+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a mess

What a mess

Sinking like a ship and with Notts County next up followed by Accrington on current form that will be another six points down the pan this time next week we could be in the bottom three. Where are the points coming from? Has Dave lost the dressing ?

I feel that you have to show more patience Preston. This super new tactic of virtually playing without a midfield is going to take time to develop.

I am totally amazed that our management cannot see the glaring problem. There is an old saying in football which is so true, lose the middle of the pitch and you lose the game. Obviosly our management has never heard of it.

Don`t know about having lost the dressing room, but it certainly looks like they have lost the plot.

Love to hear from somebody who went the game today

I went (bloody long way – and, as always, a long drive back after a loss).
    My personal thoughts (and I haven’t read Peter Morse’s or Artell’s) are that we should have won, apart from an inability to score and a dodgy defence. That sounds trite and a truism, but to explain: 1. I believe we have the right strikers to cause problems with opposition defences, but over the last few games, an inability to shoot effectively and on target; and 2. The defence, yet again, seems to be looking to see what others are doing rather than instinctively working together.
    I was impressed with Connor Grant, especially in the first half, in midfield. Several Alex players had an off day, but we were not bad (this was no abject v. Carlisle) and it was a balanced game.
    Yeovil had a shaky defence when we attacked, but an exceptional front line in terms of skill and movement. Why they had to resort to a constant succession of cynical and blatant dives and fouls is beyond me.
    Final point: When will Dave Artell – and he has many fine attributes – stop arguing pointlessly with the 4th official. He was lucky not to be sent to the stands.
    They’re all tough games – always have been – and we just have to perform to known and proven abilities. Very disappointed in the attendance: what the hell else is there to do in Yeovil on a Saturday afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Preston76 View Post
    Love to hear from somebody who went the game today

Well, we made a decent start with 2 very slick passing moves in the first 5 minutes - and I thought "this is encouraging!"
    One resulted in Porter just beating the keeper to the ball only to toe-poke onto the outside of the post.
    Then Yeovil seemed to come into it but it wasn't until the quarter hour when they had their first meaningful chance - but they only went and bloody scored from it. Their no.9 reaching the ball first to volley it into the corner!

For me the rest of the first half felt like we had the lion's share of possession and chances but their keeper stood firm, as he always seems to do against us.

Spoke to my brother at HT and said I couldn't believe we weren't level. He and his mates then said they couldn't believe we weren't winning with "your 14 and 16 running the show".

2nd half wasn't quite the same but we still had chances.
    10/15 mins in, their LB burst down the wing from a long way out and I remember thinking "someone clean him out, please", but he was allowed to continue and allowed to cross when it landed at the feet of their mini version of Akinfenwa - and his scuffed shot deflected off someone and looped in over Richards's head, not much he could have done about it.

We tried to press for a goal but left ourselves exposed and, but for Richards who was faced with 2 one on ones, the score would have been a lot worse.
    Nolan headed one against he bar and you knew then that it wasn't going to be our day.
    They weren't great - but neither were we - and based on effectiveness in the final third, it was probably a fair result!

Not many great performances apart from Richards who you couldn't really fault, I'm not sure Ainley was as good as my brother made out, and he was replaced in the 2nd half anyway but I do agree about Lowery. Best player on the pitch, always available, always seemed to use the ball well but needs support - and he didn't get it!

Not sure what Grant gives us and, on that evidence we badly need Jones back in there, and maybe one other.
    I always like a 3-5-2 formation so that we play to our strengths (i.e.; pass and move - when we have the right personnel), and try to out-number in midfield. But you need marauding FBs for that to work, and I'm not sure we have that.

So our miserable record against Yeovil continues.
    Even I will admit we are a loooooonnng way off play-off contention at the minute and maybe a mid-table finish would be regarded as success after all.
    Last edited by somersetcrewe; 15-10-2017 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLeicester View Post
    I was impressed with Connor Grant, especially in the first half, in midfield.

Interesting!

Thanks for the match reports and well done to everybody that went but on current form I don't see us getting anything from the next two games leaving us in a very poor position

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Interesting!
    Different pair of eyes, but I agree with your full and accurate report.
    I'll be sitting in my little red seat on Tuesday and Saturday. We can but live in hope ... that's what being an Alex fan is all about, even when we're winning.

Different pair of eyes .............

And ain't that often the case.
    The first thing of note I saw Lowery do was good.
    The first thing of note I saw Grant do wasn't - and perhaps that coloured my judgement.

Like you, I still think we have enough up front to hurt so I'm thinking it must be the engine room where we are weakest - and with Lowery impressing (me), maybe I naturally thought Grant didn't help.

One thing's for sure, George was very disappointing (after me bigging him up to the Yeovil fans), typified by his 2nd half free-kick, where his first effort went straight into the wall, and his 2nd on the rebound was recklessly (and aimlessly!) blazed over!

Final point: When will Dave Artell – and he has many fine attributes – stop arguing pointlessly with the 4th official. He was lucky not to be sent to the stands.
    And again last night. Fair enough be involved, passionate, animated etc, but any genuine grievances are ignored by the officials after 10-15 mins of constant moaning and gesticulating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast