+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oaks Disaster

Oaks Disaster

Last night I attended an event organised by the Barnsley Main Heritage Group at Oaks WMC. They showed the 30 minute film Black Snow which documents the Oaks Disaster. It is excellent and is up for some awards. There was music by Alan Wood and pie and peas. A cracking evening.
    Next Thursday, 16th November the film is being shown again at the NUM hall on Victoria Road at 7pm, followed by music by Jed Grimes and Alan Wood. It is FREE. If you have not seen the film it is worth it

I think there was another bloke from Winchester there as well

Ha ha. I post on the BBS as Winchester Tyke as I couldn't be bothered to change my name when I moved back up 3 years ago.
    Forgot to say that there is a DVD available, and also an excellent book by Paul Darlow

Noz, my family & I went to the National Mining Museum to the memorial of this with the "glass checks" wall - it was very very moving!

We’ve talked about this before, it’s a disaster to top all disasters I think. The number of dead and the effect on the community deserves more recognition than it gets. I’ll look for the film/dvd. My great grandfather used to baptise men down the mine, and I came across the Oaks disaster by accident, trying to find details of him on the internet. 361 people, miners and rescuers..... doesn’t bear thinking about. A community decimated.
    361!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    We’ve talked about this before, it’s a disaster to top all disasters I think. The number of dead and the effect on the community deserves more recognition than it gets. I’ll look for the film/dvd. My great grandfather used to baptise men down the mine, and I came across the Oaks disaster by accident, trying to find details of him on the internet. 361 people, miners and rescuers..... doesn’t bear thinking about. A community decimated.
    361!
    I'm going to tell this summat Jules because the NUM is very often criticised on here by certain people but if it wasn't for them challenging pit managenent and the NCB we would have seen far more deaths in mining .

They and they only had the men's safety at the top of the agenda and they had to fight bloody hard to get it .

The NUM was one of the finest unions ever, bless us all.