shopify analytics
+ Visit Newcastle United FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joselu

Joselu

Two questions. After last week why did he start today? Even more fundamental, why did we buy him? It seems that because we couldn't sign our first, second and maybe third choice of striker we decided to buy just anyone for the sake of it. Stoke must have laughed all the way to the bank. If you can't get someone who's better or at least as good as what you've got already, why waste money? I know some people say his hold up play is good but you don't buy a striker for that reason. A striker is supposed to score goals. Not with every chance he gets but at least with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    why did we buy him? It seems that because we couldn't sign our first, second and maybe third choice of striker we decided to buy just anyone for the sake of it. .
    Think you've answered your own question there, mate.

To be fair to him, he works his socks off and gets in good positions...it's just that his finishing is-currently-woeful. I really want him to succeed but Premier league teams don't let good goalscorers go for 5 million...and that's even more telling in this Summer of ridiculous fees for average players.

He is what he is and unfortunately he's part of a strike force which consists of a striker with confidence issues who is unproven at Premier level and one who the manager doesn't apparently fancy or rate. We've just got to get behind him and hope he improves.

I hope he does improve. because i love the rest of his play/contribution to the team. add goals and you have a superstar

He's not gonna help us score goals if he's benched after three games, that's for sure. He needs one goal and then - like with most strikers - he'll have the confidence to chip in with even more on a regular basis. Hopefully.

However, if he doesn't improve, I hope Mitro will get the chance. He's got a lot to prove and is at PL-level the best striker we've got. I know some will disagree with me on this, but I think it's the truth.

Should have left him on, when Gayle came on and took the utter useless tw@t!! that is Perez OFF.

For his chance his back was to goal, I thought he turned well given that he probably didnt think it would get to him. Technically he didnt get sight of goal until he got his shot away. Very unlucky with his effort and it shows that it can be a game of margins as 6 inches closer to the goal it would have hit the post and been a tap in for Ritchie and 7/8 inches it would have gone in. I think id be worrying more if he wasnt in the right position to get the chances. Dont worry he'll get 2 against the scouse gits next week.

Last week i think was more the occasion. This week. . .

However as other have said, our other 2 strikers have their own issues and Joselu has really good attributes for the way we play. . . apart from finding the net. However (again) he is a 1 in 4 so he should be a due a goal or two so maybe against Liverpool he'll get a hatrick

Why he was taken off and Perez left on is beyond me

I think Shelvey and Gayle should have come on for the second half replacing Hayden and Joselu, as they later did. As for Joselu, he seems to have a big fan club but I can't understand why. Effort isn't enough. How many more decent chances must he squander before people realise that he hasn't succeeded at various clubs for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    Effort isn't enough. How many more decent chances must he squander before people realise that he hasn't succeeded at various clubs for a reason.
    No, you're right, effort alone isn't enough....but, we've had some fucking chancers at our club recently and people appreciate the work he puts in.

As for your second point, I don't think any of us are under any illusions about him. He's 27 years old and based on his piss-poor goals to games ratio then he's not likely to pick up and suddenly start banging them in just because he's playing for Rafa. However, he does lots of other things right and just maybe, if one goes in, he'll start shooting with a bit more confidence...and thought and hopefully pick a few up.

This one, I'm afraid is down to fat Mike not opening the cheque book when Rafa wanted a striker. We don't know for sure how far down the list Joselu was...or even if he was on the list at all but at the minute, we're getting exactly what we paid for. Remember, we paid 5 million for Hanley a year ago and nobody expected much of him-decent cover in the Chimpo and that was before the madness of this Summer's prices.

I'll be hugely surprised if he breaks into double figures but I do like his attitude and maybe if we keep creating chances...you never know.

I personally doubt he was on the list that was asked for.

I think he was a player the Rafa remember from times in Spain and when it was clear we wouldn't get who he wanted went and looked at him.

We paid 5 million and we got a 5 million striker, as Rafa said if they can hit a ball their worth 10 million. . . So Joselu for 5 million. Says its own story to a large degree.

We are very - way too - reliant on say Merino, Ritchie and perhaps Atsu or Shelvey to really chip in with goals. Otherwise I don't see us winning many games, unless Perez starts finding out what kind of player he is supposed to be and our strikers out of nowhere start scoring sh!tloads. In this side it's quite hard to see where the goals are gonna come from every game.

He wont ever take Perez off he is his darling, Joselu and Gayle would have been interesting today but of course that means going 4-4-2 and thats a big no no

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    He wont ever take Perez off he is his darling, Joselu and Gayle would have been interesting today but of course that means going 4-4-2 and thats a big no no
    As things stand, I rate our strikers as:
    1. Mitro
    2. Joselu
    3. Gayle

And I hope the team selection next week reflects this.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    As things stand, I rate our strikers as:
    1. Mitro
    2. Joselu
    3. Gayle

And I hope the team selection next week reflects this.
    Same rating for me, though I still think Joselu should have another game or two from kick-off.

5 minutes Joselu's been here. Let's see if his good play can reap rewards.
    I don't think he's been carrying that little bit of lady luck that a striker requires.
    Imagine what would have been said if he'd hit a hat trick against Stoke and scored on the turn against Brighton.
    That's how much of a fine line it is of being called one choice name or another.

We've seen strikers who don't look the part. Joselu isn't one of them.

For me:

1. Gayle, when he gets his head sorted.
    2. Mitro, when he gets his head sorted. But I think he'll be Rafa's pariah.
    3. Joselu, when he gets his head sorted.

Joselu was a bit off. But he'll get goals. He pops up in the right places. The person that needs the bench is Perez. He was f**king awful!!!

Aye.

IF we had a number 10 that could score with the way that Joselu plays they'd have already got a few goals.

Ghostrider suggested that Joselu might have got 4 goals in his last two games. Perhaps after the Liverpool game he might have got, what, say 6 or 7. He could turn out to be the top premiership might-have-been goal-scorer at the end of the season which would do wonders for NUFC's might-have-been league position and might-have-been goal difference. He could become a legend...' did you see the goal he nearly scored against Liverpool...yeah, even better than the goal he nearly scored against Stoke.' But seriously I agree that he works his socks off and does some good things on the pitch but a striker who doesn't score is as useful as a TV with no picture or a car that doesn't move. I agree that Gayle should be regarded as our top striker because he has scored real goals. Of course, Joselu might start scoring ..the trouble is these defenders and goalkeepers keep getting in the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast