+ Visit Dundee FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Scotland fans

  1. #1

    Scotland fans

    Em no having a go.....well I am a wee bit but not in a bad way.

    Why are they so completely different from any club side in this country.

    Average age must be about 55.

    Is it cost? Or what's the attraction for wilder guys and a helluva lot of women?

    Some of the international supports these days are pretty fanatical but ours looks like a team building weekend for civil servants.

  2. #2
    That should read older guys.

  3. #3
    Looks like an audition for coach trip

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Em no having a go.....well I am a wee bit but not in a bad way.

    Why are they so completely different from any club side in this country.

    Average age must be about 55.

    Is it cost? Or what's the attraction for wilder guys and a helluva lot of women?

    Some of the international supports these days are pretty fanatical but ours looks like a team building weekend for civil servants.

    Nothing wrang wi Scotland fans,thon TA though phucking belters, better than normal fans ya ken

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by _JohnGotti_ View Post
    Nothing wrang wi Scotland fans,thon TA though phucking belters, better than normal fans ya ken
    I don't want them to lose but it would be a bit of a stretch to call myself a fan.

    I watch more in curiosity. I'd be more devastated Dee dropping 2 points at home to Motherwell than Scotland not qualifying for a wc playoff.

    No always been that way. Was at the back of the Dundee end at Hampden when the wee fat ******* Mark McGhee scored against England which was an incredible experience (can't remember what year) yet by 1993 I was in Portugal to watch a 5-0 humping and looked around at our support and just thought nah no for me.

    What happened in those 5 or 6 years?

    I wonder how many of the tartan army are regulars at club football. I would think a minority.

  6. #6
    I used to go to all the Scotland games, home and away, umpteen times we drove through Europe to games.
    My mate worked for he press, and for the games at Hampden, (134000) , we went to the sundaypost offices in dundas street Glasgow.
    Doug baillie lwould give us the tickets, if there was 8 of us , we would probably get 5 tickets, but we wouldlways get in.
    I'm not giving away any secrets how it was done !
    We always parked right outside Hampden, and and if there was any road closures, my mate just waved his press pass and we were through.
    Apart from one, we were all dees,.
    How things have changed, wouldn't go across the road to watch Scotland now , although I went to the tonight to watch the game.
    Can't say anyone in the pub seemed surprised by the outcome.
    Personally I think British teams, club or national are too sporting and too honest.

  7. #7
    I don't do Scotland and haven't since the Berti Vogts days; he put me off international football and I've never got it since then. I do tend to watch the bigger games on TV - I watched the game yesterday but that's the only one I watched from the entire 'qualifying campaign'.

    To back up something that RRoS says above a girl I used to work with goes to every Scotland game with her husband but neither of them go to any league games - different strokes I suppose but for me I don't understand how anyone can feel even close to the passion for Scotland that they do for their club, without the passion football might as well be hockey.

    Tartan Army with their kilts, stupid hats, bagpipes and faux friendliness toward everyone gets my goat too.

    Edit - having watched yesterday's game and wondering who half these players were and how they were ever selected for Scotland I realise that you don't have to be the best available in your position to get a game for Scotland. Does anyone know the actual criteria for selection?
    Last edited by Deeranged; 09-10-2017 at 05:43 AM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I used to go to all the Scotland games, home and away, umpteen times we drove through Europe to games.
    My mate worked for he press, and for the games at Hampden, (134000) , we went to the sundaypost offices in dundas street Glasgow.
    Doug baillie lwould give us the tickets, if there was 8 of us , we would probably get 5 tickets, but we wouldlways get in.
    I'm not giving away any secrets how it was done !
    We always parked right outside Hampden, and and if there was any road closures, my mate just waved his press pass and we were through.
    Apart from one, we were all dees,.
    How things have changed, wouldn't go across the road to watch Scotland now , although I went to the tonight to watch the game.
    Can't say anyone in the pub seemed surprised by the outcome.
    Personally I think British teams, club or national are too sporting and too honest.
    I think it was either 85000 or 86000 at the game I was on about can't really imagine another 50k inside the ground.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I don't do Scotland and haven't since the Berti Vogts days; he put me off international football and I've never got it since then. I do tend to watch the bigger games on TV - I watched the game yesterday but that's the only one I watched from the entire 'qualifying campaign'.

    To back up something that RRoS says above a girl I used to work with goes to every Scotland game with her husband but neither of them go to any league games - different strokes I suppose but for me I don't understand how anyone can feel even close to the passion for Scotland that they do for their club, without the passion football might as well be hockey.

    Tartan Army with their kilts, stupid hats, bagpipes and faux friendliness toward everyone gets my goat too.

    Edit - having watched yesterday's game and wondering who half these players were and how they were ever selected for Scotland I realise that you don't have to be the best available in your position to get a game for Scotland. Does anyone know the actual criteria for selection?
    I used to work with a women who went everywhere to see Scotland and she didn't know the most basic things about the Scottish game but could tell you how many travellers cheques to take to Azerbaijan, what tablets shuggie takes for his diabetes and what tartan Dougal wears on a Wednesday.

    It's like a social event.......the jolly rather than the game or club.

    She also called herself "the mum of the bus" which made my skin crawl if em being honest.

    Ask her where hibs, raith or Ayr play though and it would be blankety blank.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I think it was either 85000 or 86000 at the game I was on about can't really imagine another 50k inside the ground.
    The best games were the 134,000 ones. Everybody had a carry oot !
    You were miles from the bogs , so everybody pissed into their empty cans !
    Only problem was when Scotland scored, the cans went up in the air, so you got drenched in piss and lager !
    Same going out, rivers of piss and mud, and we looked forward to the next game !
    15/20 minutes after the game we were having a pint in the Byers road and reading a full match report in the daily record.
    Now the match experience is dull.
    Sit doon,put that flag away, no swearing, careful what your singing, no smoking, get aff that seat etc.
    And I still go to dens, brainwashed since birth.

  11. #11
    As a young laddie in the early 70's I remember getting round the telly for the home internationals when the old man invited everybody to our house ,there was a real buzz watching Scotland games then and genuinely world class players...well a couple...

    Last game for me was against England at Hampden in 89 I think Steve Bull scored that day and there was loads of trouble before and after the game ,that was it for me and have never felt like going back.

    Never had the same dyed in the blood feel for the national team that I had for the Dees at any time tbh...

    The Tartan Army remind me of Harley Davidson riders ,middle aged plenty of disposable income and clueless when it comes to the very subject they claim to love ,they love to be be seen in all the kilt ,glengarry gear and timberland boots but a total minter for me...everyone to their own eh.....

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    The best games were the 134,000 ones. Everybody had a carry oot !
    You were miles from the bogs , so everybody pissed into their empty cans !
    Only problem was when Scotland scored, the cans went up in the air, so you got drenched in piss and lager !
    Same going out, rivers of piss and mud, and we looked forward to the next game !
    15/20 minutes after the game we were having a pint in the Byers road and reading a full match report in the daily record.
    Now the match experience is dull.
    Sit doon,put that flag away, no swearing, careful what your singing, no smoking, get aff that seat etc.
    And I still go to dens, brainwashed since birth.
    It is dull but the same things keeps dragging most back, guilt, loyalty and force of habit I think.

    Some teams are still able to generate an atmosphere in this country but not many and a lot of the so called great atmospheres are just tabloid bull****. Tynecastle being prime example.

    Thinking about it that crowd was biggest I've ever been in.

    Can't think of many others that have come close. Was at tic v dabs cup final in 74 but wouldn't have thought it would be near that.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    As a young laddie in the early 70's I remember getting round the telly for the home internationals when the old man invited everybody to our house ,there was a real buzz watching Scotland games then and genuinely world class players...well a couple...

    Last game for me was against England at Hampden in 89 I think Steve Bull scored that day and there was loads of trouble before and after the game ,that was it for me and have never felt like going back.

    Never had the same dyed in the blood feel for the national team that I had for the Dees at any time tbh...

    The Tartan Army remind me of Harley Davidson riders ,middle aged plenty of disposable income and clueless when it comes to the very subject they claim to love ,they love to be be seen in all the kilt ,glengarry gear and timberland boots but a total minter for me...everyone to their own eh.....
    I used to like listening to the midweek internationals on the radio on the tv if you Ken what I mean.

    Was it NBR tv or something?

    Also the commentator used to change half way through the half.....faf.....22.5 mins of hard graft your bound to need a rest.

    I touched a wee bit on the wealth thing?
    A pal o mine reckons Scotland's away support is made up of middle managers, accountants and trainee lawyers.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudskipper View Post
    As a young laddie in the early 70's I remember getting round the telly for the home internationals when the old man invited everybody to our house ,there was a real buzz watching Scotland games then and genuinely world class players...well a couple...

    Last game for me was against England at Hampden in 89 I think Steve Bull scored that day and there was loads of trouble before and after the game ,that was it for me and have never felt like going back.

    Never had the same dyed in the blood feel for the national team that I had for the Dees at any time tbh...

    The Tartan Army remind me of Harley Davidson riders ,middle aged plenty of disposable income and clueless when it comes to the very subject they claim to love ,they love to be be seen in all the kilt ,glengarry gear and timberland boots but a total minter for me...everyone to their own eh.....
    I have to agree with most of that, haven't been to a Scotland game for many years.
    I was lucky that I saw decent Scotland teams, with big crowds and great atmosphere.
    Only time I get to Hampden now is with Dundee and that's not often !

  15. #15
    I used to go to Scotland matches, the game itself seemed to spoil a good trip, but when this self proclaimed, "best fans in the world" and tartan army Shyte started I knew it was time to give it a miss,

  16. #16
    Checked they attendance figures.

    Scotland v Sweden wc qualifier 1981 biggest attendance I've been in.

    Tic v dabs sc final 74 2nd biggest.

    Scotland v England Mark McGhee goal 3rd.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Checked they attendance figures.

    Scotland v Sweden wc qualifier 1981 biggest attendance I've been in.

    Tic v dabs sc final 74 2nd biggest.

    Scotland v England Mark McGhee goal 3rd.
    I was at a league cup quarter final replay between Rangers and Dundee at I brox. It was about 1962, on a Wednesday night and I'm sure the crowd was 84,000.
    Also the Dundee v Rangers scottish cup final in 1964, the crowd was 120,000
    I

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I was at a league cup quarter final replay between Rangers and Dundee at I brox. It was about 1962, on a Wednesday night and I'm sure the crowd was 84,000.
    Also the Dundee v Rangers scottish cup final in 1964, the crowd was 120,000
    I
    i was at that gam e too. Thing that spoilt it for me was when Kenny Cameron scored the Dee fans were jumping about and getting right behind the team. Glasgow's finest walked up the corridors in the terracing and threatened to lift anyone who was getting too excited. They shut down our support and the moment was lost.

    Different era, police were not to be trifled with. Still think it's that way. Every team's support is "managed" apart from Celtic's and Ranger's.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I used to work with a women who went everywhere to see Scotland and she didn't know the most basic things about the Scottish game but could tell you how many travellers cheques to take to Azerbaijan, what tablets shuggie takes for his diabetes and what tartan Dougal wears on a Wednesday.

    It's like a social event.......the jolly rather than the game or club.

    She also called herself "the mum of the bus" which made my skin crawl if em being honest.

    Ask her where hibs, raith or Ayr play though and it would be blankety blank.
    Ahh, No only you are Anti OAPS and Anti Disabled you are also a male chauvinist pig tae. Why am I no surprised

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by billymorgan View Post
    Ahh, No only you are Anti OAPS and Anti Disabled you are also a male chauvinist pig tae. Why am I no surprised
    Don't like feminist Nazis no that's not chauvinistic though that's just common sense.

    Heard the bird ( enjoyed that) on radio Scotland today constantly refer to the Scotland team as the Scottish male team......no dear it's the Scotland team.

    Anti oap.....nah em all for oap equality it's some oaps that ain't.

    Same for disabled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •