+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlisle

Red face Carlisle

So...are we on the slide or will we bounce back against Carlisle? Which Shaun Miller will we see? Will he score or see red? I think it depends on the set-up we have . I agree with people on another post who think we lack a winger- we need to get behind more often OR someone who can slip a striker through the middle. Whatever, we need to raid down the wings and get their defenders facing the wrong way. In terms of personnel, I'm hoping DA will stick with the lot we've playing except for maybe shifting Nolan to RB.
    So score? stick my neck out and say......2-1 to the Alex. (oh dear, I've done it, now!)

Following two disappointing displays, culminating in zero points, I would think that Artell will now make some changes to his side, in order to "shake them up". Perhaps it would be an idea now to try Grant once again in midfield, together with Walker in that role for the first time this season. The lad on loan from Wigan has not featured as yet, so perhaps now is the time to slot him into a central defensive role alongside Raynes. If Perry is still out, then the use of Nolan at RB is the best fit. Need to halt this sequence of defeats with at least a draw against Carlisle.

Whatever Artell does tactically, he needs to work out what went wrong with the team ethic and solve it. We have a good enough squad (just my opinion) to do well in this division; they need motivating.
    I'm bringing a mate as a guest (Plymouth fan), so I do not want egg on my face if the performance is not, at the very least, entertaining. From what I saw v. Chesterfield and read/heard about Exeter, we have a long way to go.
    3 points - no fewer.

I think that we need to use Daggers in his natural position up top and play him alongside Porter. I think that he wastes a lot of energy in the wrong places. I realise that it would mean a change in formation but that is where he played scoring all his goals the second half of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester View Post
    Whatever Artell does tactically, he needs to work out what went wrong with the team ethic and solve it. We have a good enough squad (just my opinion) to do well in this division; they need motivating.
    I'm bringing a mate as a guest (Plymouth fan), so I do not want egg on my face if the performance is not, at the very least, entertaining. From what I saw v. Chesterfield and read/heard about Exeter, we have a long way to go.
    3 points - no fewer.
    From what I saw against Chesterfield (5-1), the team were well "motivated", Richard. They played some lovely football on the ground and not in the clouds. Exciting football, that most thoroughly enjoyed, unless you were from Derbyshire, that is. Now against Cambridge was a different scenario. As much as we huffed and puffed, we could not blow their house down. They were too big, strong and well organised for that.

I'm at Wycombe on Tuesday - glutton for punishment!
    Stuffed 5-0 there almost a year to the day, and they have Akinfenwa, Nathan Tyson and Craig Mackail-Smith as a front 3.
    Not what you would want to face, especially after today's debacle.

So something's got to give, something's got to change.
    I cannot believe it will be the same starting 11 on Tuesday - so after today, how many would you say are for the chop?

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    I'm at Wycombe on Tuesday - glutton for punishment!
    Stuffed 5-0 there almost a year to the day, and they have Akinfenwa, Nathan Tyson and Craig Mackail-Smith as a front 3.
    Not what you would want to face, especially after today's debacle.

So something's got to give, something's got to change.
    I cannot believe it will be the same starting 11 on Tuesday - so after today, how many would you say are for the chop?
    Can't see Grant starting. Apart from that, your guess is as good as mine. Cooper anonymous again. Wintle played out of position. Thought Pickering and Owen looked lively. The sooner we get Walker into midfield the better.

Some very big questions to be answered.
    Motivation -zero.
    Someone asked about awarding the Alex MotM. I replied: "It is the immense power of irony."

At least Artell did not pass this comment after the biggest loss he had incurred in his reign: "If you took away their five goals, then there was nothing between the teams". One such manager did make that idiotic comment after we were resoundly beaten 5-0 by Coventry a couple of years back. Not only was Artell responsible for this defeat today (team selection, tactics etc.), but the players also have to take their share of the blame. My man of the match was the ref. Best we have seen all season. You hardly noticed him.

Sorry everyone! I won't be optimistic again!
    That was absolutely awful. Carlisle weren't particularly good or anything but that was the worst I've seen us for a long time, even during the SD era.
    I'm surprised Ainley got MOTM - ok he did run around a bit but not always at the right time. We're still playing too narrow and found it difficult to understand why Zooms wasn't brought on.
    I'm worried about the line-ups we're presenting- just because you have a lot of attack-minded players doesn't mean that we will be an attacking force. The team needs to be built from the back and has to play to a formation that works for us.
    We have two good 'in-the-box' finishers BUT why is one of them having to go back to the half-way line to actually get a touch of the ball and why is the other only receiving the ball outside the box with his back to the goal? As I've said before we need to use the wings and get behind their defence to deliver the ball to the feet of our proven strikers.
    I'm suggesting 4-4-2. This formation will mean that DA has to make some hard decisions and drop those who don't fit. The middle four could be a diamond with two wide men but there would have to be one who is protecting the defence. This would also mean that Dagnall and Porter can play off each other and maybe Ainley or Dale (or Grant) can be the front point of the diamond . It would also mean that Lowery would find it hard to find a place despite the fact I think he has great potential.
    The other alternative is 4-1-3-2 and this would allow Lowery a place and hopefully the '1' would mean the midfield three could push further forward (which they aren't doing at the moment!!)
    We do have the players but too many don't seem to be comfortable with what they have to do- the sooner Walker can fix his spot as defensive cover for midfield, the better. Now that we have Perry back we have everyone we need for either of the above formations to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast