+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gazza. (is he or isn't he)

Question Gazza. (is he or isn't he)

Adding onto the club legend topic, I'd like to know if people think Gazza is a Newcastle United footballing legend and/or what actually makes a legend in the eyes of each person?

Is Gazza a Newcastle United legend or simply a genius footballer who had a short stint playing for his hometown club for a short while as a first team player?
    The jury is out on this one.

I think I'd prefer to call Gazza a Newcastle United product of talent rather than legend.
    If I had to push the boat out I'd have to say that Paul Gascoigne was a footballing legend and not a specific club legend.

What do people think about this. It'll be interesting to get some feed back on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    If I had to push the boat out I'd have to say that Paul Gascoigne was a footballing legend and not a specific club legend.
    Yeah, agree with this. Don't think there's any club that actually considers him a legend within their own realm (maybe Spurs?), but in addition to being a footballing legend, he was also an England national team legend, which is where he won over a lot of British hearts. A very big talent with a lot of potential, and you get the feeling that pints came in the way of him fulfilling it completely. Still a great player though.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Think you're right with this personally.

He endeared himself as a legend playing for England.

Definitely not a club legend for me.

Footballing legend but not NUFC.

Yeah, all your answers are what I personally feel.
    Obviously I would never knock Gazza down because to be totally honest, he was one of the bright sparks of football in his time, both on and off the pitch and for good and bad reasons.

A heart on the sleeve kind of lad with the mindset to please and the footballing ability to carry it off.
    I would love to place him among the legends of Newcastle United, but I would most probably set him aside into having his own personal accolade for the club, as in the modern day clown prince and a darling of the fans.

I don't think his off the field antics should be taken into consideration. Few would doubt that George Best is a Man U legend!
    However, I don't think of Gazza as a Newcastle legend. When I think of that only one name comes to me: SBR.

Club legends

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I don't think his off the field antics should be taken into consideration. Few would doubt that George Best is a Man U legend!
    However, I don't think of Gazza as a Newcastle legend. When I think of that only one name comes to me: SBR.
    SBR, Milburn, Mighty Wynne, Supermac, Beardsley, Shearer to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by BillRidley View Post
    SBR, Milburn, Mighty Wynne, Supermac, Beardsley, Shearer to name a few.
    All of those...... but if you had to pick one?

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    All of those...... but if you had to pick one?
    As I said on Zip's thread about LEGENDS we have so many to choose from that it's more than difficult to put any one above the rest of at least a dozen more.

If he had stayed maybe he would be classed as a Newcastle Legend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)