+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of energy sparked Pompey upheaval...

Lack of energy sparked Pompey upheaval...

KENNY JACKETT is looking for a settled formula to deliver success to Pompey. And the Blues manager has outlined plans to keep changes to a minimum after a busy time of change at Fratton Park. After an expected period of steady evolution, Jackett has signed nine players since arriving at the club at the start of June. That included bringing in four players on transfer deadline day and moving out the same number. Jackett felt that was necessary to sort what he felt was a dearth of energy in his side. The 55-year-old explained he’s now looking to minimalise upheaval - a stance seen in recent team selections. One change was made for the win over Fleetwood last weekend, with just a single switch made in the starting XI against Northampton. Jackett stated he now anticipates few changes moving forward. He said: ‘The window has closed so it’s clear, consistent formation and clear, consistent team selection after a period of change.‘ I felt at the start we were functional and competitive but I didn’t think we were sparkling. I didn’t think we had enough energy and I felt we were going through games without creating too many chances.‘ Hence we wanted to make some changes. Some have come through players being injured or people coming back from injury. ‘We’ve had some key ones. Thompson and Clarke have come back and played very well. They’ve really helped us.‘But, yes, it’s energy, attacking force and the ability to create chances. ‘We’ve won two out of three and the one we lost we could have won on any other day. It wasn’t a bad performance at all. We want to build on that and play with that attitude and energy.’Jackett explained the early-season defeat against Oxford fuelled his belief change was needed. He said: ‘We’ve had some energy and ability to create chances. We were okay at the start of the season but I did think we were functional. ‘We didn’t create too many chances in a number of games. ‘Against Oxford, by the end, they were too big, too strong and too quick for us. ‘The result showed that. At 1-0 down we should have been pushing to come back. We weren’t. It went from 1-0 to 3-0 pretty quickly and could’ve been more. ‘So we had until August 31 to sort it. We couldn’t even it out through September and October.’ Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/fo...aval-1-8161829

Read more at: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/fo...aval-1-8161829

Early days but things seem to be gradually progressing at FP. KJ's interviews are great to listen to - upfront about things, no bad attitude toward questions and can see how players - particularly younger ones - develop well under him.

The recent Eric Eisner interview was good in that he seemed a lot more relaxed and personable than previous appearances. I like the 'hands off' approach they have towards KJ and Catlin. A long, long way to go of course.

Since we won at Wimbledon (no world beaters with due respect) we have only taken 3 points from 9. I am not convinced KJ is picking the right team but he is the Manager and sees them every training day. Defensive lapses and missed chances away continue to haunt us. So for me it's 2 massive home games this week. I should not fear the worst but with my eldest down from Cumbria for both, I must say his win record at Fp is pretty awful recently. Daz is down for the Oldham game so fingers x for 2 decent performances from whatever team KJ picks.

A couple of home wins on the trot would be very welcome. I'm not hoping for much this season. If it turns out the same as Cooks first one then I'd be happy as not sure we're ready to deal with the Championship at the moment in terms of infrastructure. More knowledgable supporters will know better than me though.

I really enjoyed last night especially the 2nd half. Don't think we are good enough to get that many points on the road (hopefully I'm wrong). So many Div 1 teams are capable of beating each other, lots of twists and turns to come as always. As for the future the wages being paid to some Championship players I read of is frightening. I'm sure we'll get there one day, what happens then who knows. Well done Enda for being one of those well paid, he has a winning Sheffield Derby to savour now. P.U.P.

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue View Post
    So many Div 1 teams are capable of beating each other, lots of twists and turns to come as always. As for the future the wages being paid to some Championship players I read of is frightening.
    Have a look at who Warlock has bought/loaned for us (). Crocked players; disruptive players; old players and we are top of the league with a very capable squad. I think the most expensive signing was less than £2m. The owner loves him! And we gave the mighty Leeds a bloody nose last night!

Yes they really are going well. Time you visited your spiritual home again Lassie.

Why the hell were some fans singing "we are staying up" today!? That's what it sounded like. It's only October FFS!

Mid table for me, not good enough to go up but good enough to stay out of the relegation scrap. However how I would love to take 3 points Saturday (for once winning 2 consecutive league games).

Yes, would also like to see some consistency. But I think KJ is right for the club - whether success comes next season or after. His track record is very good and seems to have a lot of respect within football.

Mid-table/verging on play-offs is fine with me. Even making the play-offs and losing would be fine. I think the priority is Fratton Park - do we stay or do we go. Either will cost a lot of money. I keep reading/hearing ridiculous expectations from some fans wanting Eisner to chuck in loads of money for the team and other issues. If they'd listen and take in Catlin's monthly updates that'd help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)