+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club legends

Club legends

Right, then. Following on from Hughie's thread, who do we consider to be a club legend. Not going to go through them all -folk can put their own particular favourite in (much as i believe the board is fine, P'boro's post made me pull me finger out cos it's sometimes easy just to let others hoy up threads)

For me, it's a toss-up between Big Al and Keegan. Both were involved-at different times-in giving me some of my best ever times supporting Newcastle. I'll go for Shearer over Keegan partly because he was here for so much longer, partly because he had that 'extra' bit in front of the word 'legend', i.e. local. Not just a legend to us, though-he is internationally known and recognised as such (gets you extra points on the 'legend leaderboard', y'see. )

The (well, some) mackems like to bleat on about Arca ending his career. All Arca did was ensure that his record-defining goal and the last goal of an incredible career was scored against them.

And I was there.

Over to you...

Can we just nominate one zippity as I would have to ponder for ages over many eras.

Milburn because of his 3 FA Cup wins and scoring in two of them.
    Also like me he was an underground Fitter,when he was still a part time player in the 1940s he once was working on a coalcutter on a coalface on Friday night shift,without any sleep he got a lift from Ashington to SJP and scored twice in the old second division.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Can we just nominate one zippity as I would have to ponder for ages over many eras.
    Ponder away, Pat. The thread's going nowhere unless that mysterious planet does indeed wipe us all out tomorrow.

And to think...Myleene's never had the chance to meet me.

my legend wasn't a "great" player, but a "great" in my eyes..

I was a (half) decent GK in my younger days, before shift work killed my team sport passions.

and until recently I've done a little bit of goalkeeper coaching with my kids Sunday morning teams.

my goalkeeping legend, isn't even the best keeper I've seen at the club, but he would be the man I would put between the sticks above all others

Pavel Srnicek is my legend.

my favourite TOON player of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Ponder away, Pat. The thread's going nowhere unless that mysterious planet does indeed wipe us all out tomorrow.

Poor lass - i wonder how she's coping deep down she knows there is a Zippity hole in her life

For me it would be Shearer to.

Although good shout on Pav.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Poor lass - i wonder how she's coping deep down she knows there is a Zippity hole in her life

For me it would be Shearer to.

Although good shout on Pav.
    Quote of the week for me like... a zippity hole...in a Myleene...quote
    Were you pharaphrasing..Jamster....

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

I'm sure Myleene's rushing over to be at your side in case the disaster happens, but on a lighter note--------

Like yourself I was torn between KK and Shearer, also for the same reasons as Mick I'd include the great Jackie Milburn.

Very difficult to put any of these three ahead of the other two but if I had to it would be Keegan because of his first two out of three stints coming first as a player and giving his all and second time as a rookie manager who got it right first time.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    I'm sure Myleene's rushing over to be at your side in case the disaster happens, but on a lighter note--------

Like yourself I was torn between KK and Shearer, also for the same reasons as Mick I'd include the great Jackie Milburn.

Very difficult to put any of these three ahead of the other two but if I had to it would be Keegan because of his first two out of three stints coming first as a player and giving his all and second time as a rookie manager who got it right first time.
    Sorry Pat but IM IN THE HE GOT IT WRONG CAMP...Sorry for shouting,,fe c king caps lock lol..
    Ok it was a hell of a ride,dont get me wrong..But howay man,you cant just concentrate on the first team and shut everything down FFS.
    We are talking about KK as a modernish day manager,because of the timeline obviously.Lets face it though the man was a dinosaur...

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    Quote of the week for me like... a zippity hole...in a Myleene...quote
    Were you pharaphrasing..Jamster....

Would i Ash

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)