+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Michael O'Connor

Michael O'Connor

He is our club captain and will be back in early 2018. However, where does he fit in? He would certainly strengthen our bench, but could he dislodge Milsom or Yates? For me, at the moment, no. What a dilemma to have a good player returning.
    Before the the usual prataganists say 'he wor crap last season', so were most, but this lad improved under Nolan.
    Thoughts...

My thoughts are make him earn his place in the team like everyone else has had to.

If Grant and Yates continue in the form they are in then there could be a couple of vacancies in midfield in the not to distant future.

O'Connor was in excellent form prior to his injury, not sure what evidence here is to suggest that folks will say he was "rubbish". He has a bit of class and composure about him and after a shaky start had started to look like a driving force in midfield under Nolan.

However, there are some big "what ifs & buts" here - he has sustained a serious injury. I would guess that he will not be rushed back and his rehabilitation will be paramount. We have to hope that he has lost none of his edge or ability. Time will tell. He will certainly have to demonstrate that he is playing well enough to dislodge anybody from the starting XI. There is no urgency to get him back too quickly, which is a major bonus IMO.

On balance, if he is back to full fitness at some stage, I'd quite like to see him in a midfield alongside Milsom & Yates tbh, (particularly if we lost Grant or Hawridge was injured/suspended), butthat may not happen. There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge before we need to be concerned about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    He is our club captain and will be back in early 2018. However, where does he fit in? He would certainly strengthen our bench, but could he dislodge Milsom or Yates? For me, at the moment, no. What a dilemma to have a good player returning.
    Before the the usual prataganists say 'he wor crap last season', so were most, but this lad improved under Nolan.
    Thoughts...
    He definitely improved under Nolan last season and has a very good footballing brain on him, he would only strengthen this squad when he returns... as for starting... time will tell, maybe we might be still flying at that stage and those involved dont deserve to be dropped.... but KN likes to rotate the squad so the more the merrier i say... I almost forgot that Curtis is due back also.... it would be a serious looking midfield then

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    He definitely improved under Nolan last season and has a very good footballing brain on him, he would only strengthen this squad when he returns... as for starting... time will tell, maybe we might be still flying at that stage and those involved dont deserve to be dropped.... but KN likes to rotate the squad so the more the merrier i say... I almost forgot that Curtis is due back also.... it would be a serious looking midfield then
    If everyone is fully fit and playing well, Yates and O'Connor would be the best combination in centre midfield.

Neither would give the opposition an inch or back down to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by Pies4u View Post
    O'Connor was in excellent form prior to his injury, not sure what evidence here is to suggest that folks will say he was "rubbish". He has a bit of class and composure about him and after a shaky start had started to look like a driving force in midfield under Nolan.

However, there are some big "what ifs & buts" here - he has sustained a serious injury. I would guess that he will not be rushed back and his rehabilitation will be paramount. We have to hope that he has lost none of his edge or ability. Time will tell. He will certainly have to demonstrate that he is playing well enough to dislodge anybody from the starting XI. There is no urgency to get him back too quickly, which is a major bonus IMO.

On balance, if he is back to full fitness at some stage, I'd quite like to see him in a midfield alongside Milsom & Yates tbh, (particularly if we lost Grant or Hawridge was injured/suspended), butthat may not happen. There is a lot of water to pass under the bridge before we need to be concerned about that.
    Absolutely. Having a player like O'Connor fully fit will be like a new signing. As you rightly point out it will require astute management to rehabilitate him back into the squad.

It's great that we are in a position where we seem to have a solid squad, and the plug and play analogy that someone posted on here is a perfect description of players who can come into the starting 11 and fit straight into the system we play.

I think at this level if you can get a team well organised which is was KN has done and players know their role, you are tough to break down defensively and can do this consistently then you are halfway there. This is what Steve Cotteril also did when he came in during our title winning season of 2009/10.

He'll be a replacent for George when the red dogs call him back in January to get them out of the bottom 3