+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldham (away)predictions

So apparently another lacklustre performance
    One fan on social media touched on a point about losing momentum from the international break
    Didn't we lose to Wimbledon after the break now Oldham with a squad like ours we shouldn't be worrying about 2 players especially one who has underperformed largely so far.

4th defeat already so on course for a mid-table finish with what weve been served up so far. Not good enough.

Of course,some people will say our expectations are unrealistic. How exactly with the highest wages,most expensive squad and best facilities in this League?

This is Division 3 after all apparently we were incapable of stringing passes together against Oldham. Must have been all the quality they have over the field. Talk about dumbing down!And all this criticism of the supporters at home matches,maybe we are supposed to want our team to lose????

On a positive note,and in spite of lack of effort I dont see us being relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post
    4th defeat already so on course for a mid-table finish with what weve been served up so far. Not good enough.

Of course,some people will say our expectations are unrealistic. How exactly with the highest wages,most expensive squad and best facilities in this League?

This is Division 3 after all apparently we were incapable of stringing passes together against Oldham. Must have been all the quality they have over the field. Talk about dumbing down!And all this criticism of the supporters at home matches,maybe we are supposed to want our team to lose????

On a positive note,and in spite of lack of effort I dont see us being relegated.
    Bob - I agree high expectations are fair enough, but it is also true that there seems to be an over-reaction when we lose. We have had a few decent performances, which have not always been acknowledged. And it seems (on the Telegraph site, for example) that some fans are determined to find fault with Mowbray, whatever he does. You see some saying he has tinkered too much, while other are constantly picking the team he should be putting out. Again, we see some saying his teams are not attack-minded, while others complain about the frailty of the defence (not borne out by the figures, incidentally).
    The fact is, he probably got the Division wrong with his formation in the first two games. He quickly realised, though, that a less "fancy", less ambitious pattern was necessary in L.1, so he has fielded a more cautious line-up since. The latter also arose from the need to protect the defence because of injuries.
    People are already calling for his head, but what we are really suffering from is the thing that has plagued us for the last five years: INCONSISTENCY! And I am never sure how that can be primarily down to the manager. After all, if the same player shows different form from one game to another, it is surely not down to managerial decisions.
    Managers carry the can and fans have every right to criticise, but it does seem strange to me that every problem is put down to the manager, rather than the players, and other factors, such as the way the other teams are set up to play.
    I mean, is it really down to Mowbray that Antonsson and Samuel looked excellent against Rotherham, but totally duff against Oldham?
    Results so far HAVE been disappointing, but I really can't see that we should already be talking about dumping TM. The revolving-door policy has hardly worked brilliantly for us in the Venky's era so far.
    Like all supporters, I like to think I could select the best team, but I don't see them in training every day. TM is clearly frustrated by our up-and-down form, and I admire him for his honesty. I don't think he's a brilliant manager, but what do we expect? We're in the Third Division. Guardiola is not hammering on the gates of Ewood to get in!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcrompton1896 View Post

Bob you are the exact kind of prat I refer to. A complete numpty. You wouldn't have gone on Sat, so I have no idea why you always rear up when Rovers lose. You never appear when we win.
    If we win the two games in hand we are 3rd. And you spouting your usual utter tripe about relegation.
    I've been to the majority of games this season home and away and I will happy to to talk to the fans about where we are going wrong. We deserved nothing on Sat.
    The young lad who ran the game was Byrne (who we had last season and never played) he was excellent, and that's what we lack. Creative in midfield. But I'm sure Bob and his 60 years and watching football but not understanding football would have identified the reason we lost, and why its not working 100%. But we win our 2 games in hand (both winnable) and we go 3rd. Bob wouldn't see this though.
    Teams lose football matches sometimes. Palace who haven't got a point or scored a goal beat the league champions on Sat for instance.

My main concern thus far, the remit for how Mowbray went and scourced players - his criteria - is slightly flawed. The key players - Mulgrew, Graham, Whittingham, Conway, Bennett and Evans all have NO EXPERIENCE in this level of football. They lack the physicality it takes. The games we have lost, have been down to not being strong enough. And not winning the physcial battle. At times we still think we can turn up and our class will be enough. It simply isn't, as Oldham showed on Sat. Anyone who is into football knows Oldham are decent at this level. They have players who know exactly how to get results. They just had a bad start. If you see football in numbers (like Bob) then you think we will just turn up on Sat, not play well and expect to win, you are the one of the idiots who booed at the final whistle. Or came to the Gillingham game and started moaning after 30 seconds.

the main issues are - we are simply not being coached well. I don't know what input Venus is having? Or Lowe? Mowbray is regretting the type of player he recruited, as he is realising the lack of experienced league 1 players is causing problems. Mowbray IS doing a ***** job running the club. I would move him upstairs now to Director of football, as he is dealing with everything, and it maybe all too much. And move in a young hungry coach/manager to get with the players. On the training pitch.
    We haven't been that bad, equally we haven't played well at any point this season. But we are still very much in this. A few minor tweaks and we will likely keep in the auto promotion hunt.
    If they keep turning up like on Sat and not battle, then we will fall away.
    Be an arrogant prick, say things for the sake of saying them in order to try make yourself look clever and be a prat like Bob, I think its best to stay away. Go shopping with the wife or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Bob - I agree high expectations are fair enough, but it is also true that there seems to be an over-reaction when we lose. We have had a few decent performances, which have not always been acknowledged. And it seems (on the Telegraph site, for example) that some fans are determined to find fault with Mowbray, whatever he does. You see some saying he has tinkered too much, while other are constantly picking the team he should be putting out. Again, we see some saying his teams are not attack-minded, while others complain about the frailty of the defence (not borne out by the figures, incidentally).
    The fact is, he probably got the Division wrong with his formation in the first two games. He quickly realised, though, that a less "fancy", less ambitious pattern was necessary in L.1, so he has fielded a more cautious line-up since. The latter also arose from the need to protect the defence because of injuries.
    People are already calling for his head, but what we are really suffering from is the thing that has plagued us for the last five years: INCONSISTENCY! And I am never sure how that can be primarily down to the manager. After all, if the same player shows different form from one game to another, it is surely not down to managerial decisions.
    Managers carry the can and fans have every right to criticise, but it does seem strange to me that every problem is put down to the manager, rather than the players, and other factors, such as the way the other teams are set up to play.
    I mean, is it really down to Mowbray that Antonsson and Samuel looked excellent against Rotherham, but totally duff against Oldham?
    Results so far HAVE been disappointing, but I really can't see that we should already be talking about dumping TM. The revolving-door policy has hardly worked brilliantly for us in the Venky's era so far.
    Like all supporters, I like to think I could select the best team, but I don't see them in training every day. TM is clearly frustrated by our up-and-down form, and I admire him for his honesty. I don't think he's a brilliant manager, but what do we expect? We're in the Third Division. Guardiola is not hammering on the gates of Ewood to get in!

Good post. Overreaction everytime we lose is a valid point. Christ, Bob cant get on here quick enough. No suggestion of how to put things right. No suggestion of why things have gone wrong. Completely ignoring the things when they win, just eager to get on here when things go wrong. No insight, no forsight no balance, no thought.
    We play in the same division as Oldham. Bob is still stuck in 1993 sadly and that got boring years ago. We are where we are, if you hate the club, and just want to moan, sorry but its pathetic. Stay away. Most of us at Oldham just saw a poor performance. We still clapped them off, we all know where things are not going right. But most are realistic. Without really getting into our stride we are going to be around the play offs at this point in the season (apart from Bob who has us down for relegation) A few Bobs turned up and booed at the final whistle. Don't worry, the VAST majorty of us told them to shut up.

2 winnable home games now, this worries me slightly. 4 points from these two games takes us to the big one in a few weeks. Wigan away. And by then, we still wont be in Nov. So much football left to play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)