+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very impressive...

Very impressive...

Fifth in the table, one point off third, 10 clear of the bottom two. And a trip to Hampden coming up.

Those at Fir Park have fair earned a beer going into the international break.

This has been the best start to a season for at least five years and most definitely the most enjoyable since I can remember.

We are a solid, workmanlike side with some quality peppered throughout the side and players who actually seem to have a connection with the support and the club for a change, likewise a manager with the same.

We aren't even out of September yet and I can confidently say that we'll be nowhere near relegation this season and we have a Cup Semi Final to look forward to. Fantastic stuff!

13 points from eight seems to be as good a record as we managed in 2007, 2011, 2012 and 2013...

I have to confess that there were several times during last season when I contemplated chucking it for good, I was completely scunnered with the club and having McGhee at the helm when he was basically treating the club with contempt and there was zero entertainment value and we lurched from one embarrassment to another. Christ, it was only seven months ago that we were humped 7-2 by Aberdeen then 5-1 at home to Dundee and looked certain to sleepwalk into the playoffs at best.

I wasn't keen on Robinson getting the job but things have certainly looked up since he took the gig.

I don't think Robinson was anyone's idea of a dream solution but fair play to him, he has done absolutely everything right - so far.

He tightened the ship to keep us up, binned a whole wad of dross (lots of which was contracted!) and the senior players he has signed, while often not spectacular, have been a clear improvement.

Our football is definitely not as good as the astonishing start under McGhee in 2007 and probably not even as good as peak McCall when Law was strutting around. But it doesn't need to be *that* good to be moderately successful against the opposition we face and as you've said before, you'd back this group to win a tough cup tie a lot more often than McCall's squads.

Robinson has done incredibly well uniting a squad, getting everyone to work hard, playing simply and having a spark from one or two 'star' players. It sounds easy but clearly it's not or every club/coach would manage it.

I'm not relaxing yet because pre-Christmas we have an absolutely brutal run which could see us sink rapidly even without playing that badly. And January could also see some difficult decisions. But that's for others to worry about, we should definitely be enjoying this while we can.

Early days but so far so good. We've a tough run of fixtures coming up starting with Accies in a fortnight. We weren't at our best today but even second gear was good enough to see off a workmanlike but ultimately poor Partick side. Unusually for us the opposition hardly had a sniff at our goal. Again a team effort but Campbell and Hartley stood out. the referee got perhaps 2 major decisions wrong. Cerni should have been given a straight red and Barton ought to have been given a second yellow. The ref bottled it on both occasions. Strange isn't it that Carson's handball was a red at Perth but Cerni's challenge today was only a yellow.

Its been a good season so far. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    Early days but so far so good. We've a tough run of fixtures coming up starting with Accies in a fortnight. We weren't at our best today but even second gear was good enough to see off a workmanlike but ultimately poor Partick side. Unusually for us the opposition hardly had a sniff at our goal. Again a team effort but Campbell and Hartley stood out. the referee got perhaps 2 major decisions wrong. Cerni should have been given a straight red and Barton ought to have been given a second yellow. The ref bottled it on both occasions. Strange isn't it that Carson's handball was a red at Perth but Cerni's challenge today was only a yellow.

Its been a good season so far. Long may it continue.
    Last season there was never a spark, even if we arent dominating now there is always a likely wee spark from somewhere. Thistle were just starting to settle a wee bit and we just hit them with the second. Its very enjoyable watching us right now. We have numerous options. Compare that to the utter mind numbing sh1te of last few years. This proves the very argument I used to have with the "we are not Barcelona" mob .. we excused utter utter dross because "we shouldnt" expect better ...thankfully Robinson doesnt subscribe to that mind numbing defeatism.

I take nothing away from us yesterday but I've listened to the media wax lyrically about Thistle for weeks saying they are a good team and play good football .. even what I've seen on TV Ive thought they were sh1te and yesterday just backed that up .. easily the worst team we've faced. However that guff Thistle team would have beat us last year.

Quote Originally Posted by steviex View Post
    This proves the very argument I used to have with the "we are not Barcelona" mob .. we excused utter utter dross because "we shouldnt" expect better ...thankfully Robinson doesnt subscribe to that mind numbing defeatism.
    Alternatively it proves the argument that no club of our resources can expect to be great every season, wait a bit and the cycle swings round again.

Well even Barcelona cannot expect to be great every season, so that negates that I think.

The "we ain't Barca" nonsense was and is just that. Nonsense. It is self defeating rubbish and a ready made excuse for when we fail and is something that has been used far too many times over the years by some of our support and sadly a succession of managers and players too.

Essentially what it is saying is "We were utterly hopeless in that game/today but we can't complain or criticise too much because we aren't Barcelona, we are a small, two-bit Scottish outfit and we are punching above our weight to even be in the top division and we should be grateful to avoid relegation and expecting anything more is wrong."

As I said, NONSENSE.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Well even Barcelona cannot expect to be great every season, so that negates that I think.

The "we ain't Barca" nonsense was and is just that. Nonsense. It is self defeating rubbish and a ready made excuse for when we fail and is something that has been used far too many times over the years by some of our support and sadly a succession of managers and players too.

Essentially what it is saying is "We were utterly hopeless in that game/today but we can't complain or criticise too much because we aren't Barcelona, we are a small, two-bit Scottish outfit and we are punching above our weight to even be in the top division and we should be grateful to avoid relegation and expecting anything more is wrong."

As I said, NONSENSE.
    It is nonsense, as is the notion anyone posted anything remotely like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)