+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotland fans

Scotland fans

Em no having a go.....well I am a wee bit but not in a bad way.

Why are they so completely different from any club side in this country.

Average age must be about 55.

Is it cost? Or what's the attraction for wilder guys and a helluva lot of women?

Some of the international supports these days are pretty fanatical but ours looks like a team building weekend for civil servants.

That should read older guys.

Looks like an audition for coach trip

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Em no having a go.....well I am a wee bit but not in a bad way.

Why are they so completely different from any club side in this country.

Average age must be about 55.

Is it cost? Or what's the attraction for wilder guys and a helluva lot of women?

Some of the international supports these days are pretty fanatical but ours looks like a team building weekend for civil servants.

Nothing wrang wi Scotland fans,thon TA though phucking belters, better than normal fans ya ken

Quote Originally Posted by _JohnGotti_ View Post
    Nothing wrang wi Scotland fans,thon TA though phucking belters, better than normal fans ya ken
    I don't want them to lose but it would be a bit of a stretch to call myself a fan.

I watch more in curiosity. I'd be more devastated Dee dropping 2 points at home to Motherwell than Scotland not qualifying for a wc playoff.

No always been that way. Was at the back of the Dundee end at Hampden when the wee fat ******* Mark McGhee scored against England which was an incredible experience (can't remember what year) yet by 1993 I was in Portugal to watch a 5-0 humping and looked around at our support and just thought nah no for me.

What happened in those 5 or 6 years?

I wonder how many of the tartan army are regulars at club football. I would think a minority.

I used to go to all the Scotland games, home and away, ump**** times we drove through Europe to games.
    My mate worked for he press, and for the games at Hampden, (134000) , we went to the sundaypost offices in dundas street Glasgow.
    Doug baillie lwould give us the tickets, if there was 8 of us , we would probably get 5 tickets, but we wouldlways get in.
    I'm not giving away any secrets how it was done !
    We always parked right outside Hampden, and and if there was any road closures, my mate just waved his press pass and we were through.
    Apart from one, we were all dees,.
    How things have changed, wouldn't go across the road to watch Scotland now , although I went to the tonight to watch the game.
    Can't say anyone in the pub seemed surprised by the outcome.
    Personally I think British teams, club or national are too sporting and too honest.

I don't do Scotland and haven't since the Berti Vogts days; he put me off international football and I've never got it since then. I do tend to watch the bigger games on TV - I watched the game yesterday but that's the only one I watched from the entire 'qualifying campaign'.

To back up something that RRoS says above a girl I used to work with goes to every Scotland game with her husband but neither of them go to any league games - different strokes I suppose but for me I don't understand how anyone can feel even close to the passion for Scotland that they do for their club, without the passion football might as well be hockey.

Tartan Army with their kilts, stupid hats, bagpipes and faux friendliness toward everyone gets my goat too.

Edit - having watched yesterday's game and wondering who half these players were and how they were ever selected for Scotland I realise that you don't have to be the best available in your position to get a game for Scotland. Does anyone know the actual criteria for selection?
    Last edited by Deeranged; 09-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    I used to go to all the Scotland games, home and away, ump**** times we drove through Europe to games.
    My mate worked for he press, and for the games at Hampden, (134000) , we went to the sundaypost offices in dundas street Glasgow.
    Doug baillie lwould give us the tickets, if there was 8 of us , we would probably get 5 tickets, but we wouldlways get in.
    I'm not giving away any secrets how it was done !
    We always parked right outside Hampden, and and if there was any road closures, my mate just waved his press pass and we were through.
    Apart from one, we were all dees,.
    How things have changed, wouldn't go across the road to watch Scotland now , although I went to the tonight to watch the game.
    Can't say anyone in the pub seemed surprised by the outcome.
    Personally I think British teams, club or national are too sporting and too honest.
    I think it was either 85000 or 86000 at the game I was on about can't really imagine another 50k inside the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I don't do Scotland and haven't since the Berti Vogts days; he put me off international football and I've never got it since then. I do tend to watch the bigger games on TV - I watched the game yesterday but that's the only one I watched from the entire 'qualifying campaign'.

To back up something that RRoS says above a girl I used to work with goes to every Scotland game with her husband but neither of them go to any league games - different strokes I suppose but for me I don't understand how anyone can feel even close to the passion for Scotland that they do for their club, without the passion football might as well be hockey.

Tartan Army with their kilts, stupid hats, bagpipes and faux friendliness toward everyone gets my goat too.

Edit - having watched yesterday's game and wondering who half these players were and how they were ever selected for Scotland I realise that you don't have to be the best available in your position to get a game for Scotland. Does anyone know the actual criteria for selection?
    I used to work with a women who went everywhere to see Scotland and she didn't know the most basic things about the Scottish game but could tell you how many travellers cheques to take to Azerbaijan, what tablets shuggie takes for his diabetes and what tartan Dougal wears on a Wednesday.

It's like a social event.......the jolly rather than the game or club.

She also called herself "the mum of the bus" which made my skin crawl if em being honest.

Ask her where hibs, raith or Ayr play though and it would be blankety blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I think it was either 85000 or 86000 at the game I was on about can't really imagine another 50k inside the ground.
    The best games were the 134,000 ones. Everybody had a carry oot !
    You were miles from the bogs , so everybody pissed into their empty cans !
    Only problem was when Scotland scored, the cans went up in the air, so you got drenched in piss and lager !
    Same going out, rivers of piss and mud, and we looked forward to the next game !
    15/20 minutes after the game we were having a pint in the Byers road and reading a full match report in the daily record.
    Now the match experience is dull.
    Sit doon,put that flag away, no swearing, careful what your singing, no smoking, get aff that seat etc.
    And I still go to dens, brainwashed since birth.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)