+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Top of the league

Top of the league

Had to start a thread for such amazing news.

Well done to everyone!!!! Fans, staff, players.

Let's stay there now!

Super notts
    Super Notts
    Super Notts
    Super notts

COYP

It has been without doubt a fantastic start to the season and probably the best start to a season in many, many years.

The 3-0 defeat against Coventry on the opening day really gave us something whether that was an eye opener a reality check or whatever, but since then we have gone on to play effective football that has got results. We can't ask for any more than that.

I don't recall us being top of the league after 9 games in the Munto season so the closest would be 20 years ago in the Allardyce 1997/98 season. Perhaps someone can dig the stats out as it could be far longer than that. Where's Colin Slater when you need him?

We now require 28 points from 37 games to all but secure our place in the football league next season with 50 points. This is all I'm bothered about at this point in time. If we can get to 40 points by AH's and KN's 1st Anniversary at the club then the second half of the season could be very interesting and exciting.

In the meantime it is great to see Notts name at the top of Leauge Two and to enjoy this for however long it lasts, whilst being cautiously optimistic and not getting to carried away at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It has been without doubt a fantastic start to the season and probably the best start to a season in many, many years.

The 3-0 defeat against Coventry on the opening day really gave us something whether that was an eye opener a reality check or whatever, but since then we have gone on to play effective football that has got results. We can't ask for any more than that.

I don't recall us being top of the league after 9 games in the Munto season so the closest would be 20 years ago in the Allardyce 1997/98 season. Perhaps someone can dig the stats out as it could be far longer than that. Where's Colin Slater when you need him?

We now require 28 points from 37 games to all but secure our place in the football league next season with 50 points. This is all I'm bothered about at this point in time. If we can get to 40 points by AH's and KN's 1st Anniversary at the club then the second half of the season could be very interesting and exciting.

In the meantime it is great to see Notts name at the top of Leauge Two and to enjoy this for however long it lasts, whilst being cautiously optimistic and not getting to carried away at this stage.
    On top of that the last 2 goals scored were as good as you could see anywhere. COYPssssssss

My lad was buzzing on the way back to the car when he heard the Exeter result " we are top of the league said we are top of the league "all the way home . Great , he didn't even moan about having to go to Mass tonight with his mum !

I have to say that this 3-game sequence (2 local derbies against improved teams plus 1 against the other front-runner) was going to be *****.

5 points was a must, 6 would have been excellent and 7 superb.......we're well on track towards these numbers, 9 anyone or am I getting carried away?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    In the Munto season we were top after games 1, 2 and 4 but didn't return to the summit again until mid-April.

Allardyce's side were top after games 2, 9 and then in the first week of November. After climbing back to the top in mid-December they stayed in 1st place for the rest of the season.

We have a better record than both of those seasons after 9 played.

I make this season our best start since 1970/71, that team won 7 and drew 2 of their first 9 but they did falter in the next 3 games, so a draw at Exteter would see us equal 1970/71 after 10 games, a win on Tuesday would see us overtake Sirrel's side and equal the Lawton/Sewell start of 1949/50.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    a win on Tuesday would see us overtake Sirrel's side and equal the Lawton/Sewell start of 1949/50.
    If I were Nolo, I'd have that stat on the dressing room wall.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    If I were Nolo, I'd have that stat on the dressing room wall.
    If we were to beat both Exeter and Mansfield then we'd be ahead of 1949 (because that team drew game 11), in which case we may then be looking at the best start since 1896!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If we were to beat both Exeter and Mansfield then we'd be ahead of 1949 (because that team drew game 11), in which case we may then be looking at the best start since 1896!
    Seasons 1896/97, 1949/50 and 1970/71, the three you quote, all have one thing in common - we ended the season as champions.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Seasons 1896/97, 1949/50 and 1970/71, the three you quote, all have one thing in common - we ended the season as champions.
    I haven't checked through all of the pre-war seasons so there could be one that's better than 1896, but we'd have to win the next two games first to make that exercise worthwhile. I'm pretty sure 1949/50 is the best post-war start to a season after 9 played though, with 1970/71 the 2nd best and this season 3rd best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast