+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Will Hughes - Part 123

Will Hughes - Part 123

I can't recall how many threads we've had over the past 5yrs so 123 it is.

He managed to warm the bench yesterday, second time this season in the league - the reason he had stated many times before that he would not leave Derby to do.

His only start came in the League Cup defeat to Bristol City.

It was suggested that Derby, Rowett or whoever were happy for him to go and I for one thought that to fulfil his promise he needed to go and play his trade in the PL.

What I'm now scratching my head at is why on earth Watford didn't suggest or we didn't insist on loaning him back. Some say he slowed play down, from what I've seen so far this season we've needed that at times to take the sting out of the game.

What is evident at Derby is that we don't have the man to link defence and attack, the man who picks the ball up off of the back four or DM's and creates space and openings.

Huddlestone is a great passer of the ball but plays the diaganol passes that switch play or assists a swift counter attack. What he does not do so much of is provide the slide rule pass in and around the box which was Will's forte.

I think Vydra would massively benefit from a WH type player

At his age he should be getting game time and he's at the wrong age for his career to be stalling.

For those who said he was inconsistent I quote every other player in the club save Carson and Keogh.

He's as lost as we are at the moment.

The best player I have seen in a Derby shirt in the past ten years and one that I, and more crucially Derby are missing.

He's the loan we should have gone after.

"Best player weve had in 10 years"

Weve had some class acts in the last 10 years tbf.. robbie savage, gary teale, albretson, lee croft, edworthy, leacock, commons, hulse to name a few,, not exactly hard to beat the players we had from 2008-2013,, where we wet our pants at loan signings like moore lol.. alberto bueno was the best technical player weve had and just ended up in the wrong team, hed have been great in the 2013-14 playoff side,, hughes doesnt come close to him for vision and passing ability imo.

Face it,, hughes is an average championship player, doesnt score enough, and doesnt assist enough either,, thats why watford have taken a punt on him for 5m, because hes not worth anymore than that,, and watford are finding out hes just too lightweight aswell, knocked off the ball far too easily,, looks great when given 20 yard of space, but so would most players at this level.

He got on the pitch yesterday to celebrate!

If we fancy old players, I'd rather have Hendrick back than Hughes. I bet Watford are gutted having paid so much for him.

Hendrick got the winner for Burnley against Everton today and proving he has what it takes to play in the PL and Hughes hardly getting game time at Watford and not showing what he has got to give in the PL.

Story of the times....

Never really rated either of em tbh but yeah hendrick would be better option, bigger, stronger, fitter and just has more of a nasty streak in him,, hughes is timid with a bit of smugness, doesnt wash against opposition players like birminghams robinson for exp.

Looking at the players rowett wants he wants more war goers which will be fine once we get the balance right.. one thing i cant fault from yesterday was the fight,, we just need more of them.

10m for hendrick is looking fair. 5m with debt wavered for vydra is looking pretty dreadful business for a bench warmer, probably wont be making the bench a lot either,, can see him farmed out to a champ club soon aswell,, wouldnt be surprised if his career nose dived and he ended up at chesterfield or some other league 1 or 2 club.

Similar to lupoli ?

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    10m for hendrick is looking fair. 5m with debt wavered for vydra is looking pretty dreadful business for a bench warmer, probably wont be making the bench a lot either,, can see him farmed out to a champ club soon aswell,, wouldnt be surprised if his career nose dived and he ended up at chesterfield or some other league 1 or 2 club.

Similar to lupoli ?
    Lupoli scored goals and made an impact on games!

Hughes isn't that bad, just not that amazing either. Would make a good journeyman type player.

Watford haven't found out jack **** about him because they haven't played him. 5 million was an absolutely shocking deal for Derby. I'd rather take Hughes getting knocked off the ball every now and again over Johnson retaining possession only to then to pass it either into touch or directly to the opposition.

Redacted I'm with you on that one. Some were getting quite excited about Kiftenbield which shows where expectations are heading.....

In terms of us being able to field two sides to compete I'd be happy with one that was committed

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)