+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wycombe

Wycombe

Played quite well tonight but I've seen it all before.
    No matter who the personnel, if they are wearing red. they have a soft under-belly.
    And why do we concede so many shots from distance, as good a couple of finishes as they were?
    Very disappointing!

As soon as they equalised, with 2 to go plus added time, you just knew!

Their 27 was a cut above too.
    Too good for L2.

Thanks Somerset, as you say "you just knew". Different day same shinola, you'd-a-thunk someone could have figured it out by now! At least you reporting that (they) "played quite well", makes me feel a bit better and more optimistic. Ah-well, on-wards and upwards at least we're still above Vile. C.O.Y.R!

Accordibg to the commentary on RS we were better, but still another loss. Bowery was an improvement. Also Walker in midfield. Getting a bit worrying now. Still believe that DA and KL are getting the team selection wrong.

If we are going to get out of this current bad run I believe we have to pick a team that is capable of dominating the opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Accordibg to the commentary on RS we were better, but still another loss. Bowery was an improvement. Also Walker in midfield. Getting a bit worrying now. Still believe that DA and KL are getting the team selection wrong.

If we are going to get out of this current bad run I believe we have to pick a team that is capable of dominating the opponents.
    And what should that team be?

Well first of all the sad injuryn to Wintle has lessened our options. We have to have a midfield that is strong enough to give more protection for our defence. We do not have that, which has been obvious for six or seven games. The current midfield does not work.

Unfortunately we have a shortage of midfielders who could at this moment make a significant difference therefore I feel we have no alternative but to expirement. It is essential that Walker is in the midfield. Dreadful error by the management that he has not been there for ages. The other two would be NG and take an acknowledged risk on Grant. I would also keep Bowery in the side. Cooper who admitted is extremely talented disappears out of the game far too often.

So what would your changes be Timmy? Or are you quite happy with the team selection?

I was under the impression that the reason why Walker was not being used in mid-field, was because of the injury to Ray, he was needed at CH. However, on signing the lad from Wigan, nearly a month ago now, then surely Walker could have moved into his more preferred role? Only once has the loan been deployed and that was when came on fro the subs bench. Why sign him on loan and not play him? I know that Grant was a bystander (like the rest of them against Carlisle), but he comes with experience at this level, with promoted Doncaster (last season), scoring goals and being highly acknowledged as a playmaker in that successful team. Now that he is over his traumatic experience of a few weeks back, surely Artell has to persevere with him in midfield? He needs games to recapture lost form, I would think.

PS. I have now discovered that Grant only scored 1 goal for Donny last season, having played 21 times. I am sure that it mentioned when he arrived, that he had scored quite a few.
    Last edited by alexmick; 27-09-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Ok, ruocul. Here we go.
    My 11 would be Garrett GK
    Ng (R Bakayogo (L Stubbs and Raynes (CH)
    Ainley (RW) Walker and Bowery (CM) Cooper/Kirk (LW)
    Porter/Bowery & Dagnall (F)
    Not so much different from the current set up except my preferred option is 442. We seem to have played anything but!
    Nolan unlucky to miss out but Zooms gives us a bit more thrust down the left and occasionally puts a damn good cross in. Nolan is yet to do that.

I suspect Timmy means Lowery in CM rather than Bowery but leaving that aside!

If Wintle is (sadly) injured I give you:

Garratt

Perry Stubbs Nolan Bakayogo
    Ainley Walker Grant Dale
    Porter Dagnall

Raynes was awful against Carlisle and, unless he was a lot better at Wycombe, I'd leave him out for the more consistent Nolan and blood Stubbs - he must surely have more pace than the others! It won't happen but there ya go.

I thought Dale looked livelier than George vs Carlisle and deserves a start. I suspect Kirk would start before him and wouldn't argue, I'm just not sure a wide role suits him as much as just behind the front 2 in the so-called diamond formation. I think we need more solidity to try that one out!

But I agree with the general thrust of sticking with a formation. We've tried 3-4-3 but it too easily becomes 5-2-3 and we're overrun, plus don't have the depth of squad when key personnel are injured or just go missing. I guess I'm just too old to see past 4-4-2 when we need to grind out points, which seems to be the case right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I suspect Timmy means Lowery in CM rather than Bowery but leaving that aside!

If Wintle is (sadly) injured I give you:

Garratt

Perry Stubbs Nolan Bakayogo
    Ainley Walker Grant Dale
    Porter Dagnall

Raynes was awful against Carlisle and, unless he was a lot better at Wycombe, I'd leave him out for the more consistent Nolan and blood Stubbs - he must surely have more pace than the others! It won't happen but there ya go.

I thought Dale looked livelier than George vs Carlisle and deserves a start. I suspect Kirk would start before him and wouldn't argue, I'm just not sure a wide role suits him as much as just behind the front 2 in the so-called diamond formation. I think we need more solidity to try that one out!

But I agree with the general thrust of sticking with a formation. We've tried 3-4-3 but it too easily becomes 5-2-3 and we're overrun, plus don't have the depth of squad when key personnel are injured or just go missing. I guess I'm just too old to see past 4-4-2 when we need to grind out points, which seems to be the case right now.
    Quite right Aston. Always did get my Bowerys and Lowerys mixed up. Glad I didn't suggest Lowery up front as target man cos I would never hear the end of it!
    Raynes was horrific against Carlisle but that aside, has looked fairly solid so I would give him another go. Grant has much to do to convince me. And Bowery should get a chance if Porter isn't scoring. When all said and done he is not gonna play 46 games.

As mentioned on a couple of other threads, it's 442 for me. However, although Raynes had a shocker against his old club, he has been solid and a leader at the back for most of the season. I wouldn't have Ainley AND grant in the line up together as they are similar- I would have George/Charlie wide and EITHER Ainley or Grant in the centre preferably at the front point of a diamond.
    Whatever, we definitely need width and need to get away from playing too tightly down the middle or lumping the ball from just inside the halfway line.