+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rams in Spain for Steve Bloomer Trophy

Rams in Spain for Steve Bloomer Trophy

Derby County will again honour the memory of their greatest player and goal scorer when they play Real Union in Spain later today - External Link

Quote Originally Posted by Footymad View Post
    Derby County will again honour the memory of their greatest player and goal scorer when they play Real Union in Spain later today - External Link
    No disrespect to Steve Bloomer but he's already got a statue and a (bloody awful) song. He's one of our greats without a doubt but it's also over a century since he last represented Derby. We've had other greats, some of whom might be struggling a bit because of the long term injuries they collected playing football in a less well rewarded age. Steve Powell and Ted McMinn spring to mind and there are other greats who shouldn't have to die before their efforts are recognised.
    Maybe a Kevin Hector or Roy McFarland major friendly could be arranged each season/pre season with the proceeds going to the more 'needy' of our ex players rather than yet another 'tribute' to Steve Bloomer.

I think it's a great idea. Irun is little more than a village. Bloomer winning the Spanish Cup with them was an absurd achievement. I've always wanted to visit the Basque country and will definitely go in the future if this fixture is contested annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Redacted View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Irun is little more than a village. Bloomer winning the Spanish Cup with them was an absurd achievement. I've always wanted to visit the Basque country and will definitely go in the future if this fixture is contested annually.
    Apologies Redacted...I hadn't recognised the Bloomer connection with Real Union. My mistake and I do see the point now.
    Still like to see some greater recognition of other former heroes before they die though and still think there's a place for today's millionaires to do something for those carrying life changing industries from a previous era.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Apologies Redacted...I hadn't recognised the Bloomer connection with Real Union. My mistake and I do see the point now.
    Still like to see some greater recognition of other former heroes before they die though and still think there's a place for today's millionaires to do something for those carrying life changing industries from a previous era.
    'Industries'???...injuries...sorry.

Totally appeals to my sense of history and good for The Rams putting any sort of team up for this. Surprised this has had so little publicity, might have been worth getting a charabanc together for some footy-centred late summer sun

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The Shaun Barker testimonial was the most positive experiences I've had regarding the club in the last few years. It was great to see all our ex players and the game was played in just the right spirit. Maybe float the idea around a few forums? One good thing about the current board is that they're very receptive to fan suggestions.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)