+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Fearing Promotion?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    What a crazy statement.

why the hell would folk part with their hard earned cash just to watch us wallow in the lower leagues?

Is football not all about winning?
    Spot on Brin,what is the point of entering any competition, if you are not bothered about winning and that would not attract the player who has that desire for success.That player is what every manager should look for and I think Warney is doing just that.

I am in a strange sort of way,but on the other hand i would love us to be back in the Championship,but with a lot stronger squad than we had last time,i couldn't stomach another season like last season,nearly sent me round the bend.

Looking at Bolton so far and Wigan last season, there does seem to be a widening gap between Championship and Div 1. I think we would be bottom 8 in Championship with current squad, but not completely off the pace like last season. Roly is right about our defence been more found out though.

I may have my optimist's specs on but I sense that we would be better prepared for it even if we went up after just one or two seasons in League One. Last time round we made mistakes in blowing our budget on too many not-quite-good enough players under Steve Evans and the Chairman was in nosebleed territory in terms of what you do at this level. His manager picks were generally panic-induced and, even when we seemed to have a plan, we kept changing it.

I think we're that bit more battle-hardened and we would know what to expect. Warne has learned well and keeps on learning and those nightmare final weeks, as we died a thousand deaths in the Championship, will have stood him in good stead. We would no doubt struggle and may well be back down fairly quickly but I don't think we would flap around rather ineffectively the way we did last time.

Would I pleased if we went up sooner rather than later - you bet! Would I be disappointed if it took a few years - not at all. Both are good...

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    What a crazy statement.

why the hell would folk part with their hard earned cash just to watch us wallow in the lower leagues?

Is football not all about winning?
    Agree with you on the above Brin but its also about accepting you've reached a level where you are punching well above your weight as we found out last year. The money that's sloshing around in football now has pushed teams like us well down the pecking order, however if we can get up there to mix it with the big boys every now and again I'll be more than happy

Championship for me every time.
    Lots of great memories from the seasons under SW and then NW.
    Wouldn't have missed that for anything

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Championship for me every time.
    Lots of great memories from the seasons under SW and then NW.
    Wouldn't have missed that for anything

I'll bet your one of those guys that don't mind going to the dentist.

Championship every time. L1 is a pub league for me and I can't say I'm enjoying any of it that much. All seems pointless coz even if we were to go up we are a million miles away from being able to finance a sustainable presence. So we are stuck in L1 and I reckon we'll be there for a while yet. We win more than last year and it is all supposed to make us feel better. Logic says if we go into the Vanarama we'll win even more. Will that make some happier still?
    Compared to the fight of the Warnock season, this season sucks surely?

Not fearing promotion one little bit. If the opportunity arises grab it & work from there the following season.
    It's not all about the winning for me I like to be entertained as well. Enjoyed visiting grounds like St James, I-Pro, Villa Park etc.
    Championship is the place to be but ( there's always a but cayton ) if it's League 1 for a while so be it.

theres nothing wrong with a good butt frank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast