+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell v Aberdeen league

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    - That was attritional stuff.
    - Defensively much better.
    - Thought Arnason & McKenna were solid
    - assisted by O'Connor who played a strange "front sweeper" type role in front of them.
    - Shinnie was more like his usual "ratty" self. Good to see.
    - going forward we were poor.
    - next week think should stick with Arnie & McKenna.
    - maybe bring in a wide player though instead of Tansey or O'Connor.
    I have to say hats off to McInnes in playing McKenna and Arnason,hopefully he sticks with them for the St Johnstone game because they will be just as physical as Motherwells front 2.

So we won despite the tombola. That's never happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    the happy clappers & I'll take it merchants, will be joyous,
    anyone else with a footballing brain, will be not so impressed.
    Yup although to be fair the ball was rarely on the deck and Well stuck to their game plan of not allowing anyone with an ounce of skill anytime on the ball.

Kipre was outstanding.

In terms of technical ability it was one of the worst SPL games I have ever witnessed

Quote Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
    the happy clappers & I'll take it merchants, will be joyous,
    anyone else with a footballing brain, will be not so impressed

Wonder what Tommy Wright was thinking in the stand there.
    I was quite chuffed with the result after Thirsday's debacle but your post has set me straight and I'm off to slit my wrists.

I am not Big Andy C biggest fan. I know he plays for the shirt and Aberdeen
    Seems to be better upfront than at the back. Fair play to him

Great result, performance not to worried about, it was all about getting the win . Nothing more nothing less

Missed first half hour, but from what I did see, our defence looked solid and well organised - best defensive performance in a while. Keep McKenna and Arnason from here on in please. In fact, get McKenna on long term contract, decent CH's are like hen's teeth in Scotland just now. Even the tims are struggling in that dept and I notice certain weegia tweeters are already raving about him today and his Scotland U20 performances.

Our attacking threat didn't amount to much, but we did get that all important goal. Christie's quick feet are unbelievable at times and that's what led to the goal. The M'Well defence aren't scared to mix it though and I thought their big ugly heffer of a CH was lucky to get away with a forearm to the back of Christie's neck, while another of their players got off the hook with a challenge on May that was similar to Christie's on their player on Thursday. Wonder if that will get equal scrutiny on Sportscene tonight; Doubt it.

Motherwell were and always have been a very physical(dirty) team and it never fails to amaze me when certain parts of the media describe it like this is a new aspect to their style. We played them at their own game and won, it wasn't pretty but it was what was required. Now we have a similar battle facing us with StJ next week, who last season produced the quintessential 'winning ugly' performance at Pittodrie. I hate their style and approach with a passion, they're a terrible team to watch, but hopefully we'll be street smart with them this time, especially after 2 games on the trot against silky M'Well to practice.

Special mention to the ref. Always quick to slate them but I think he did well, considering you need eyes in the back of your head for teams like M'Well.
    Last edited by Red_Don; 24-09-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Brute of a game but hopefully now the back 3 is now confined to the bin. Still think christie and Mclean can't play in the same team. But hey its 3 points and that back line against the farmers would be a start.

I'd expect what we're going to get from this point on is more solid lineups and relying on our creative players to create a moment or two to win the game. That's more or less exactly what happened yesterday. It's not pretty, but if you keep it tight and don't give away anything then you just need one bit of quality like we got to win. We did something similar to this a few years ago - started the season trying to be overly attacking, were shipping goals all over the place (culminating in the 3-0 loss to Hamilton), then went a bit more defensive and suddenly started stringing 1-0 and 2-0 results together.

Some people (those with a "footballing brain") will say that yesterday was a bad performance and we were lucky. I'd actually argue we're far more likely to be successful over the next run of games playing like that than we would be using the attacking lineups/woeful defending model we've been using until now.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
    I was quite chuffed with the result after Thirsday's debacle but your post has set me straight and I'm off to slit my wrists.
    That's the bi polar nature of fans theses days, up & down like a yo-yo .

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast