+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Happy Birthday Sir Bobby

Happy Birthday Sir Bobby

I was an impressionable 10 year old when Bobby came to prominence. In my mind he's one of the top 3

English/British players that I have seen. In the good old/dark days before t'internet and mobile phones, he

was one of the best known names across the world. Only ever cautioned twice in a long career (and one of those was

against the Bargie Argies in '66). A great footballer from the golden age of leather balls (footy ones!), leather boots

and park-like pitches. And a real gentleman to boot.

Agreed, the modern game is crying out for another character like Sir Bobby.

Puts our so called modern day stars to shame.

Happy Birthday to a true world class legend.

Yep legend is banded around for nobody’s nowadays.

However Sir Bobby true class gentleman and Legend.

I was listening to an interview he gave about his days as a player. He mentioned how much of an honour it was to be picked for England and how the players would sweat blood to stay in the team and to represent their country. I thought “ it’s not like that now Bobby” sadly.

Great player who was always likely to put the ball in the back of the net from anywhere around 30 yards out.
    He certainly wouldn't have liked playing in the current England team because the main requirement seems to be an ability to pass the ball 40 yards backwards when anybody comes near you and Bobby couldn't have done that.

I met him when I was a pupil at Brinsworth Junior School. We went on a school trip to Manchester ship canal and airport. It just happened to coincide with the Manchester United team getting off their plane after returning from a European Cup tie. Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles came over to meet us and gave us all a Manchester United badge each. Contrary to what is often the popular view of him , he wasn't at all grumpy and seemed like a nice friendly bloke. He was recognised all around the world as a great player too!
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I was listening to an interview he gave about his days as a player. He mentioned how much of an honour it was to be picked for England and how the players would sweat blood to stay in the team and to represent their country. I thought “ it’s not like that now Bobby” sadly.
    That's basically what I said on the "Wales thread.

There's just no passion or pride anymore.

Lads at 28-30 retiring from international football.

It's disgusting!!!!

I remember Sir Bobby smashing a 30 yarder into the top corner of the goal at the Railway End. I think it was Womble's testimonial. What an honour it was to witness that.