+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nolan signs new 3 year contract

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I think we all know that if a manager does well with us then they will at some point move onto bigger and better things. We are after all a league two club. Even in our current excellent position of 2nd in the league there are 69 clubs higher than us in the entire football league. However I would sooner this be the case than us getting managers on their way down or having failed elsewhere and keep sacking managers every season.

It's just the same with a young up and coming Manager as it is a player. Some at the first
    sniff of the big time are off like a shot. Others are prepared to grow with the clubs they are at and rise with the club.

I'd like to think that as KN has a seasons worth of managerial experience (see my KN completed thread regarding stats) then the next three years gives him an apprenticeship and the space and security to learn his managerial trade at Notts. Likewise it gives the club stability that we much crave providing he continues how he has done with both ourselves and Leyton Orient.

I always wanted us to find our own Eddie Howe. I hope we have found him, but should we achieve a promotion in those three years under Nolan and we do well in League One that's when other bigger clubs will take notice and come knocking such as what happened with Big Sam when he went to Bolton all those years ago.

Of course the idea further on is that even when Nolan does move on, the infrastructure, culture and playing style are so ingrained in the club that changing the manager doesn't even make much difference. Like Swansea when they moved up the leagues.

All a long way off, let's just hope we can keep one manager for one whole, successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Of course the idea further on is that even when Nolan does move on, the infrastructure, culture and playing style are so ingrained in the club that changing the manager doesn't even make much difference. Like Swansea when they moved up the leagues.

All a long way off, let's just hope we can keep one manager for one whole, successful season.
    I completely agree and what you have said is so very true. It is about forming the clubs identity and as you have pointed out the long term aim should be for the club to be left in a better state than it was found so could not agree more.

As you have said for this club the first part of the rebuilding process is to get a full calendar year with KN as manager which would be an achievement in itself if he is still at the club when the transfer window opens in January.

Then it will be a case of going a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Good point. I think AH would be wise to think carefully about what Nolo's best practices are - and to define the Notts club culture generally so he can determine who is and who isn't a good fit going forward.

Just guessing, but Alan Smith also appears to be having a significant influence on Notts' culture as it is becoming formed.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    I think we all know that if a manager does well with us then they will at some point move onto bigger and better things. We are after all a league two club. Even in our current excellent position of 2nd in the league there are 69 clubs higher than us in the entire football league. However I would sooner this be the case than us getting managers on their way down or having failed elsewhere and keep sacking managers every season.

It's just the same with a young up and coming Manager as it is a player. Some at the first
    sniff of the big time are off like a shot. Others are prepared to grow with the clubs they are at and rise with the club.

I'd like to think that as KN has a seasons worth of managerial experience (see my KN completed thread regarding stats) then the next three years gives him an apprenticeship and the space and security to learn his managerial trade at Notts. Likewise it gives the club stability that we much crave providing he continues how he has done with both ourselves and Leyton Orient.

I always wanted us to find our own Eddie Howe. I hope we have found him, but should we achieve a promotion in those three years under Nolan and we do well in League One that's when other bigger clubs will take notice and come knocking such as what happened with Big Sam when he went to Bolton all those years ago.
    The good thing is Nolan is a multi millionaire so he certainly won't be leaving for the money side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyNotts View Post
    The good thing is Nolan is a multi millionaire so he certainly won't be leaving for the money side of things.
    That's a great point too. Allardyce was probably lured by the cash as much as the chance to return to Bolton, but Nolo would be more immune to that kind of enticement. We hope.

Anybody know why Eddie Howe never moved on I'm sure there were some takers for him?

Undoubtedly KN will move on. Was his recruitment lucky or does AH and his team of advisers know how to find and recruit quality management. This will be important for the long term.

Finally, What is the gentleman's agreement from KN, to get us into the championship? because I'm sure AH is a shrude businessman so will not be agreeing to something like that with out something in return.

Ps. Is it true KN is moving his family to Nottingham?

Eddie Howe did move on briefly to Burnley. But Bournemouth bought in loads of money and he moved back to complete the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by spag View Post
    Anybody know why Eddie Howe never moved on I'm sure there were some takers for him?

Undoubtedly KN will move on. Was his recruitment lucky or does AH and his team of advisers know how to find and recruit quality management. This will be important for the long term.

Finally, What is the gentleman's agreement from KN, to get us into the championship? because I'm sure AH is a shrude businessman so will not be agreeing to something like that with out something in return.

Ps. Is it true KN is moving his family to Nottingham?
    Like any quality ambitious young manager he will of course want to better himself one day but I would say we should have him for the next 2 and a bit seasons. He still hasn't actually achieved anything of note however but signs are of course positive. It won't come down to the money we pay necessarily but it will come down to how much investment can be made in the club to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Like any quality ambitious young manager he will of course want to better himself one day but I would say we should have him for the next 2 and a bit seasons. He still hasn't actually achieved anything of note however but signs are of course positive. It won't come down to the money we pay necessarily but it will come down to how much investment can be made in the club to keep him.
    Nolan has the making s of a top manager, hopefully he will be with us long enough to take us into the Championship at the very least.

This will depend on the gates going up at Meadow Lane to help fund this, along with some very astute investment in home grown talent & shrewd investment by Alan Hardy.

All looks rosy at the moment, 4 promotions in 5 years does not seem like an impossibility at this moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowse View Post
    All looks rosy at the moment, 4 promotions in 5 years does not seem like an impossibility at this moment in time.
    Yep, our ascent to the champions league is a mere formality.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast