+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T NH Tips

The road behind the pub was, originally, the main road from Bawtry to Gainsbrough and then to Cadwell, Market Rasen and Skeggy etc.
    This position, together with my uncle's "flexible" opening hours made it a great stopping off point. There were always coachloads, bikers etc. at the pub on weekends. The building of a dual carriageway, from Bawtry to Gainsbrough, took the "mucky duck" off the major route and put an end to that.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I think that's where Dad was trying to get as he mentioned he'd been fishing there. It was our first car and it took him 4 attempts to pass his test. When he finally did, as a 'treat' he said he'd take us on a run out. It was a gloomy day and I remember turning off the beaten track around Gringley On The Hill (or something like that). Drizzle began to come down and it started to get foggy as we seemed to be driving on into the middle of nowhere. Became really spooky when we came across who I think were a group of n'er do wells out on a Sunday run from a nearby borstal. Mum and my sister started to panic and Dad finally gave up and turned back to retrace our route back to the main road. Seemed like a lifetime of being 'lost in the fog' but probably only lasted 10-20 minutes.
    As Monty says Gringley is just up the road from Drakeholes and Misterton a bit further on. My cousins went to primary school in Gringley and secondary school in Misterton. I'd forgotten about the borstal. My uncle used to be notified to keep a look out when any of the lads had done a runner.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    You're right Cayton. I took my dad there a while back to see the place he had so many happy memories of. He nearly cried when he saw the state of it.

Such a lovely building in a beautiful spot - picture of the pub in better days
    It's been recently auctioned off. Guide price of £350k. Not sure how much it made though.

9 bedroom

Gwru's tips might be crap but at least this one lead to some nice reminiscing

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Gwru's tips might be crap but at least this one lead to some nice reminiscing
    Sticking with the reminiscing but coming full circle back to racing.

The pub's stables were used for racehorses for a while. The trainer, Leo McMorrow, was an ex-jockey who actually won the National in 1949 on Russian Hero. The 66-1 outsider won by 8 lengths. McMorrow used to get ribbed a lot about it - the story being that it was so foggy that he only went round once and nobody noticed. As I recall (I was only a nipper) he lapped it up. I seem to remember he liked his whiskey (a lot)

Some tips like that would be handy.

There was a proper stables just up the road at Wiseton. I believe that it's now been converted to apartments. Lads from the stables were always in the pub and my dad had a few useful tips from them.

I broke even. Tipped up a 2-1 winner out of 2 tips. None of the tips were mine, just looked at the ratings + tipster I follow he tipped all the 3. There will be my own tips when I get the form in my head.

Reminiscing: me would be the Thurcroft hotel. 1st went in with my Dad. He was into horseracing, got me into it. For 25 years there tap room if he you liked horseracing you would have loved it. Racing trips with some great characters, quite a few no longer with us. Halcyon days.

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Sticking with the reminiscing but coming full circle back to racing.

The pub's stables were used for racehorses for a while. The trainer, Leo McMorrow, was an ex-jockey who actually won the National in 1949 on Russian Hero. The 66-1 outsider won by 8 lengths. McMorrow used to get ribbed a lot about it - the story being that it was so foggy that he only went round once and nobody noticed. As I recall (I was only a nipper) he lapped it up. I seem to remember he liked his whiskey (a lot)

Some tips like that would be handy.

There was a proper stables just up the road at Wiseton. I believe that it's now been converted to apartments. Lads from the stables were always in the pub and my dad had a few useful tips from them.
    I used to drive through those lovely grounds at wiseton to fish the canal...mainly though, I fished the idle in mattersey and higher up on our works stretch at blaco hill Farm..the idle was all natural in those days and stuffed with fish..sadly thats not the case now,theres still fish there but not nearly as many, and the river is half its width and weed choked..man ruins everything..wonder if the barley mow is still open. Used to be a lovely pint of beer in there...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345