+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dominating the Wolves

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    I was at that game as well, In fact a couple of years ago I posted on both boards to see if anyone could remember it. Got no reply so I began to think I had dreamed it. In my memory it was abandoned mid way through the first half but there you go. I do remember I was standing behind the Baggies goal and the snow was pouring towards your keeper horizontally, poor sod couldn't see a thing.

Thanks for the memory anyway.
    You could be correct Woodsland, it's such a long time ago now that the memory plays tricks. It's just that in my mind I thought it was half-time. What I do remember is the snow falling off the roof of the stand behind one of the goals and soaking the fans underneath. As you say, great memories.

I was at that game as well, In fact a couple of years ago I posted on both boards to see if anyone could remember it. Got no reply so I began to think I had dreamed it. In my memory it was abandoned mid way through the first half but there you go. I do remember I was standing behind the Baggies goal and the snow was pouring towards your keeper horizontally, poor sod couldn't see a thing.

Thanks for the memory anyway.
    I must have missed your post Woodlands. I would certainly have made a few comments. But did anybody else go to the 0-7 horror? Or not horror in your case Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    I must have missed your post Woodlands. I would certainly have made a few comments. But did anybody else go to the 0-7 horror? Or not horror in your case Wood.
    For some reason I have no recollection of the 7-0 game which is unusual for me. I don't gloat but I would have thought I would have had some recall. Patchy memory I guess, comes with age. Bummer.

For some reason I have no recollection of the 7-0 game which is unusual for me. I don't gloat but I would have thought I would have had some recall. Patchy memory I guess, comes with age. Bummer.
    You had me doubting it for a moment Woodland. So I looked it up

March 16 1963. Attendance 22,618.

The other day, on a different topic, I said that I was going to stop posting on this forum. I am not going to repeat my reasons and I'm glad to say that I have found an alternative site which doesn't have the personal abuse that forced my decision.

The topic of this thread brings to mind the question that I've asked myself time after time - "Why can't supporters of different clubs get on with each other.Why does there have to be the nastiness that prevails?"

I have therefore looked into this statement of "Dominating the Wolves" and must question this. Have we really done this? Maybe over the last 10 years, but if you look back at the total games played between the two clubs, since the first game in 1886, the two clubs have, I am informed, met on 156 occasions. West Brom have won 63 of these (40%), Wolves have won 51 (33%) and we have drawn 42 games (27%).

Now the question is do these statistics show dominance?

Sorry baggieal and baggieblood, I sincerely hope you are not affected by these figures and that you will not require your vomit bucket!

Farewell
    Last edited by sweeper5; 23-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Good afternoon Sweep, I hope that you are well. Gladdened to hear you’ve discovered a posting environment more to your liking.

Over the years Albion v Wolves has proved a hotly contested fixture with a close record. In an overall context such as this there has clearly been no domination one way or the other.

However, in the threads opening post 9Goals refers to the balance of results over his son’s thirty year life span. In that time I believe we have played Wolves on 31 occasions, losing seven, drawing ten and winning four****. His son has attended ten of those fixtures and never witnessed a Wolves victory.

So from his son’s perspective it could indeed be suggested we’ve enjoyed the better of things by a considerable margin, and one alluding to a certain level of dominance.

All the very best to you Sweep in your ongoing quest for greater tolerance, understanding and harmonious interactions across the largely partisan and tribalistic football supporting world .

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Good afternoon Sweep, I hope that you are well. Gladdened to hear you’ve discovered a posting environment more to your liking.

Over the years Albion v Wolves has proved a hotly contested fixture with a close record. In an overall context such as this there has clearly been no domination one way or the other.

However, in the threads opening post 9Goals refers to the balance of results over his son’s thirty year life span. In that time I believe we have played Wolves on 31 occasions, losing seven, drawing ten and winning four****. His son has attended ten of those fixtures and never witnessed a Wolves victory.

So from his son’s perspective it could indeed be suggested we’ve enjoyed the better of things by a considerable margin, and one alluding to a certain level of dominance.

All the very best to you Sweep in your ongoing quest for greater tolerance, understanding and harmonious interactions across the largely partisan and tribalistic football supporting world .
    wheres that bl00dy like button when you need it?well said Albionic

Sorry you found my post nasty Sweep. Don't quite understand what is nasty about it just stating a stat that I get enjoyment from (wish I could say the same about my time v the Villa.) Personally I think it's a sad day if we can't poke a bit of fun at the expense of our rivals without resorting to abuse,
    Sometime in the 90's a Wolves fan and I had a disagreement about which of had won most BCD's which resulted in a £10 bet. After checking he claimed the tenner based on they had won the most league games. I countered with our FA Cup wins which put us in front. He wouldn't accept these. So we never settled the bet.

Glad to say we are now ahead on both. So it is close, just not in my lad's time.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Sorry you found my post nasty Sweep. Don't quite understand what is nasty about it just stating a stat that I get enjoyment from (wish I could say the same about my time v the Villa.) Personally I think it's a sad day if we can't poke a bit of fun at the expense of our rivals without resorting to abuse,
    Sometime in the 90's a Wolves fan and I had a disagreement about which of had won most BCD's which resulted in a £10 bet. After checking he claimed the tenner based on they had won the most league games. I countered with our FA Cup wins which put us in front. He wouldn't accept these. So we never settled the bet.

Glad to say we are now ahead on both. So it is close, just not in my lad's time.
    Sorry, perhaps my wording didn't convey exactly what I was referring to, I certainly didn't find your post nasty, may be more exaggerated. My reference of nastiness referred to what goes on at some matches and afterwards' I haven't experienced the same level of vitriol when watching or even supporting other sports. Good natured fun/banter is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post

Thanks for your best wishes, Albionic,

Referring to your stats of played 31, W14 (45%), D10 (32%) and L7 (23%) to me these still do not show that we have had any level of "dominance" - they are not far different to the overall picture which I gave. Yes, we have been the better, but surely not dominating. However, we all interpret things differently.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)