+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oldham

Oldham

Anyone going? I am. We need to win to have any chance of progressing in the competition but more importantly because they need a lift. Unfortunately, Oldham sacked their manager 2 weeks too early!

So that's just me, then?

Well I was silly enough to go. What an absolute shambles in the first half. It was awful to watch. Second half was marginally better. At least we managed a few attacks, but in wo way was this an acceptable. Getting serious problem now and hard to see how we can get any wins with this selection. Have Artell and Lunt lost the plot? Appears so.

Positives:- Stubbs had a good solid game and seemed to have a good balance with Raynes. Both of them tried to help the overrun midfield where possible. This defeat was not down to our defence.

Negatives:- Walker did not have a very good game, but it was so difficult for him as he was the only midfielder trying to cover both sides. Kirk and Raynes unable to have influence on the game. As said before not ready for 1st team. Lowery was absolutely woeful. Runs around like a headless chicken and disrupts the rest of the team. Lacks any discipline and appears unaware of what his duties are as a midfielder. How he is being selected is beyond me.

After the game I was talking to some Oldham supporters. They all said they were impressed by our defence and it was a good base to advance from. When I asked them their opinion of our midfield they all laughed and said "what midfield?".

We are in a hell of a mess and the management have to sort this out immediately

APologies mistake naming Raynes, Should have been Ainley.

My views on the state of this Trophy (Checkatrade). How can this competition in its present form be viable? 248 fans attended the Grimsby versus Sunderland game in this competition. Get rid of the league format and kick out these PL and Championship teams. This is our cup.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    How can this competition in its present form be viable? 248 fans attended the Grimsby versus Sunderland game in this competition. Get rid of the league format and kick out these PL and Championship teams. This is our cup.

Hear! Hear!
    I'd go one step further - make every round up to and including the semis a 2-legged affair.
    The group stages are laborious, just like they are in competitions like the Europa League.
    Knockout is where the excitement is - proper cup ties!!