+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr undroppable, Mr unsubbable

Have you actually considered that he might not actually want to go to sevco?

Quote Originally Posted by GASC1980 View Post
    Have you actually considered that he might not actually want to go to sevco?
    Yes I have which is why I also said when the transfer window was open.

Don't share the antipathy being expressed against McLean. Lets get behind the boys. I would love it if we busted Brendan's unbeaten record. I think McLean on the whole has been a decent player. Not sure that him and Christie are a good mix. We always seem to play him deeper than what would be his preferred position. He is quick, a good passer, plays the game at a decent tempo and is good in the air. He has had some honkers by his standards but if he played for us consistently close to his best he would have been bought for a big fee by someone else some time ago.

McLean

OK - tin hat on .......,,

Now, I may not see him very often, being stuck down in Englandshire and working most Saturdays, so my observations are based on about 7/8 games a season and highlights, but - and maybe I should whisper it - I am a big fan of McLean!
    He is two-footed, can pick a pass, scores a few goals, can play holding "quarterback" midfielder role, as well as further forward, and is prepared to put his foot in! He seems to be seen by his team-mates as one of the leaders on the pitch, and Deek obviously likes him as he always seems to be first name on the team sheet. He never hides in games and is always happy to be given the ball even in tight situations, because his technique is good.
    I would go as far to say, were he to be in the Dhims team he would be heralded as much as Armstrong and McGregor. I think we are lucky to have him, and he has been a bargain signing. Had we not had WGS as Scotland manager, I'm sure he'd have been in the squad regularly at least.
    The timing of this ain't good, however, but it seems to be Deek who has told the press, rather than KM. Whilst I would be gutted if he did end up with the orcs, I'm not sure he'd have any more success than Jack is currently enjoying given their set-up.
    I will be sad to see him go, as I feel he does a great job for us, and at 25, still has a lot to offer. On the playing front, I'd rather not let him go
    In January, but we could possibly do with the cash! Although, if we are still there or thereabouts with the Dhims, we definitely shouldn't sell him.
    I'm sure my views won't be given much credence by many posters on here, but they are honestly held. He seems to be the favourite scapegoat these days - after Consi, who I agree is limited as a left back - but I'm sure there will be a new scapegoat once he goes ....

Well, if he's replaced by another nancy boy pratting around in midfield then I'm sure he'll get the same criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by kigoretrout View Post
    Don't share the antipathy being expressed against McLean. Lets get behind the boys. I would love it if we busted Brendan's unbeaten record. I think McLean on the whole has been a decent player. Not sure that him and Christie are a good mix. We always seem to play him deeper than what would be his preferred position. He is quick, a good passer, plays the game at a decent tempo and is good in the air. He has had some honkers by his standards but if he played for us consistently close to his best he would have been bought for a big fee by someone else some time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulldon View Post
    OK - tin hat on .......,,

Now, I may not see him very often, being stuck down in Englandshire and working most Saturdays, so my observations are based on about 7/8 games a season and highlights, but - and maybe I should whisper it - I am a big fan of McLean!
    He is two-footed, can pick a pass, scores a few goals, can play holding "quarterback" midfielder role, as well as further forward, and is prepared to put his foot in! He seems to be seen by his team-mates as one of the leaders on the pitch, and Deek obviously likes him as he always seems to be first name on the team sheet. He never hides in games and is always happy to be given the ball even in tight situations, because his technique is good.
    I would go as far to say, were he to be in the Dhims team he would be heralded as much as Armstrong and McGregor. I think we are lucky to have him, and he has been a bargain signing. Had we not had WGS as Scotland manager, I'm sure he'd have been in the squad regularly at least.
    The timing of this ain't good, however, but it seems to be Deek who has told the press, rather than KM. Whilst I would be gutted if he did end up with the orcs, I'm not sure he'd have any more success than Jack is currently enjoying given their set-up.
    I will be sad to see him go, as I feel he does a great job for us, and at 25, still has a lot to offer. On the playing front, I'd rather not let him go
    In January, but we could possibly do with the cash! Although, if we are still there or thereabouts with the Dhims, we definitely shouldn't sell him.
    I'm sure my views won't be given much credence by many posters on here, but they are honestly held. He seems to be the favourite scapegoat these days - after Consi, who I agree is limited as a left back - but I'm sure there will be a new scapegoat once he goes ....
    No tin hat on guys. He is one of our most creative players.
    I think that when he is below his best, it's because the effort and workrate around him was not there.
    If the team are ticking, he can pick a pass and open up the play.

I think we will struggle to get a replacement.
    For those that doubt it, who do you propose we get to replace McLean, especially given his versatility?

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Well, if he's replaced by another nancy boy pratting around in midfield then I'm sure he'll get the same criticism.
    Come on then Donsdaft, who do you propose we can get that will be more effective?

More effective than McLean?

We will have at least half a dozen players on the books already.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    More effective than McLean?

We will have at least half a dozen players on the books already.
    Should be easy for you then.
    Who are the half dozen players on the books ready to replace McLean.

I'll presume your thinking of Tansey for one. - Different type of player in my opinion
    Frank Ross is a great potential, but still that, potential at the moment.

So who else will fill his role and not shoehorned into position?

Also, if they are already on the books and more effective than McLean, why are they not playing?

Gary McDonald

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast