+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Club legends

Quote Originally Posted by ronandtet View Post
    Joe Harvey
    a real legend. he must be cos he has his own plaque/tribute on the walls of st james's for evermore

actually the most successful manager we have ever had - was pretty succseesful during his playing days too - perhaps most successful there too ??? close runner up anyway

To go with post 27 - Big John

Name:  big john 2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  50.2 KB

he had that knack of peeing off opponents lol

Top of my list for how he made me feel when on the pitch and his black and white passion off it and one of the very few players (in my time) that ever gave me a feeling of being winners, is....Alan Shearer.
    Never in my life of being a Newcastle United fan beats the off field elation of the anticipation and then the actual unveiling of Alan Shearer before the crowd.
    Seeing his passion and goals as he hassled and harried and bullied his opponents into submission and then producing some spectacular moments, time and time again.

An absolute legend from my time.

Hughies Gallagher and Jackie Milburn and....the list could be almost endless, are legends and are what steeps this club in the history that it has, naturally, but I never had the privilege of seeing any of them in the flesh, on the pitch which could be due to me not even being part of an army of sperms at the time.

Supermac was the hero of my young boy time and deserves an obvious mention.

Kevin Keegan is obviously a legend, although it's a shame that a bitter taste had to be left in his two managerial tenures.
    However, as a player, he planted Newcastle United back on the map along with the great Arthur Cox who, although may not appear to be a legend in many people's eyes...he was to me. I somehow felt the black and white within him in his time at Newcastle.

David Ginola. Another player that gave me many happy times. A player that gave me the opportunity to boast. A footballing master who gave me the excitement of having something happen whenever he got the ball.
    Not a long Newcastle career but definitely a stand out player in putting Newcastle up into the footballing elite.

Phillipe Albert. A towering centre back who had it all and loved the club. His classic chip over Schmeichel added a nice big fat cherry to his legendary cake.

Peter (the little genius) Beardsley. OBVIOUSLY....TO BE FAIR....TREMENDOUS. Absolute top class footballing magician and a true Newcastle United legend of the highest order.

Shay Given. A slight blot on his copybook in leaving the club but a true legend in my eyes. Gave us all of his best years and they were pretty good years from him.

I could obviously go on and on.
    Some people mention Gazza. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, there's plenty more legends but too many to name.

Quote Originally Posted by toonlegend View Post
    a real legend. he must be cos he has his own plaque/tribute on the walls of st james's for evermore

actually the most successful manager we have ever had - was pretty succseesful during his playing days too - perhaps most successful there too ??? close runner up anyway
    Loved Harvey but as a player he won 2 FA Cups,Mitchell and Milburn won 3. Stan Seymour won the League and Cup as a player
    and was in charge during the 3 FA Cup wins in the 50s.Even when a manager was appointed before the 55 final Seymour over ruled him and played Milburn who scored in the first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Top of my list for how he made me feel when on the pitch and his black and white passion off it and one of the very few players (in my time) that ever gave me a feeling of being winners, is....Alan Shearer.
    Never in my life of being a Newcastle United fan beats the off field elation of the anticipation and then the actual unveiling of Alan Shearer before the crowd.
    Seeing his passion and goals as he hassled and harried and bullied his opponents into submission and then producing some spectacular moments, time and time again.

An absolute legend from my time.

Hughies Gallagher and Jackie Milburn and....the list could be almost endless, are legends and are what steeps this club in the history that it has, naturally, but I never had the privilege of seeing any of them in the flesh, on the pitch which could be due to me not even being part of an army of sperms at the time.

Supermac was the hero of my young boy time and deserves an obvious mention.

Kevin Keegan is obviously a legend, although it's a shame that a bitter taste had to be left in his two managerial tenures.
    However, as a player, he planted Newcastle United back on the map along with the great Arthur Cox who, although may not appear to be a legend in many people's eyes...he was to me. I somehow felt the black and white within him in his time at Newcastle.

David Ginola. Another player that gave me many happy times. A player that gave me the opportunity to boast. A footballing master who gave me the excitement of having something happen whenever he got the ball.
    Not a long Newcastle career but definitely a stand out player in putting Newcastle up into the footballing elite.

Phillipe Albert. A towering centre back who had it all and loved the club. His classic chip over Schmeichel added a nice big fat cherry to his legendary cake.

Peter (the little genius) Beardsley. OBVIOUSLY....TO BE FAIR....TREMENDOUS. Absolute top class footballing magician and a true Newcastle United legend of the highest order.

Shay Given. A slight blot on his copybook in leaving the club but a true legend in my eyes. Gave us all of his best years and they were pretty good years from him.

I could obviously go on and on.
    Some people mention Gazza. I'm not so sure.

Anyway, there's plenty more legends but too many to name.
    I have to agree with all of those sentiments Ghost but those two with the problems, albeit different ones were debatable.

i.e. Kegan's problems over two spells. The first, had he come as far as he could and his contention was more with FFS than Sir John. And the second spell, well considering what he was promised by Ashley, then for no reason was intimidated by having to work with or under that SLUG, Pen1s the UNWISE. That would test anyone's patience especially following the promises broken and proven in court concerning Ashley.

As far as Gazza was concerned, I always feel we had the best out of him and his downhill deterioration war accelerated by the high life at Spuds. I wonder how he would have fared under Sir Bobby had they been here at the same time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)