+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top of the league

I began this season with less optimism than for some years, so to be top of the league at this stage is astounding. That said, we haven't fluked our way there. Kevin Nolan has organised the way we play in the same manner that Big Sam did, and one of the big advantages is that he can change the personnel to keep things fresh, without weakening the team overall. He just plugs different players into the same system and they all look like they know their jobs, which breeds confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I began this season with less optimism than for some years, so to be top of the league at this stage is astounding. That said, we haven't fluked our way there. Kevin Nolan has organised the way we play in the same manner that Big Sam did, and one of the big advantages is that he can change the personnel to keep things fresh, without weakening the team overall. He just plugs different players into the same system and they all look like they know their jobs, which breeds confidence.
    The thing is, it's not just a very good start to this season, it's a continuation of what Nolan has been doing since he came in mid-way through last season. In that respect, this trumps Allardyce, we haven't seen anything like this since Warnock. It really is remarkable.

Gates are on another level. Today's gate brings this season's average above 7k, which I think is the average since Hardy took over. Munto is the only season with a 7k average since we got relegated from the 2nd tier. From where we were at the beginning of this year (3 825 watching the Saturday New Years Eve fixture v Carlisle fearing a fate worse than the Conference) this turnaround is absolutely staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yep to all of that. It is astounding, but some of us called it pre-season ahem! The fact we're getting goals from defenders and midfielders and forwards too - forget WOW signings, that's a sign of a good TEAM.

Love everyone's high spirits but please remember this is Notts County - anything can happen and probably will.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    In the Munto season we were top after games 1, 2 and 4 but didn't return to the summit again until mid-April.

Allardyce's side were top after games 2, 9 and then in the first week of November. After climbing back to the top in mid-December they stayed in 1st place for the rest of the season.

We have a better record than both of those seasons after 9 played.

I make this season our best start since 1970/71, that team won 7 and drew 2 of their first 9 but they did falter in the next 3 games, so a draw at Exteter would see us equal 1970/71 after 10 games, a win on Tuesday would see us overtake Sirrel's side and equal the Lawton/Sewell start of 1949/50.
    Thanks for that UTM it certainly makes for intresting reading. So its official this has been the best start to a season for 46 years! It's been the best start in my living memory and no doubt many other fans under 50 will not remember a better start.

Let's not forget we came close to beating Accrington as well and that ended a draw.

I will be happy if we can remain unbeaten against Exeter and Mansfield as those games will really show us where we are currently at.

We must not lose sight that for this calendar year since AH and KN came in we have consistently showed automatic promotion form and had some of our best attendances in recent years so it's not something that has happened overnight.

There is a long, long way to go but when you think where we are now to where we were 9 months ago the transformation has been remarkable and something that AH and KN and everyone connected with the club should be proud of. The club is off life support and is alive again.

You pies!! Fantastic!!

Unreal! Leaving the Ricoh Arena I could only see another season of struggle, but maybe I can claim a bit of credit for the recent spectacular run as I appear to jinx the team. I have missed the last 5 games due to holidays and we've won the bloody lot! It used to take 3 months to win 5 games. The bad news is that I will be present at the Six Fingers Stadium, so if we suffer our usual humiliation against the inbreds I will have to shoulder the bulk of the blame.

One of my favourite ever NCM Freds.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Love everyone's high spirits but please remember this is Notts County - anything can happen and probably will.
    We're doomed I tell ya.. friggin doomed!!! Give over Sidders. Bask in the knowledge that your second team are doing well for a change.
    That being said, if AH doesn't raid his piggy bank (is "piggy bank" allowed?) come January and splurge on a young(ish) thruster to pick up the baton when our old boys up front tire then he needs his arse kicking.

This thread is missing one important thing, so here it is.

Name:  Table.JPG
Views: 1127
Size:  34.0 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast