+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: goalkeeper

goalkeeper

what will it take for garratt to regain the no1 spot?

this site is so slow cant be a*****-- to tryndpee
    eve the val ha esuperior site
    wwhat a joke we are
    why cant i type a a messager?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    what will it take for garratt to regain the no1 spot?

The $600M question.
    The downside to being a no.2 is sitting on the bench week in, week out - must be soul-destroying.

But the upside?
    Once you're in, you're in and it would probably take a series of blunders to lose your place.

And that's partly why I think Garratt was unlucky to miss out, I don't think he did a lot wrong.
    But again on the flipside, Richards really seems to have seized his chance - and does seem to have that little something about him that all goalkeepers must have.
    All very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
    this site is so slow cant be a*****-- to tryndpee
    eve the val ha esuperior site
    wwhat a joke we are
    why cant i type a a messager?

PICNIC!

Pleasing to see Richards take his chance - he looks a good prospect. Will not hurt Garratt sitting on the bench. Good to remind him that there is competition. Up to Richards to make the most of the opportunity.

Another point about the goalkeeping situation.
    I seriously hope we never find ourselves in a similar position to the one we had a few years ago when Rhys Taylor was keeping Steve Phillips out of the team - what a ridiculous state of affairs that was!
    Thankfully for us, this one feels different!
    Good on Richards for that!

And speaking of Phillips, have a guess who is the new goalkeeping coach for next week's opponents?

https://www.ytfc.net/news/2017/septe...h-alterations/

Pre-match drinks at Huish Park can be had in the "tent".
    Who knows, he might pop in. It would be great to see him again.
    One of our best in recent times!

What I liked about him on Saturday was near the end when we got a free kick on the halfway line, he set off like a sprinter to take it, quick thinking

Hasn't made a mistake and, as a result should keep his place.

Big plus - he can clear the ball a lot further than Ben, so can help keep the pressure off.

Slight minus - with ball in hand he races to the edge of the box and then can't decide who to throw it to when there are options available. There were times in the first half when he certainly held the ball for well over the allowed 6 seconds (and I mean WELL over!) and a more competent referee than yesterday's clown might pick up on that; I'm sure home fans would be drawing attention to it on our travels.

I've been a fan of Richards for a while now. Isn't it great to have two exceptional goalies?
    Where Richards may have benefitted is from seeing Ben play and working out what he's doing well and what not so well. There is still a big future for Ben - and if he watches Richards it might help (just at Richards watched him).

Ben is young. He'll come good - better - again.

Agreed, AL. I still think Ben is the better keeper, but Richards has shown over the past few matches that he can push him to better things.