+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Run, run, HOOF !

Run, run, HOOF !

Surely if we keep playing the hoof-ball that we do we're not going to stay in this division.

I know I said it after the West Brom match but the style that Dyche has got us playing will neither get us wins nor keep the crowds coming.
    Huddersfield were no great shakes today but they attempted to play football and should possibly have won what was a poor match. Time after time we just hoofed it up to Woods and unfortunately their centre-half had him in his pocket so we got absolutely nowhere.
    Nevertheless whenever Pope, Mee et al got it off we went again - hoof. Eventually Barnes came on so I thought we might change it. But no, just more hoof.

Yes we work hard, yes we close the opposition down most of the time, but surely we need to try some proper football at some time.

Hendrick was unable to do the job that was required of the position he was asked to play today.

By heck, that was dire! Just glad to come away from the game with a point.

To quote sinkov, "Whatever happened to Fortress Turf Moor?"

Quote Originally Posted by thedonz View Post
    Hendrick was unable to do the job that was required of the position he was asked to play today.
    Exactly right Donz,

The thing is it was obvious to us that he was off the pace , so why not Dyche

People criticising woods when every ball he got was with his back to goal at neck- head height . ( he basically played against a very strong centre back and probably the next German centre half IMO )

A so called wide man at one side who simply can't go past a man , lacks strength and pace --- the other side has the brain and delivery but refuses to give it a lash at goal when it opens up in front of him.

Im afraid we are stuck with the system- style as we simply don't have pace to trouble anyone or to change it around.

We look like a team that's designed to get more points away from home, where the opposition has to bring the game to us and we battle to defend and score with a set piece or from a mistake. We lack guile and pace I feel; Dyche likes strong hardworking players who are disciplined and that's great. The problem that creates is that we play in a one dimensional manner and can't handle it when we have to take the game to the opposition. Look at WBA game and Pulis did a Dyche in reverse!! We just don't have the squad to play neat passing possession football I fear. Get ready for having a very hard watch this season at home but I expect better stuff results wise away as that's what we are now equipped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlydave View Post
    We look like a team that's designed to get more points away from home, where the opposition has to bring the game to us and we battle to defend and score with a set piece or from a mistake. We lack guile and pace I feel; Dyche likes strong hardworking players who are disciplined and that's great. The problem that creates is that we play in a one dimensional manner and can't handle it when we have to take the game to the opposition. Look at WBA game and Pulis did a Dyche in reverse!! We just don't have the squad to play neat passing possession football I fear. Get ready for having a very hard watch this season at home but I expect better stuff results wise away as that's what we are now equipped for.
    All true I think Deadly, the thing that worries me is we aren't reactive the Hendrick option off a front man didn't work ( weather that's because he simply wasn't fit enough yet).

We persist with slow negative lethargic football, it's almost England style sideways for long periods we get to the edge of there box and end up back at our keeper again in a few seconds.
    I'm pretty sure it's Dyche shape and system so we spend so much time getting into a defensive shape we forget to be offensive.

Had this discussion regularly regarding shape and the personnel, so the full back s are decent defenders but just don't offer enough going forward , Charlie Taylor would bomb on and deliver great ball , he just probably wouldn't defend as well as Ward.
    I know you alluded to Arfield but he's slow and contributes to our lethargic approach--- the only man we had with real pace has gone and most on here were happy for him to go - I'm unsure it was our wisest move without investing in others with pace.
    ( Arfield tried yesterday and generally does to be fai ,I just feel he's a level above the standard he can play at)

I alluded to a draw or loss on another thread during the week.Our weaknesses are exposed when we have to go toe to toe with the teams around us in the league.After watching all the games so far this season I am pessimistic to say the least.If we dont buy some players with pace,guile and creativity in January,then it is going to be a long season of dross football interspersed with heroic defensive performances against the top teams.
    After having spent tens of millions on incoming players only Defour seems to be an improvement on the outgoing players.Brady is hit and miss,Hendrick is not PL quality,Wood is Championship level,Charlie Taylor looks good down the flank but he wont get a look in before Ward.

Right now the attack isn't working, yet we have five strikers but they chop and change so much they seem unsettled and the midfield has to adjust to different playing styles. I'm not sure bringing in more attackers will help, they may add to the confusion. Sam did well against Chelsea and now is on the bench whilst Wood gets in but has to show how he likes to work. With Everton winning yesterday I wonder if they have turned the corner, but we will need to get goals to win there if Niasse holds his form.

Marney may be back soon - he usually helps us win.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Right now the attack isn't working, yet we have five strikers but they chop and change so much they seem unsettled and the midfield has to adjust to different playing styles. I'm not sure bringing in more attackers will help, they may add to the confusion. Sam did well against Chelsea and now is on the bench whilst Wood gets in but has to show how he likes to work. With Everton winning yesterday I wonder if they have turned the corner, but we will need to get goals to win there if Niasse holds his form.

Marney may be back soon - he usually helps us win.
    We're in a quandary OC as we have bought a front man for 15million plus who scored on his debut and his home debut
    And is now being asked to do Vokes job bring other players in to the game as well as score goals.
    He's simply not made for that --- they had two very good centre back Saturday who were never troubled.

Dyche says he's been an admirer of woods for some time after watching him? Why give him a different job to do then ?
    He's a goal scorer who needs imo ball delivered from wide areas with him running onto it not hoofed up with his back to goal.
    Dyche is struggling with can't leave him out he's scored --- really needed Vokes Saturday to occupy a centre back , Hendricks was in effective .
    Imo we need width and good deliveries and both Vokes and woods will score goals-- if we can get Brady on one side
    And perhaps Wells on the other or the ice man if he can get his game together. ( the full backs won't / can't do it in the Dyche system).
    Next up Everton -- if Dyche has watched there defending we should be really going for it this next game -- might as well play two up front I think. ( he won't )

Not at all sure what Vokes has done wrong to find himself on the bench?

If Vokes had been up top on Saturday Schindler would not have had such an easy afternoon.

Play Vokes high up top with Wood given a free role and watch the goals come!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)