+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whale Vomit

Whale Vomit

Good Afternoon.

Whilst I was walking the dog on the beach here in Morecambe I may have found a chunk of whale vomit.

Probably most of you have closed the thread already but bear with me.

Whale vomit, or ambergris, is a very precious and valuable component of perfume.

A few years ago someone here found a lump worth around £40K - £90K.

This lump is about half that size and I am not sure if it is genuine whale vomit or a very old piece of smelly wood.

I don't suppose for one minute there is an expert on whale vomit on here?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-whale-1564302

Yes, I am!

We get a lot of it here in Bolton. The Whale family are always gathered outside Wetherspoons inebriated and having a fag.

Come closing time the Whale family accumulated vomit in the road stinks to high heaven.

On a more serious note, bag it and nip it home and wait for clarification.

Brilliant!

No doubt the whale family are followed around by people plying them with drinks and carrying plastic bags and shovels.

The Lump is safely at home. When Mrs 59-60 returns I will have a bit of explaining to do....

A 1.1-kilogram (2.4 lb) lump of ambergris, found on a beach at Anglesey, Wales, was sold to a French buyer for £11,000 at an auction in Macclesfield, England, on 25 September 2015

You should be planning a holiday ... in Wales!!

Or a meal fit for a king
    A serving of eggs and ambergris was reportedly King Charles II of England's favorite dish.

All you need to know on whale vomit
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambergris.

Didn’t realise it’s sale was illegal in the US and Oz,

One thing I will NOT be doing is eating it OC - even if it turns out to be whale vomit!

It smells rotten. I don't know which brand of perfume it is used in but avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

It smells rotten. I don't know which brand of perfume it is used in but avoid.
    IDENTIFYING AMBERGRIS

Ambergris has a very specific odour and this is the best and quickest way to identify it. The odour makes it possible not only to determine the age and quality but also to predict the evolution of the piece over time. To some people the odour is nauseous while to others it is attractive and even sensuous. There is certainly an animalic component, reminiscent of farm animals, or even a faecal note, perhaps like that of a well rotted manure heap. There can also be a strong marine note like the smell of seaweed on a beach. Once you have smelt it you will not forget it.
    Over time, the odour becomes softer and more "perfumistic" whilst still preserving its marked animal characteristics. Total "refinement" takes 10 to 20 years or more but the animalic notes will always be retained.

hit the link for more info.

http://www.ambergris.fr/identificati...ambergris.html

Good Luck....59/60

Well,if it is Ambergris you are a lucky man,get it checked out by an expert.. Worth a fortune

Thanks for that Norder. My missus better not start wearing it in bed, that's all I'm saying.

Yes Alf, I'll get it checked out.

Free pies all round if it is vomit.

Can I have a pint with my pie please?

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Thanks for that Norder. My missus better not start wearing it in bed, that's all I'm saying.
    Proper made me laugh that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)