+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joselu

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    Effort isn't enough. How many more decent chances must he squander before people realise that he hasn't succeeded at various clubs for a reason.
    No, you're right, effort alone isn't enough....but, we've had some fucking chancers at our club recently and people appreciate the work he puts in.

As for your second point, I don't think any of us are under any illusions about him. He's 27 years old and based on his piss-poor goals to games ratio then he's not likely to pick up and suddenly start banging them in just because he's playing for Rafa. However, he does lots of other things right and just maybe, if one goes in, he'll start shooting with a bit more confidence...and thought and hopefully pick a few up.

This one, I'm afraid is down to fat Mike not opening the cheque book when Rafa wanted a striker. We don't know for sure how far down the list Joselu was...or even if he was on the list at all but at the minute, we're getting exactly what we paid for. Remember, we paid £5 million for Hanley a year ago and nobody expected much of him-decent cover in the Chimpo and that was before the madness of this Summer's prices.

I'll be hugely surprised if he breaks into double figures but I do like his attitude and maybe if we keep creating chances...you never know.

I personally doubt he was on the list that was asked for.

I think he was a player the Rafa remember from times in Spain and when it was clear we wouldn't get who he wanted went and looked at him.

We paid £5 million and we got a £5 million striker, as Rafa said if they can hit a ball their worth £10 million. . . So Joselu for £5 million. Says its own story to a large degree.

We are very - way too - reliant on say Merino, Ritchie and perhaps Atsu or Shelvey to really chip in with goals. Otherwise I don't see us winning many games, unless Perez starts finding out what kind of player he is supposed to be and our strikers out of nowhere start scoring sh!tloads. In this side it's quite hard to see where the goals are gonna come from every game.

He wont ever take Perez off he is his darling, Joselu and Gayle would have been interesting today but of course that means going 4-4-2 and thats a big no no

Quote Originally Posted by MidsMagpie View Post
    He wont ever take Perez off he is his darling, Joselu and Gayle would have been interesting today but of course that means going 4-4-2 and thats a big no no
    As things stand, I rate our strikers as:
    1. Mitro
    2. Joselu
    3. Gayle

And I hope the team selection next week reflects this.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    As things stand, I rate our strikers as:
    1. Mitro
    2. Joselu
    3. Gayle

And I hope the team selection next week reflects this.
    Same rating for me, though I still think Joselu should have another game or two from kick-off.

5 minutes Joselu's been here. Let's see if his good play can reap rewards.
    I don't think he's been carrying that little bit of lady luck that a striker requires.
    Imagine what would have been said if he'd hit a hat trick against Stoke and scored on the turn against Brighton.
    That's how much of a fine line it is of being called one choice name or another.

We've seen strikers who don't look the part. Joselu isn't one of them.

For me:

1. Gayle, when he gets his head sorted.
    2. Mitro, when he gets his head sorted. But I think he'll be Rafa's pariah.
    3. Joselu, when he gets his head sorted.

Joselu was a bit off. But he'll get goals. He pops up in the right places. The person that needs the bench is Perez. He was f**king awful!!!

Aye.

IF we had a number 10 that could score with the way that Joselu plays they'd have already got a few goals.

Ghostrider suggested that Joselu might have got 4 goals in his last two games. Perhaps after the Liverpool game he might have got, what, say 6 or 7. He could turn out to be the top premiership might-have-been goal-scorer at the end of the season which would do wonders for NUFC's might-have-been league position and might-have-been goal difference. He could become a legend...' did you see the goal he nearly scored against Liverpool...yeah, even better than the goal he nearly scored against Stoke.' But seriously I agree that he works his socks off and does some good things on the pitch but a striker who doesn't score is as useful as a TV with no picture or a car that doesn't move. I agree that Gayle should be regarded as our top striker because he has scored real goals. Of course, Joselu might start scoring ..the trouble is these defenders and goalkeepers keep getting in the way.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)