+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan's team selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The problem wasn't team selection, it was intensity and attitude. It was exactly what I feared after seeing so many predictions of four and five goal victories. Just like at Mansfield, we never got going. It was like they had an extra man because they won all the second balls in midfield and always found someone in space to pass to. We made error after error with the most basic passes. I hope their league position is a false one, because they looked a class above us today.
    What he said!!!

From the off, you could see they wanted it more and if I didn't know otherwise, I wouldn't have said we were at the top of the table. Yates has been my player of the season so far, but he had a stinker today. Grant has been great so far, but for me he is more effective coming off the bench - I didn't think he worked hard enough today in large parts of the game. Hawkridge was dreadful and Milsom took too long to get going but at least improved as it went on.

I had Forte as my MOTM, but when it was announced, the blokes in front of me fell about laughing! It's all opinions I guess...

Ultimately I think our players expected an easy 3pts but didn't seem prepared to graft for it. FGR were decent and have to admit I felt they deserved a win. The last two games have really brought us crashing back down to earth which I think is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertomac View Post
    What he said!!!

From the off, you could see they wanted it more and if I didn't know otherwise, I wouldn't have said we were at the top of the table. Yates has been my player of the season so far, but he had a stinker today. Grant has been great so far, but for me he is more effective coming off the bench - I didn't think he worked hard enough today in large parts of the game. Hawkridge was dreadful and Milsom took too long to get going but at least improved as it went on.

I had Forte as my MOTM, but when it was announced, the blokes in front of me fell about laughing! It's all opinions I guess...

Ultimately I think our players expected an easy 3pts but didn't seem prepared to graft for it. FGR were decent and have to admit I felt they deserved a win. The last two games have really brought us crashing back down to earth which I think is a good thing.

We didn’t lose.

I think we do have the class, EP, but I'm afraid Nolly's dropping of players for no apparent reason is possibly numbing the players wishes to show it. It could make a player afraid of trying something different, knowing his mistake could cost him his place. But then again, few mistakes were made against Swindon and Exeter but still players were dropped. Insecurity will breed a lack of confidence and stifle creativity. Can anyone say Nolan's faith in keeping nine out of ten of the team that were humbled by Mansfield paid off today?
    Last edited by LaxtonLad; 07-10-2017 at 08:35 PM.

The problem wasn't team selection, it was intensity and attitude. It was exactly what I feared after seeing so many predictions of four and five goal victories. Just like at Mansfield, we never got going. It was like they had an extra man because they won all the second balls in midfield and always found someone in space to pass to. We made error after error with the most basic passes. I hope their league position is a false one, because they looked a class above us today.
    Could not agree more .

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Could not agree more .

Spot on.

I completely agree. How they were bottom of the league on that display is beyond me. Perhaps they upped their game in front of a large crowd, or we made them look good, I don't know. What I do know though is that we were simply not good enough today. We had no devine right to just turn up and expect the 3 points or expect to give them a beating. Anyone can beat anyone in this league.

What is frustrating and disappointing is that we had our biggest home crowd for years as FGR only brought about 100 and we let ourselves down. Today was supposed to be an opportunity to show the people of Nottingham or those that have not been for a while why we were top of the league and we failed. A credit though to those behind the scenes because I've not seen Meadow Lane so full.

The one positive is that we were true magpies and stole a point because we did not deserve one and FGR will feel somewhat hard done by to only leave Meadow Lane with a point. I suppose if we can play so poor and still get a result that tells us something.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    I think we do have the class, EP, but I'm afraid Nolly's dropping of players for no apparent reason is possibly numbing the players wishes to show it. It could make a player afraid of trying something different, knowing his mistake could cost him his place. But then again, few mistakes were made against Swindon and Exeter but still players were dropped. Insecurity will breed a lack of confidence and stifle creativity. Can anyone say Nolan's faith in keeping nine out of ten of the team that were humbled by Mansfield paid off today?
    I don’t think it was ever about dropping players because they weren’t playing well, but using the squad to full effect. The irony is that all of the changes were made after we won games, and there weren’t widespread changes following the worst performance of the season.

A few thoughts after today...

1 Our strength is pressing teams and making life difficult for them, which at this level means they make mistakes in bad areas. When we don’t do that, we’re average.

2 We’ve already had lots of games this season when the margin between winning and drawing was slim (Swindon, Port Vale, even Chesterfield and Lincoln, where we were against 10 men), and that probably evens out over the course of the season. I don’t think we’ve outclassed many teams this season, which you would expect a table-topping side to do. Let’s not worry about top spot yet, let’s just try and get the intensity back and back to winning ways next week.

3 Despite his obvious pedigree, Grant has consistently had far more impact when he’s come on as a sub. Should this become a regular tactic even if he’s match-fit?

4 Let’s hope Ameobi is fit enough to start next week. Time for him and Stead to swap places.

5 Two bad performances in a row - a blip or is this the point in a season when teams get “found out”? Let’s hope it’s the former; just so, so Notts that we flop in the big games.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    The one positive is that we were true magpies and stole a point because we did not deserve one and FGR will feel somewhat hard done by to only leave Meadow Lane with a point. I suppose if we can play so poor and still get a result that tells us something.
    How often have we seen teams fail to reach a boil after a 'big' midweek match? But yes, that's would I'd be saying to the lads if I woz Nozza: "You were sh!te, but you nicked a point, so that's something to build on." It's not the first time this season our fitness/spirit/opportunism has got us rewards at the end.

It sounds like we were crap, but you have to take the result at the end of the day. FGR will be feeling worse than Notts tonight - although Exeter will be feeling better. I'm feeling okay about it all in the sense that we've got a full week to recover and reinvigorate, Barnet also have injury problems, and we didn't slip to a defeat - which would have been a much bigger problem.

It would no disgrace for Nolo to get us solid upper half of the table this season, but his performance so far has really increased expectations of him. Time to be patient. No shame in grinding out a few draws if he's learning the ropes and getting his Notts "style" established along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SolSigns View Post
    How often have we seen teams fail to reach a boil after a 'big' midweek match? But yes, that's would I'd be saying to the lads if I woz Nozza: "You were sh!te, but you nicked a point, so that's something to build on." It's not the first time this season our fitness/spirit/opportunism has got us rewards at the end.

It sounds like we were crap, but you have to take the result at the end of the day. FGR will be feeling worse than Notts tonight - although Exeter will be feeling better. I'm feeling okay about it all in the sense that we've got a full week to recover and reinvigorate, Barnet also have injury problems, and we didn't slip to a defeat - which would have been a much bigger problem.

It would no disgrace for Nolo to get us solid upper half of the table this season, but his performance so far has really increased expectations of him. Time to be patient. No shame in grinding out a few draws if he's learning the ropes and getting his Notts "style" established along the way.
    What midweek match? 7 days to recover from Mansfield and we were second to every ball. Looked to me like they expected 3 easy points.

Nolan needs our backing today wasn’t a great result but in league two the gap between top and bottom isn’t huge these results happen.

I hope regardless Nolan stays for a full season only way I see him leaving is if a bigger club comes in for him we need to stick with someone and most can tell he is a level above most managers we have had for years

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast