+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Fearing Promotion?

I wouldn't say I fear promotion because although there are holes in our team there are plenty of teams who are playing worse than we did last season in championship. I understand why some may fear promotion, our defence is iffy some of the mistakes we have made have been daft, however I think we are in a much better position in quality of players and as a team than when we got promoted.

Only issue is that defence

Quote Originally Posted by Silly-miller View Post
    I wouldn't say I fear promotion because although there are holes in our team there are plenty of teams who are playing worse than we did last season in championship. I understand why some may fear promotion, our defence is iffy some of the mistakes we have made have been daft, however I think we are in a much better position in quality of players and as a team than when we got promoted.

Only issue is that defence
    And retaining the services of Keifer Moore!

I fear it, but at the same time I really want it. There were many times over the last 3 years when I wondered to myself whilst watching us being outclassed and beat, would I rather be watching us struggle in the championship or do well in league 1? It's definitely more fun when we're hammering teams at this level, but I think I'd still swap it for championship survival battles.

I'm with casper and brin and other like-minded posters on this one. People seem to fail to grasp the process and consequences of promotion and non-promotion. The former involves exhilaration, excitement and enthusiasm, the latter must necessarily involve losing games, disappointment and a gradual dwindling of support. We don't have a choice; we have to strive to get back up. I also disagree that seasons like last are our inevtiable fate in the Championship and believe we have the resources to do better.

Not fearing promotion.
    Defence is suspect.
    Attack is threadbare -we need to vary the 4-5-1 otherwise we'll get sussed more often like Charlton did
    Passing is wayward at times.
    Need to find a way of beating teams at the top which we haven't been able to do yet.

This isn't a whinge just recognising we're still work in progress. Very entertaining season so far though

I wonder if the key people at the club have really learned any lessons from our 3 seasons of struggle in the Championship?
    Unfortunately I won't be able to get to the Fans' Forum but if I was there, I would have asked what measures have been put in place to ensure we can make a better fist of it if we were fortunate enough to get promoted again.
    I hope someone asks a similar question.

Our "current" defence would take a pounding in the Championship

agree gmgm
    semi looked a better championship defender than league 1. think the bustling foruds unsettle him.. Emmanuel is prob same.
    wood, mattock, ihiekwe, vaulkes like it rough so league 1 suits them purrington hmmm not sure yet. he still looks like a fish out of water. i would give him 3/4 games on the trot to see if he has the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Hazza Has A Gazza View Post
    I fear it, but at the same time I really want it. There were many times over the last 3 years when I wondered to myself whilst watching us being outclassed and beat, would I rather be watching us struggle in the championship or do well in league 1? It's definitely more fun when we're hammering teams at this level, but I think I'd still swap it for championship survival battles.
    That's about the size of it for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123