+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MR. Beane.

MR. Beane.

It comes up Not Found but on this page press the Search Box above and in between About us and Contacts you'll get it.

September 18 – The £20 million takeover of Championship club Barnsley looks likely to complete in the next two weeks when the English Football League complete their integrity tests on the proposed new ownership group of Chinese billionaire Chien Lee and US businessman Paul Conway.

Together with ‘Moneyball’ guru Billy Beane, they will hold 98.5% of the club, their first English club acquisition though Lee has previously shown acquisition interest in a number of Championship clubs including Hull City, Reading, Queens Park Rangers, and Sunderland.

What makes Barnsley particularly interesting is the relatively low acquisition price – £20 million plus £5 million of debt – for what could be a realistic shot at the Premier League if the data-driven philosophy gives the team a competitive edge.

That remains to be seen but current owner Patrick Cryne has already established a stats and analysis based approach within the playing side of the club that makes the new owners, and Beane in particular, an interesting fit.

On the commercial side Barnsley are well run, having made a profit of £13 million last year and having stated that their intention is to buy the other half of the Oakwell Stadium owned by the council. The stadium requires investment in a facelift but is certainly serviceable at the current level.

For his part Cryne is keen to sell the club, though the negotiations appear to have been protracted. Cryne, suffering from terminal cancer, has said he does not expect to live through the end of this year, though he will retain a 1.5% interest in a club.

Two weeks ago chairman Maurice Watkins, a sports industry and sports law veteran, stood down from the position. With him leaves a wealth of football experience and contacts that can’t be replaced by data alone – even with the newest of the self-learning AI algorithms.

For Lee and his co-investors Barnsley will be their second European club, having taken over at OGC Nice in France’s Ligue 1 last year. That takeover has generally been viewed as a success. The punt on Barnsley will likely only be viewed as a success if they can take that giant step into the Premier League. It looks like also being a test of how successful the data driven approach can deliver performance goals in football – a very different game with a greater set of variables than Baseball where Billy Beane made his name with the Oakland Athletics.
    Last edited by EastStandRed; 18-09-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    I cant make nowt work it's a good job there's people like you ESR on hand to rectify.

Quote Originally Posted by upthecolliers View Post
    I cant make nowt work it's a good job there's people like you ESR on hand to rectify.
    No probs Mr C

That bit about Maurice Watkins makes me laugh , not sure what he took credit for really apart from signing Dale Jennings

Has Mr Watkins had to resign so he can act for Mr Cryne in the take over, and not be compromised as an employee of the club..( conflict of interest) so when the payment arrives he gets a wodge as Lawyer, as he wouldn't get nowt as a CEO

Well old animal is as intrigued by Billy Beane at Oakwell as the next man .

The funny thing is I only saw the film for the first time a few months ago and thought of our club straight away as the story unfolded .

I'd never heard of the guy before watching the film and I always thought US sports such as baseball and american football were all fairly equal because of the college draft system which is designed so the same teams can't dominate .

Oakland is a fairly blue collar city and a poor relation to San Francisco just across the bay , I've an interest in baseball in as much as I watch a highlights programme on BT sport and the odd match , sometimes it can be very boring in a low scoring game and yet can also provide extreme drama with a team a few runs behind who load the bases and then some dude hits a home run and all four get home and turn the game on its head , some of the homers are unbelievable , those top batters knock em out of the stadium and that ball is travelling at great speed , curving , diping and god knows what else .

I once had a go on a computer game , reality WI MLB , your havin a laff trying to hit that fecker , it was past you before you could blink , rounders it aint .

Billy Beane didn't invent Moneyball by the way , he was the chief recipient of it , some saddo kid with a liking for baseball , stats , computer programmes and too much time on his hands did and Billy hired him .

The kid taught Billy the system and how to analyze the stats , not a clue where that kid is today .

I think this is an important point , some kid had to learn Billy about his own game , the game he played in the majors and brought him to Oakland as General Manager when he retired .

So clearly Billy thinks he can add value to our model using a system he didn't even invent and in a game he doesn't really know .

I'll tell you here and now Hecky might not fancy this , I suspect there's one or two players at the club today Hecky doesn't care for and that's with football people and Cryne junior blowing in his ear .

Interesting times at the club , to say the least .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 18-09-2017 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Has Mr Watkins had to resign so he can act for Mr Cryne in the take over, and not be compromised as an employee of the club..( conflict of interest) so when the payment arrives he gets a wodge as Lawyer, as he wouldn't get nowt as a CEO

Jules how can you think such thoughts?

I know ...... weshin mi mouth out as I write

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post
    September 18 – The £20 million takeover of Championship club Barnsley looks likely to complete in the next two weeks when the English Football League complete their integrity tests on the proposed new ownership group of Chinese billionaire Chien Lee and US businessman Paul Conway.

Together with ‘Moneyball’ guru Billy Beane, they will hold 98.5% of the club, their first English club acquisition though Lee has previously shown acquisition interest in a number of Championship clubs including Hull City, Reading, Queens Park Rangers, and Sunderland.

What makes Barnsley particularly interesting is the relatively low acquisition price – £20 million plus £5 million of debt – for what could be a realistic shot at the Premier League if the data-driven philosophy gives the team a competitive edge.

That remains to be seen but current owner Patrick Cryne has already established a stats and analysis based approach within the playing side of the club that makes the new owners, and Beane in particular, an interesting fit.

On the commercial side Barnsley are well run, having made a profit of £13 million last year and having stated that their intention is to buy the other half of the Oakwell Stadium owned by the council. The stadium requires investment in a facelift but is certainly serviceable at the current level.

For his part Cryne is keen to sell the club, though the negotiations appear to have been protracted. Cryne, suffering from terminal cancer, has said he does not expect to live through the end of this year, though he will retain a 1.5% interest in a club.

Two weeks ago chairman Maurice Watkins, a sports industry and sports law veteran, stood down from the position. With him leaves a wealth of football experience and contacts that can’t be replaced by data alone – even with the newest of the self-learning AI algorithms.

For Lee and his co-investors Barnsley will be their second European club, having taken over at OGC Nice in France’s Ligue 1 last year. That takeover has generally been viewed as a success. The punt on Barnsley will likely only be viewed as a success if they can take that giant step into the Premier League. It looks like also being a test of how successful the data driven approach can deliver performance goals in football – a very different game with a greater set of variables than Baseball where Billy Beane made his name with the Oakland Athletics.

& I thought we were debt free??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast