+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Another "big" occasion in which the side froze to a 0-0 draw in front of an expectant big crowd v Lincoln if I recall correctly.
    Between the Lincoln draw in November and the Exeter draw in May that season, we played eleven home games, won them all, scored 36 goals, conceded 5, averaged 11,500.

I'd settle for that this season!

Another "big" occasion in which the side froze to a 0-0 draw in front of an expectant big crowd v Lincoln if I recall correctly.
    The crowd was far bigger a few days before that Lincoln match - 21000 v Northampton to witness Hateley's return as a Notts player. For once Notts didn't freeze and won 1-0 with a Jon Nixon goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    The crowd was far bigger a few days before that Lincoln match - 21000 v Northampton to witness Hateley's return as a Notts player. For once Notts didn't freeze and won 1-0 with a Jon Nixon goal.
    Memories fade. Certainly the Saturday before was a massive attendance so something brought it on - but in my mind his debut on his return was under the lights. I certainly was there v Lincoln and can't imagine why I wouldn't have been there v the Cobblers. Did he actually play on the Saturday?

And to the main point - when have Notts ever won on the "big" occasions. Going back to the FA Cup v York I remember disappointment after disappointment. Cup thrills v Man City come to mind - oh and some Wembley trips , perhaps the bad ones sit high in the expectations.

Memories fade. Certainly the Saturday before was a massive attendance so something brought it on - but in my mind his debut on his return was under the lights. I certainly was there v Lincoln and can't imagine why I wouldn't have been there v the Cobblers. Did he actually play on the Saturday?

And to the main point - when have Notts ever won on the "big" occasions. Going back to the FA Cup v York I remember disappointment after disappointment. Cup thrills v Man City come to mind - oh and some Wembley trips , perhaps the bad ones sit high in the expectations.
    Hateley did play v Northampton. The Lincoln game was 4 days later on the Wednesday night when he got subbed off (for Les Bradd).

As for winning big occasions, we beat Fword a fair few times, Man Utd beaten twice in the 80s, 3 Play off semis at ML all won, Huddersfield great escape, Everton and Spurs in the League Cup, Man City in tier2 in 1985 (in front of almost 18,000), Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted, promotion rivals Walsall in 1960 beaten in front of 22,000.
    Nowhere near enough big wins, but everybody over a certain age will at least have some positive Meadow Lane memories of important games in front of big crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Hateley did play v Northampton. The Lincoln game was 4 days later on the Wednesday night when he got subbed off (for Les Bradd).

As for winning big occasions, we beat Fword a fair few times, Man Utd beaten twice in the 80s, 3 Play off semis at ML all won, Huddersfield great escape, Everton and Spurs in the League Cup, Man City in tier2 in 1985 (in front of almost 18,000), Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted, promotion rivals Walsall in 1960 beaten in front of 22,000.
    Nowhere near enough big wins, but everybody over a certain age will at least have some positive Meadow Lane memories of important games in front of big crowds.
    This is true, we have memories, but nearly all of them under Sirrel or Warnock. The defeat at Mansfield tells me nothing has changed and we still choke. Sirrel or Warnock would never have written that kind of defeat off as 'one of those things'. They would have given the players a kick up the arse.

Tranmere in 1973 to get promoted,
    My very first game!

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    This is true, we have memories, but nearly all of them under Sirrel or Warnock. The defeat at Mansfield tells me nothing has changed and we still choke. Sirrel or Warnock would never have written that kind of defeat off as 'one of those things'. They would have given the players a kick up the arse.
    Too bleddy right they would.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    My very first game!
    I made the mistake of letting my then future wife set the date for the wedding - absolutely no consideration for the fixture list

I must have had something important on for the Saturday game then because there's no way I'd have willingly missed my avatar's return. Fairly sure I would have seem him on his debut with Newsham out injured as I think I made all the home games that season, and a then skinny young Astle a year or two later.

I made the mistake of letting my then future wife set the date for the wedding - absolutely no consideration for the fixture list
    Disgraceful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast