+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarkowski's miss

Tarkowski's miss

Why did a centre half take a penalty ? Leeds deserved it by the look of it especially after leading twice.

Wondered why we brought Defour on after 120 and didn't give him a penalty. Was it a miss. Or a Lonergan save?

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Why did a centre half take a penalty ? Leeds deserved it by the look of it especially after leading twice.
    Watched a different game to me then , they kicked us , spoiled, fouled and eventually we switched off and let them in with IMO a very weak goal, Taylor Tarks and Long all switched off.

Add to that we missed easy chances numerous times to win the game and didn't take them, it was a poor showing tbh .

We are seriously as always ( I sound like record with a scratch init) lacking in pace, slow lethargic football. ( hope wells is fit soon as an option).

We played some decent little patches of football having said the above

I was late home because of heavy traffic and couldn't be arsed driving over to Burnley.

Didn't miss much by the sound of it?

army is correct that it was missed chances that cost us, particularly in the first half when we should have been three ahead at half time with some decent chances having been created but only one on target.
    They committed lots of niggling little fouls to break up some attacks and the referee seemed intent to hold a meeting of the university debating society for every decision he made and this stopped the flow of the game. He twice spoke to the Leeds captain about offences committed by other players instead of dealing with the relevant players. He gave countless free kicks to both teams for physical contact when it was just a matter of the bigger player easing out an opponent.
    As far as the penalty shoot out is concerned, there is no reason why Tarkowski should not have taken a penalty, he obviously wanted to, further to that, we do not know who the fifth penalty taker was because he wasn't needed.

After watching all 7 games this season it seems we are ok when we have to defend for our lives but in the games where we are expected to go toe to toe or even dominate other teams then our weaknesses are severely exposed.As Army88 said lethargic,lacking creativity and very poor finishing.
    Because of this,I think we will struggle this season.If we get beat by or draw with Huddersfield this weekend then it will cionfirm my suspicions.

Fortress Turf Moor eh, whatever happened to that ?

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Why did a centre half take a penalty ?
    My thoughts exactly; Tarks looked a class act in the heart of defence and I know he's the Captain, but to me, centre halves aren't for penalty taking and it showed; to be fair though, Leeds hit five belting penalties, Pope, Heaton nor anyone else would've stopped them going in!
    I'm rarely about to watch games live, last night's was one of perhaps two that I'll probably manage this season; oh how I hope the next one's better. Much of my thoughts covered already, Leeds were nasty/niggly, especially during the first half hour with Taylor seemingly singled out for 'special attention' and the referee really didn't get on top of it; my biggest surprise/question by the end was: How could the ref possibly have booked three Burnley players and only two from Leeeds? I'd've booked three in the first half hour! There were a lot more strange decisions, several seemingly appalling wrong offsides and it did seem or at least feel that we were on the wrong end of most of them; that said, I was sat within 40-50' of where we won our penalty and really couldn't see what the Leeds lad did wrong.
    Saw lots from BFC that I did like (Gudmundsson & Westwood much better than I'd expected), but Vokes looked flat-footed and at least two yards too slow thoughout and whilst Barnes looked a bit sharper, his decision making and the silly/pointless fouls he conceded were just woeful; how did he not get booked?
    On the night there wasn't much to choose - too many changes on both sides? - a draw was probably about right and Leeds were definitely the better at penalty taking; I'd like to be more disappointed, but if our exit/freedom from further games in the Copacabana Cup results in us gaining just one extra point in the EPL, we're as well out of it.

I am struggling with the concept that staying in the Premier League is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    I am struggling with the concept that staying in the Premier League is everything.
    It's the money donzy, it's all about the money!

Attachment 6562

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)