+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell fail to do the Dons double

Motherwell fail to do the Dons double

Aberdeen scrambled the only goal of a dour game at Fir Park to beat Motherwell 1-0 at a rain soaked Fir Park. It was a disappointing afternoon with little football on show. - External Link

Quote Originally Posted by Footymad View Post
    Aberdeen scrambled the only goal of a dour game at Fir Park to beat Motherwell 1-0 at a rain soaked Fir Park. It was a disappointing afternoon with little football on show. - External Link
    there wasnt much to enthuse about but I think we were worth a draw... Aberdeen would have humped us this time last year.

Poor game in which I thought we deserved a draw,game certainly not helped by a referee who seemed to think that only one team committed fouls. Believe Tait was booked at halftime in the tunnel after an altercation with Christie can fully understand why? Will wait to see our penalty claim on TV before I decide to change my opinion thought it was a penalty all day long.

Deffo looked like a penalty to me at the time. Yes we were worth a draw all day long.

It was always going to be a tall order to reproduce Thursday nights heroics given we absolutely ran ourselves into the ground all night long whilst making the 2nd best team in Scotland look like a bottom six side. They were never going to be as poor either.

I thought the better team win today as they did a real number on us in terms of the way they nullified Moult and our wide threat. That boy McKenna made a huge difference to their defence from the other night and we never really got a sniff in the final third. We were of course slightly more leg weary given the level of our effort on Thursday and it was no surprise that it was them who ended up nicking a poor game.

We can never be happy with a defeat and there are lessons to be learned from today, most notably that Alex Fisher just won't do at this level, he was completely ineffective when he came on but overall we need to be a bit shrewder when playing against sides with the quality that Aberdeen have.

Still, it's been a good week overall despite today's disappointed. Before Thursday I was fully expecting to be out of the Cup and if we were going to win either game it would have been today but I wouldn't swap it knowing that it turned out the opposite way.....but Aberdeen would and they know it.

We can't blame our strikers too much. The service to them was awful. We needed more aggression and energy in the middle and more pace out wide. For that reason, Grimshaw and Frear should have started.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    We can't blame our strikers too much. The service to them was awful. We needed more aggression and energy in the middle and more pace out wide. For that reason, Grimshaw and Frear should have started.
    I don't think 'we wuz robbed', but with a different balance of refereeing decisions we would have got something. Driving home to Dumfriesshire, I switched on 'Sportsound' as I crossed the Clyde bridge on to the M74. I had reached the Blackwood turnoff before the pundits stopped talking about Aberdeen! It was anything but balanced; they were full of praise for the way Aberdeen shut down Louis and Ryan, though they didn't get round to pointing out that it involved two challenging defenders, one to head the ball, the other to stop Moult from heading the ball. The ref didn't seem to mind; perhaps they were only pushing with one hand? We were talking after the game, and someone opined that the manager's substitutions didn't work. True; we lost. But the introduction of Frear to get round the side of the parked bus was within a wee bit more composure of getting us something.
    Disappointed, but not downhearted.

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh View Post
    I don't think 'we wuz robbed', but with a different balance of refereeing decisions we would have got something. Driving home to Dumfriesshire, I switched on 'Sportsound' as I crossed the Clyde bridge on to the M74. I had reached the Blackwood turnoff before the pundits stopped talking about Aberdeen! It was anything but balanced; they were full of praise for the way Aberdeen shut down Louis and Ryan, though they didn't get round to pointing out that it involved two challenging defenders, one to head the ball, the other to stop Moult from heading the ball.
    Maybe time to stop listening to these radio programmes.

Peaks by definition don't come every week...if you'd offered me these results on Wednesday I'd have been thrilled.

Re: Radio Scotland sportsound, it has always been, for as long as I can remember, an unofficial Aberdeen FC radio forum and little to no attempt is ever made at hiding this. That's why nights like last Thursday and nicking 2nd place with the last kick of the ball are all the more satisfying and special because their 'neutral' pundits are absolutely pig sick and it's brilliant listening. Richard Gordon and Willie Miller were devastated after the Cup game as they conducted their post mortem into their heroes failure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)