+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Argument

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Morning Sinkov, well, I think that we actually agree on loads of stuff - the Clarets for one so I am keeping a watchful eye out for the horsemen.

You say that the point is that many people are employed on the Trident project. I am saying use the £41 billion (plus running costs) and employ them in doing something worthwhile with it. And it's not as though there is a shortage of stuff to do, is it?
    59-60
    For accuracy our current Vanguard fleet will operate to 2030 and the £41bn for the replacement Dreadnought ships is not a lump sum but is spread out over 35 years , so that’s £1.2 bn a year we save by scrapping it.

The MoD put the cost of building, testing and commissioning the replacement vessels at £31 billion (plus a contingency fund of £10 billion) over 35 years, or about 0.2 per cent of government spending, or 6 per cent of defence spending, every year. The Dreadnought class will extend the life of the Trident programme until at least the 2060.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7025956.html

Sorry OC, but it's MUCH more expensive than that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7025956.html

Sorry OC, but it's MUCH more expensive than that.
    The Independent, a leftie rag, 'campaigners say', CND, Caroline Lucas, etc, etc, not too fussed about the objectivity of those from whom you get your figures are you 59-60. Now I understand why you say the BBC doesn't have a leftie bias, when even many of those who work for it, or used to work for it, including an ex DG, openly admit it does.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Sorry BT, could you just run that one past me again, the one about Barrow's shipyards building deep sea windfarms.
    Honestly being surrounded by bloody eejits is not at all easy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...wind-farm.html

Get the good folk of Cumbria and Scotland started on building this lot!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...wind-farm.html

On the one hand this is so far into the future that any suggestion that this could alleviate unemployment in Cumbria, in the event of Trident being scrapped is.....shall we just say, not sensible.

On the other hand it does illustrate, I was going to say the lunacy, but in deference to 59-60 I'll say the folly, of our current environmental/renewables policy. Deliberately inflating the cost of energy, making our industry uncompetitive in world markets, putting thousands out of work and into fuel poverty, while India and China sign up to Paris with a smirk and get on with building hundreds of new coal-fired power stations.

And all the while the answer could be under the sea, we could use shale gas in the meantime to provide us with cheap energy, while this new technology is developed. But of course that's far too sensible for the green fanatics to even contemplate.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    On the one hand this is so far into the future that any suggestion that this could alleviate unemployment in Cumbria, in the event of Trident being scrapped is.....shall we just say, not sensible.

On the other hand it does illustrate, I was going to say the lunacy, but in deference to 59-60 I'll say the folly, of our current environmental/renewables policy. Deliberately inflating the cost of energy, making our industry uncompetitive in world markets, putting thousands out of work and into fuel poverty, while India and China sign up to Paris with a smirk and get on with building hundreds of new coal-fired power stations.

And all the while the answer could be under the sea, we could use shale gas in the meantime to provide us with cheap energy, while this new technology is developed. But of course that's far too sensible for the green fanatics to even contemplate.
    Our whole energy policy both in the short and long term has been and continues to be a bloody shambles and it is all down to successive governments falling for the MNC's financial shenanigans.

Arabs, oligarchs, Scottish oil barons like OC have just screwed the UK commercial and domestic customer into the ground and our amoebae like politicians have simply taken the backhanders and let them get on with it.

...and Blair was and is one of the worst! Trump and Bush are up to their necks in oil corruption too! It's like FIFA for oil and the UK customer has ultimately been screwed into the ground!

Attachment 6790

The point being, that Trident will cost us between £170-£200 billion over it's lifetime.

I can't find an article in the Telegraph or Mail for you!

The point being, that Trident will cost us between £170-£200 billion over it's lifetime.

You won't 1959-60.

No need 59-60, I'm happy enough with the MOD figures. And even if we accept the left's creative accounting, it still pales into insignificance compared to the amount we'll be giving away to tin pot dictatorships in foreign aid over the same period. FFS, we even give money to North Korea. Why does that word 'lunacy' keep springing to mind ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)