+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memories of ipswich

memories of ipswich

was at both games in the 70s against them at the lane woodys 4 and len boys longe range cracker and the 3 1 win when tony field beat about 6 players in a mazy dribble also if theres any on here old enough to remember my first experience on the kop 1961 promotion season stood on a fold up chair night game nearly got crushed on shoreham st queing for what seemed an eternity to get in we lost 3 1 that night think ronnie simpson got our goal but wasnt it great night matches at the lane under floodlights magical utb ftp

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    was at both games in the 70s against them at the lane woodys 4 and len boys longe range cracker and the 3 1 win when tony field beat about 6 players in a mazy dribble also if theres any on here old enough to remember my first experience on the kop 1961 promotion season stood on a fold up chair night game nearly got crushed on shoreham st queing for what seemed an eternity to get in we lost 3 1 that night think ronnie simpson got our goal but wasnt it great night matches at the lane under floodlights magical utb ftp
    Only thing Field ever did.

David Brooks should watch video's of Tony Field it would improve his game.

I was thinking the last Ipswich game , yer know the one where we sat after the whistle having won 3-0 waiting for the wonderful news from the rust bucket v palace , aah happy day out that was😀😀

First memory of Ipswich was spanking them 7-0. When I got back home I shouted to my Dad,(a Wednesdayite), 'We've won 7-0!' to which he replied 'I've heard. Six lucky goals and a penalty'. Still miss him now, daft bugger...

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    First memory of Ipswich was spanking them 7-0. When I got back home I shouted to my Dad,(a Wednesdayite), 'We've won 7-0!' to which he replied 'I've heard. Six lucky goals and a penalty'. Still miss him now, daft bugger...
    Yes and that was a very good Ipswich side Bobby Robson had. They finished second in the first division the following year I think

I don't remember the 1961 game as it was a bit before my time, but I was on the kop for both games in the 70s

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Tony Fields goal always springs to mind I was there telling him to pass the ball .

Most bizarre game was in triple assault season in the fourth round of the cup when we played a weakened team went 3-0 up they got back to 3-3 and we scored in the last minute to win 4-3. Neil W said after the match he was desperate for anyone to score at 3-3 to avoid extra time. We went onto the semis that year when we were robbed at Old Trafford by a bent ref. Ipswich hated us after this game calling us a long ball team. Sour grapes if I remember right from their manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...26/match.sport
    Ipswich hated us before this like forest last week they still hold it against us for knocking them out of the play offs a few yrs previous we drew 1-1 at the lane and went through on away goals (they counted back then) after drawing 2 a piece down there us bein down to 10 men (mark Patterson sent off) and Kelly hobbling about in goal for last half hour at least they were big favourites but we turned them over on a night when my nerves were in shreds boy did we celebrate though at the full time whistle,palace wiped the smile off our faces at Wembley though. TWENTY yrs ago doesn't time fly

Quote Originally Posted by charliejoejohn2 View Post
    Yes and that was a very good Ipswich side Bobby Robson had. They finished second in the first division the following year I think
    Alf had a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Tony Fields goal always springs to mind I was there telling him to pass the ball .

Most bizarre game was in triple assault season in the fourth round of the cup when we played a weakened team went 3-0 up they got back to 3-3 and we scored in the last minute to win 4-3. Neil W said after the match he was desperate for anyone to score at 3-3 to avoid extra time. We went onto the semis that year when we were robbed at Old Trafford by a bent ref. Ipswich hated us after this game calling us a long ball team. Sour grapes if I remember right from their manager.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...26/match.sport
    Browny scored another carcker in that 4-3 cup tie(similar to the one against the grunters a few days previously but at the Kop end) In the Semi Seaman made THAT save from Pesky,best save i've ever seen when i've been at the game.UTCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast