+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldham Athletic Post Match Thoughts

This result is all credit to PW those substitutions were absolute awesome in terms of impact. I think Newell has to play Tuesday and showed that he's one of the best players we have got. Forde always seem to make an impact as well when he comes on wether it's an assist or a goal and always nice to see young Yates on the score sheet.

I think Williams was unlucky not to get man of the match i thought he was terrific all game and was a nightmare for the Oldham defence, if he stays fit all season then this will be of the best permanent signings we have made for a while.

I know it keeps getting brought up all the time but signing Moore permanent is a must and we seriously lack ambition if we don't.

It's hard to be critical after a 5-1 win but to be honest the display wasn't that good. Yet another sloppy goal conceded, we definitely need a defensive coach, midfield huffed and puffed particularly Frecks, and our crossing was at times woeful.

But......what a great game it was, full of "up and at 'em" with a philosophy of if we make enough chances we will score.

If I was an Oldham fan I would be a bit annoyed at the score line because throughout the game they weren't that bad. We couldn't match the physicality of their number 9 and in effect they could easily have gone in 2-1 up at half time.

Moore obviously isn't firing on all cylinders and after his second goal I was surprised he stayed on the pitch as long as he did. We looked better in the second half when we swapped wingers over but superior fitness and application told in the end.

If Oldham stick to it they won't be bottom club for long.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Rodak, don't want him get O'Donnell back.
    Vaulks, best right back at the club but get Cummings back.
    Ihiekwe, don't want him, I've seen in his eyes he's going to make mistakes.
    Wood, get Ajayi back, don't like him though.
    Purrington, not sure, get Mattock back.
    Taylor, can't play on the left and his little legs take 1.1/2 steps to everyone else's 1.
    Frecks, get him out so Vaulks can play there.
    Potter, don't want him. Barker's mate, too old, getting a last pay day.
    Williams, don't want him. Luxury player, can't play on the right. Get Bailey-King in.
    Towell, we're just getting him fit for Brighton. Send him back.
    Moore, don't want him. McCarthy shouldn't be picking our team. Jonno should have the shirt.
    Forde, don't want him. He's no better than when we signed him.
    I go on what I see and I'm right more than I'm wrong.

Sorry, couldn't resist it 😀

Thank goodness for your last 4 words...I thought you'd been cloned and there was two gwru's...I was picturing rod serling...

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Rodak, don't want him get O'Donnell back.
    Vaulks, best right back at the club but get Cummings back.
    Ihiekwe, don't want him, I've seen in his eyes he's going to make mistakes.
    Wood, get Ajayi back, don't like him though.
    Purrington, not sure, get Mattock back.
    Taylor, can't play on the left and his little legs take 1.1/2 steps to everyone else's 1.
    Frecks, get him out so Vaulks can play there.
    Potter, don't want him. Barker's mate, too old, getting a last pay day.
    Williams, don't want him. Luxury player, can't play on the right. Get Bailey-King in.
    Towell, we're just getting him fit for Brighton. Send him back.
    Moore, don't want him. McCarthy shouldn't be picking our team. Jonno should have the shirt.
    Forde, don't want him. He's no better than when we signed him.
    I go on what I see and I'm right more than I'm wrong.

Sorry, couldn't resist it ��
    Enjoyed, that, Mellow - thank you!

(Though I do also get great pleasure from whoever is pulling gwru's levers...)

Lol at moaners moaning about people putting negatives in a post match thread, glad Warney lives in the real world

8th in league, Moore still top scorer
    Last edited by millertop; 24-09-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Whilst Newell and Forde made a huge impact i still don't think they should start.
    Who would we drop? Williams - not on that performance. Taylor - he was being marked by 3 Oldham players at times in the first half and they still couldn't shackle him. Yes the crossing was poor but get one right and he's taken 3 players out of the game.

I thought Oldham's set up for our throw ins was really poor and they didn't learn all game. Just one player near the ball and we do a short throw in which goes straight back to our thrower and he's in acres of space and we're on the attack. This happened time after time and the hapless Sheridan didn't spot it

Just read the posts from people who think we ought to do better-last season we scored a total of 23 league goals,so far we have scored 20 and not really been tw@tted when we,ve lost .
    Think i,ll get me coit!.

Anyone who went yesterday do agree we should have been 3-1 down in the 1st half. 2nd half Warney must have been listening to me, he took Taylor off the Left wing. Always when you can play the best players for each position. That's why tues' at Blackburn O'Donnell, Cummings, Ajayi & Newell would be back for Rodak, Wood, Taylor & Towell. Purrington or Mattock, for me Mattock but if the manager feels game time will improve Purrington, yes. Vaulks back in midfield, Williams on the right, Newell on the left but Taylor on the Right, Williams on the left with Newell to come on wouldn't be a disaster. If not we are going to be like the Bradford game, unlikely to get anything.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Whilst Newell and Forde made a huge impact i still don't think they should start.
    Who would we drop? Williams - not on that performance. Taylor - he was being marked by 3 Oldham players at times in the first half and they still couldn't shackle him. Yes the crossing was poor but get one right and he's taken 3 players out of the game.

I thought Oldham's set up for our throw ins was really poor and they didn't learn all game. Just one player near the ball and we do a short throw in which goes straight back to our thrower and he's in acres of space and we're on the attack. This happened time after time and the hapless Sheridan didn't spot it

Newell for Frecks next match

My recollection of the first half (HT score 1-1) - it was true that Oldham had missed one absolute sitter, but we had missed four or five easy chances

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast