+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Joselu

Joselu

Two questions. After last week why did he start today? Even more fundamental, why did we buy him? It seems that because we couldn't sign our first, second and maybe third choice of striker we decided to buy just anyone for the sake of it. Stoke must have laughed all the way to the bank. If you can't get someone who's better or at least as good as what you've got already, why waste money? I know some people say his hold up play is good but you don't buy a striker for that reason. A striker is supposed to score goals. Not with every chance he gets but at least with some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    why did we buy him? It seems that because we couldn't sign our first, second and maybe third choice of striker we decided to buy just anyone for the sake of it. .
    Think you've answered your own question there, mate.

To be fair to him, he works his socks off and gets in good positions...it's just that his finishing is-currently-woeful. I really want him to succeed but Premier league teams don't let good goalscorers go for £5 million...and that's even more telling in this Summer of ridiculous fees for average players.

He is what he is and unfortunately he's part of a strike force which consists of a striker with confidence issues who is unproven at Premier level and one who the manager doesn't apparently fancy or rate. We've just got to get behind him and hope he improves.

I hope he does improve. because i love the rest of his play/contribution to the team. add goals and you have a superstar

He's not gonna help us score goals if he's benched after three games, that's for sure. He needs one goal and then - like with most strikers - he'll have the confidence to chip in with even more on a regular basis. Hopefully.

However, if he doesn't improve, I hope Mitro will get the chance. He's got a lot to prove and is at PL-level the best striker we've got. I know some will disagree with me on this, but I think it's the truth.

Should have left him on, when Gayle came on and took the utter useless tw@t!! that is Perez OFF.

For his chance his back was to goal, I thought he turned well given that he probably didnt think it would get to him. Technically he didnt get sight of goal until he got his shot away. Very unlucky with his effort and it shows that it can be a game of margins as 6 inches closer to the goal it would have hit the post and been a tap in for Ritchie and 7/8 inches it would have gone in. I think id be worrying more if he wasnt in the right position to get the chances. Dont worry he'll get 2 against the scouse gits next week.

Last week i think was more the occasion. This week. . .

However as other have said, our other 2 strikers have their own issues and Joselu has really good attributes for the way we play. . . apart from finding the net. However (again) he is a 1 in 4 so he should be a due a goal or two so maybe against Liverpool he'll get a hatrick

Why he was taken off and Perez left on is beyond me

I think Shelvey and Gayle should have come on for the second half replacing Hayden and Joselu, as they later did. As for Joselu, he seems to have a big fan club but I can't understand why. Effort isn't enough. How many more decent chances must he squander before people realise that he hasn't succeeded at various clubs for a reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)