+ Visit England Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The English language...

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    And you John..Are you still backing the gee gees mate?
    yes indeed Sir! eh eh...

Reading through threads like this allowing for my younger self and not humble enough to comment on the hell of war and the closest i got was the sea scouts.
    Both my grandfathers served in the army and my late father done national service in Aldershot barricks then 2 years in Germany .
    So respect to you heroes

Quote Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
    Reading through threads like this allowing for my younger self and not humble enough to comment on the hell of war and the closest i got was the sea scouts.
    Both my grandfathers served in the army and my late father done national service in Aldershot barricks then 2 years in Germany .
    So respect to you heroes
    My late dad served in the Navy from '38 until '53. His brother,who was in the Irish guards, is in a military cemetery near Arnhem..he didn't get to the bridge that was a little too far....On my mother's side, she had two brothers that were old enough to be called up and they served in the army as did two others of my uncles. It's curious but they all had the same thing in common and that is they never...or extremely rarely....ever talked about the war.
    It seems today that people who were not even born in that era speak more about the war than those that actually experienced it.

at ease now, wherever and whoever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchlion View Post
    My late dad served in the Navy from '38 until '53. His brother,who was in the Irish guards, is in a military cemetery near Arnhem..he didn't get to the bridge that was a little too far....On my mother's side, she had two brothers that were old enough to be called up and they served in the army as did two others of my uncles. It's curious but they all had the same thing in common and that is they never...or extremely rarely....ever talked about the war.
    It seems today that people who were not even born in that era speak more about the war than those that actually experienced it.
    Maybe it is a good thing that people from today's era speak about the wars.
    I have a bucket load of memories handed down to me,(Black and white) pictures (Cine film) Ect.
    I got our families ration books as well ( Well before i was born but i like to collect my family history stuff)
    People of the era today should be encouraged to speak about the wars.
    an to understand the sacrifice the heroes that our loved ones achieved for us.

I think that many of the brave forces that served in both World Wars witnessed things that we cannot begin to imagine. One of my uncles was a POW for several years but he never talked about it but you just knew he had suffered so much physical and mental pain.

Quote Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
    Maybe it is a good thing that people from today's era speak about the wars.
    I have a bucket load of memories handed down to me,(Black and white) pictures (Cine film) Ect.
    I got our families ration books as well ( Well before i was born but i like to collect my family history stuff)
    People of the era today should be encouraged to speak about the wars.
    an to understand the sacrifice the heroes that our loved ones achieved for us.
    Tricky, the gulf in class, manners and respect is huge from the times of your parents/grandparents to the general little tramps of today.

Here's a little story.

My not long deceased grandad fought in WW2, he served mainly in North Africa and he loved to keep in touch with his old crew via an old radio system that he kept in his back garden shed.
    As I remember, this piece of kit was his pride and joy, an ancient LW prehistoric system but it worked.
    He used to spend an hour or so whenever he could catching up with his old army mates because they had, as he often told me, an "unbreakable bond".
    I didn't quite get that at an early age but grew to respect it as I reached my ****age years.

I found out a few years later (my visits to my grandparents diminished as I went through my difficult angst ridden later ****age years ) that some group of trampy little b@stards had broken into his shed and stolen his only source of communication with his friends and comrades from the 40's.

Looking back, maybe he should have been wiser regarding the security of his radio but hey, what a bunch of lowlife cnuts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12