+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Doyle Retires

He's had a decent career and he has earned good money playing a game that most of us would've liked to swapped places with. Many will only remember his contribution at Wolves during our spell in the premier league, but eventually in league one he felt it was beneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71 View Post
    He's had a decent career and he has earned good money playing a game that most of us would've liked to swapped places with. Many will only remember his contribution at Wolves during our spell in the premier league, but eventually in league one he felt it was beneath him.
    Which, at the time, it probably was ! Gav'

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzledWolf View Post
    Which, at the time, it probably was ! Gav'
    Maybe it was, but i look back and think if a side in a higher division wanted him, Doyle would've had to drop his wage demands, he was on good wages at Wolves. He also needed to try and impress on the pitch. A couple of loan spells away from the club, but neither QPR or Palace wanted to make it permanent.

Comment from Roy Keane (now there's a heart warming, caring individual ....)
    If you're worried about injury, play chess - Keane

3 Oct 2017From the section Football

Republic of Ireland assistant manager Roy Keane has told footballers to "play chess" if they are worried about getting hurt.

Responding to a question about Kevin Doyle's retirement because of repeated bouts of concussion, Keane admitted his sadness at the striker's plight, but insisted injury was an occupational hazard for professional sportsmen.

It's a daft statement. I don't think many are worried about getting hurt. Anybody that has played a sport competitively has been hurt. More afraid of losing functioning as a result if CTE. Not being able to enjoy time with the family. Kick a ball around with his kid. Depression. Any other long term effects.

Am I missing something here? If Doyle has been suffering recurring bouts of concussion as a result of his occupation as a footballer (and one who is now 34 years old), with a wife and family to consider then, surely, he'd be a bluddy fool to continue playing. I'm not one who believes professional footballer's and other successful sportsmen are heroes (they ain't), but not everybody get's the chance or would choose to go and get shot at by the Taliban, 'Eve.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzledWolf View Post
    Am I missing something here? If Doyle has been suffering recurring bouts of concussion as a result of his occupation as a footballer (and one who is now 34 years old), with a wife and family to consider then, surely, he'd be a bluddy fool to continue playing. I'm not one who believes professional footballer's and other successful sportsmen are heroes (they ain't), but not everybody get's the chance or would choose to go and get shot at by the Taliban, 'Eve.

Surely if you join the Army out of choice especially for instance an infantry division, there may well ,strangely enough come a time when there is a high likelihood some f**ker is going to shoot at you or try to blow you to smithereens, but you can't then say, Oh no I didn't sign up for this Sh1t!! so believe it or not and thank god they are out there, there are people who do choose to go and get shot at to protect us without thought or fanfare for their own welfare!
    Doyler on the other hand is in a relatively safe working enviroment ,is wealthy and can pull himself out of a supposed problem situation anytime he wants unlike as i mentioned before some of his less privileged predessesors.
    Anyway Grizz these are merely my opinions I don't expect to be universally agreed with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)