+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I'll say this

I'll say this

I love having Rafa here. He's already achieved more than most managers would have, and that's with a sometimes strained relationship to Charnley and Ashley (but never the fans).

However, the Chronicle - and certain fans - are already calling him a legend. To me it takes a bit more - least not time - to earn that title. The Chron just wrote an article about how he's united the team and built a band of brothers, etc. Yes, he did really well with a not completely superior team in the fizzy, and all credit goes to him. But we're 5 games into the PL season, and a lot can happen (and I'm sure a lot will) from this point on. I feel like some sports journalists are getting carried away with this 'Rafa is a legend' thing. Then on the other hand you have morons like Merson who gives Rafael no credit and thinks we'll lose every match, though we keep proving him wrong.

I'd rather say this; Rafa is an excellent, sympathetic, lovely man and I sometimes still can't believe that he's actually our manager. I'm that excited about having him here. But a legend is something else to me. Like I said, that title simply requires a lot more time and a stabil run of results in the PL over seasons, not months or weeks.

Mind, if the puzzle turns out right, he's got every chance of becoming one at NUFC with the loyalty he's shown and the changes he's already made. I just think it's too soon to be throwing around these words, it's too easy - it's almost discrediting as I feel he can do a lot more for us, if the board gives him the chance and backing to do so.

I expect to get battered now but hey, if this isn't a discussion forum, what is it?

no fans think Rafa is a legend yet ...

but, they want desperately for him to become one, and the best way for that to happen, is, everybody pulling in the same direction.

Phuck Ashley, if Rafa, the players and the fans all buy into the same philosophy, we may just have a bit of fun along the way, and break into the top 10.

then take it from there.. legends are built up over years.

let's just enjoy the moment, not over react to every defeat, and see where it takes us!

Agree-haven't heard any fans saying that although nothing would surprise me about the Chronic.

Totally agree with your post though, Hughie-all the ingredients are there for him to become one...which gives me an idea...

*nips off to create thread

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)