+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perez

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    No. He works hard and shows flashes of quality but isn't a Number 10. He'd be more use (not just in terms of following Rafa's plan to close off spaces, work the defenders when they've got the ball. etc) if he learned to release the ball a bit more often and not get crowded out. Needs to be a much better finisher too.
    Perez will get better as time goes by and he gets to fit into Rafa's planned system. Then we'll see the best of him.

The day heīs injured and not in the team is the day when a lot of peopleīll say we played sh*te and not realise why. Rafaīs tactics are, in the main, defensive and the no 10 is as much a defender as an attacker - Ritchie and Atsu are supposed to get as many goals as Perez in the system he plays.
    Iīm not saying heīs a world beater but heīs certainly a team player and sacrificing personal glory for the team effort.

We don't play 7 games and end up in 9th place by playing with 10 men for all of them.

Basically Perez has a lot more to offer the team but the way it's set up asks more from him in other areas of the game, like hard work and running to compliment the odd occasions when he gets the opportunity to get the attacking chances to create or actually score.

His major stand out issue as far as fans view is that he's annoying when in possession and on a run, because 9 times out of 10 he gets dispossessed by trying to take it that little bit further when a pass/lay off would benefit.

I think main thing is we've always seen him as a scorer.

Now Rafa is asking him to play as a defensive number 10, which means he isn't going to score.

I think Toptoon may be bang on - the day he doesn't play we'll suddenly all see what he actually does. He is young enough and has the right attitude to fit into how Rafa wants the team to play and why he gets picked even though mout of us don't understand why.

Sorry, but I don't buy it. Rafa may be a defensive tactician. And I don't mind that at all. Perez puts in a good rate of work, sure.

But we have to look at what actually happens in the matches. I'm not talking tactics when I'm saying that Perez actually can't pass the ball to a team mate many times, gets himself in the wrong positions, gets shots away that are woeful (way off target from unrealistic positions), and generally makes a lot of mistakes during the game. Of course a no 10 is supposed to add to the attacking game, even if the tactics are defense minded. He's just not good enough for that position. I think he's much better as a proper striker with someone decent behind him who can set up chances.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Sorry, but I don't buy it. Rafa may be a defensive tactician. And I don't mind that at all. Perez puts in a good rate of work, sure.

But we have to look at what actually happens in the matches. I'm not talking tactics when I'm saying that Perez actually can't pass the ball to a team mate many times, gets himself in the wrong positions, gets shots away that are woeful (way off target from unrealistic positions), and generally makes a lot of mistakes during the game. Of course a no 10 is supposed to add to the attacking game, even if the tactics are defense minded. He's just not good enough for that position. I think he's much better as a proper striker with someone decent behind him who can set up chances.
    Which is why were still looking for a number 10.

Perez just happens to be the best we've got that follows Rafa's plan to the letter at the minute.

I don't think he'd be there if we had a proper number 10.

He fills a shirt and that is it

we do play with 10 men with him on the pitch

he offers very little other than

cant think of anything he brings to the team

that anyone else couldnt

and that is his problem if he was injured and someone else replaced him you wouldnt know the differance
    and for a first choice player that is a problem

you need a player to be that good when he is out you go oh pheck who have we got to replace him

with perez you just go oh well we have loads

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    He fills a shirt and that is it

we do play with 10 men with him on the pitch

he offers very little other than

cant think of anything he brings to the team

that anyone else couldnt

and that is his problem if he was injured and someone else replaced him you wouldnt know the differance
    and for a first choice player that is a problem

you need a player to be that good when he is out you go oh pheck who have we got to replace him

with perez you just go oh well we have loads
    Thatīs not true though, is it? Hasnīt he started every league game this season at No 10?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)