+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dingles Buy Out

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Billy Beane was not the creator of Moneyball Animal. He was general manager at Oakland Athletics and tried out some of the theories of Bill James. The film was very good but it is widely accepted that it hugely exaggerated Beane's role for dramatic effect. The closest thing to sabermetrics in UK football is Brentford.
    Yes I'm aware of that Tony , the truth is Billy Beane is putting his name to our model and nothing more .

You could say he may learn something from us given as we are already successful at finding undervalued talent and this isn't baseball .

Promoting the club is how I see his value and not much more .

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I know, I'm just saying these things come in cycles and I can't see the same quality of players coming through again in the near future, maybe never, when did Barnsley produce players as good as this before?

That's always in the back of your mind I'd agree , who knows ?

I also have to say that we are only at the moment fishing in a very small pond but with added investment and profile we could extend our net to reach beyond the UK .

We will have a sister club in France with Nice and that opens doors into the French / African market perhaps .

It may not come off and we may struggle under this current model but what alternative is there for a small town club competing at this level in today's market ?

I know its not to do with Barnsley but can anyone shed any light on Huddersfield's decision to close their academy? Is it just coincidence as they are now in the Prem and what does that do for the likes of Barnsleys who have of course turned all these excellent young prospects out the last couple of years?

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    I know its not to do with Barnsley but can anyone shed any light on Huddersfield's decision to close their academy? Is it just coincidence as they are now in the Prem and what does that do for the likes of Barnsleys who have of course turned all these excellent young prospects out the last couple of years?
    Simply financial. £500,000 a year cost and only one player has gone on to play regularly for the first team in 18 years apparently. Huddersfied have decided they cannot compete with bigger clubs who are "hoovering up" promising youngsters nationwide. Compensation provisions brought in under the Elite Players Performance Plan are also a problem. Huddersfield have made the sensible decision to look for 18 year olds who have progressed through big club academies but are no longer wanted.

Thanks for that Monty, I'd heard about EPPP but to be honest didn't know what it meant, just googled it now why Huddersfield and others have taken the decision to close academies, also it rams home why the national team are in such a mess and will only get worse with all the imports wages etc at the top end. Keeping back on subject it makes you realise even more what a fantastic job Barnsley have done in recent years, surely must be the best in Yorkshire which I believe the Blades were for a long time till the last few years Jagielka, Cahill and the two Kyles to name just a few
    As regards the Millers I suppose all we can do is what we are now-try and unearth a gem like Bailey King or take a chance on someone elses "rejects" like Ajayi and Onaraise, Mr Warne is doing his best in this respect

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    Thanks for that Monty, I'd heard about EPPP but to be honest didn't know what it meant, just googled it now why Huddersfield and others have taken the decision to close academies, also it rams home why the national team are in such a mess and will only get worse with all the imports wages etc at the top end. Keeping back on subject it makes you realise even more what a fantastic job Barnsley have done in recent years, surely must be the best in Yorkshire which I believe the Blades were for a long time till the last few years Jagielka, Cahill and the two Kyles to name just a few
    As regards the Millers I suppose all we can do is what we are now-try and unearth a gem like Bailey King or take a chance on someone elses "rejects" like Ajayi and Onaraise, Mr Warne is doing his best in this respect
    Thanks for your kind words mate .

I have to say many of us find our model very frustrating also .

We find these players and give them an opportunity , hours and hours goes into their development and then we lose them to richer clubs and have to start again .

We don't get the finished article , Aston Villa and co do and we have often wondered what the point was .

Hopefully under new ownership we may see the fruits of our labour and progress as a club .

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Simply financial. £500,000 a year cost and only one player has gone on to play regularly for the first team in 18 years apparently. Huddersfied have decided they cannot compete with bigger clubs who are "hoovering up" promising youngsters nationwide. Compensation provisions brought in under the Elite Players Performance Plan are also a problem. Huddersfield have made the sensible decision to look for 18 year olds who have progressed through big club academies but are no longer wanted.
    Surprised we haven't closed ours for same reason, no-one makes the first team, better young players go to Barnsley or Blades.

Could I also mention that our players are all contracted to commit several hours per month to going out into the community .

Hospital visits , schools , opening various projects and coaching young kids on an evening at the academy .

The philosophy is to produce grounded young footballers and not the stereotypical ' loads a money ' and lets have another tattoo that are ten a penny today .

The ones who don't go into the premier league end up at Mansfield now I think.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    The ones who don't go into the premier league end up at Mansfield now I think.

Like our manager...at mansfield...we're great at it...ooh, lets see...this blokes a bit too successful so we'd better get rid...it can only happen to us...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123