+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lukaku chant

Now this.

FA covers up 'Super White Army' banner at Tranmere Rovers
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-41337127

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Now this.

FA covers up 'Super White Army' banner at Tranmere Rovers
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-41337127
    Oh no! We'll have to stop the "Red Army" chants or we might get a complaint from Sitting Bull.
    Where is this madness going to end up?

Singing about men's dicks is a bit gay.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Heard an interview with Mel Brooks today - Jewish, leftie-liberal - where he said that political correctness was killing comedy and that he would not be able to make several of his films today including Blazing Saddles. This is the Brave New World of MMM, Brassgnat and Kick It Out.
    Comedy will have to go back into the clubs, Chubby Brown was never PC was he? Not that funny either but certainly not PC.

Cuckoo

So I'm guessing Newcastle will be ok then singing black and white army?

Pure madness

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Singing about men's dicks is a bit gay.
    Homophobe.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Heard an interview with Mel Brooks today - Jewish, leftie-liberal - where he said that political correctness was killing comedy and that he would not be able to make several of his films today including Blazing Saddles. This is the Brave New World of MMM, Brassgnat and Kick It Out.
    I read the main quotes from that. I'm not convinced he is right and anyone with half a brain can see that the film is a p*ss take of small town racists. Likewise Alf Garnett, same mechanics, brilliant comedy. Love Thy Neighbour - attempted the same but was so poor in script quality it came out sounding offensive!

I would argue that if the concept and writing is sharp and observations of people astute, if it makes good political arguments and the producers feel there is a market for it, it will be made. Blazing Saddles fits all of these criteria so it was made. Tarantino's films are laced with the n-word but the films are made to a massive commercial market.

I think that where there might have been a change is that there is little market now for simple, lazy, shallow stereotypes of any society group (of which Love Thy Neighbour was a good example) and such poor comedy won't get made for this reason, not due to censorship. We generally are a bit more discerning now?

The quality of the comedy is paramount in getting made, as is the intention of the writer/producer. If they, like Brookes did see a genuine target in their society to spoof (small town racists, dreadful Hollywood ethical values etc) then good on them for doing it if that shows up their society's dreadful prejudices in all its glory.

I think the real problem for Brookes is that he quite spectacularly lost his creative genius, the writing and production of his films simply weren't sharp enough and that is the real reason now that he struggles to get films made, at least to a good standard. Sounds a bit hollow.

But I don't think we should panic about PC censoring 'all the good stuff' - those arguments have been around since the mid 90s and plenty of great non PC comedy has got through since then - hope for lots more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post

But I don't think we should panic about PC censoring 'all the good stuff' - those arguments have been around since the mid 90s and plenty of great non PC comedy has got through since then - hope for lots more to come.
    I'm not seeing it.

Last great comedies were The Office and Phoenix Nights, both early 2000s, long time since then.

Mrs Brown's Boys might not be PC but it's crap, old jokes from the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I'm not seeing it.

Last great comedies were The Office and Phoenix Nights, both early 2000s, long time since then.

Mrs Brown's Boys might not be PC but it's crap, old jokes from the 70s.
    Peep Show and Still Game.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast