+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding our feet ?

Finding our feet ?

Ok theres still a long way to go in what might be a tough season, we dont quite know yet which way this team is heading. But either way we should look forward to it, there really arent any teams who we should be scared of in this league and I keep telling myself that. Especially when we play one of these recently ex-Premship teams who have a bigger and better squad and millions to spend, like with Middlesbrough today and with Hull next week.

Looking back at the last few games and results, we should have hung on to beat QP.Rangers, and who knows we might have even snatched a 3-2 win today despite being outplayed for most of the game. Ok we're on 12 points and are just 2+ points ahead of the drop zone, but the signs are there and I definitely take that draw/point as a good one today.

Im still not convinced by Potts & Pearson for example, but Im glad to see McGeehan finally into the team and scoring on his home debut, he could definitely be the popular player we were waiting for (no pressure on you there Cam lol). I will still keep raising the question of what is our best formation, didnt we look more of a threat today when we took Potts off and Thiam partnered Bradshaw up front ?.

We did Acido. However, it did take the players time to adapt to the switch to 4-4-2 mate. Once they did roll their sleaves up we looked a real threat on the counter.

I'll say this though. That set of lads are a talented bunch and will learn to adapt mid game or half.

For now at least I'd stick with whichever formation from the start.

If your going 4-4-2 start with it then go 4-5-1. It's alot easier changing down than changing up.

Injuries have ruined our/Hecky's options a bit so far, and wouldnt we agree that Lindsay & McGeehan surely will improve the positions that they play in over the course of a season (nobody can be judged after a handfull of games of course).
    Im coming round to Fryers as well, he might be better than I first feared, and thats what I mean about panic-judging after 1 or 2 disappointing first performances. And surely we're getting rid of Yids in January, so I dont look at him as an option at the back anymore.
    We've got Isgrove to come back soon and Gardner again in the near future, so thats further options in MF for Hecky.
    Im still keeping my fingers crossed that we could be onto something here with Thiam, but strikers are an unusual lot and he (and Bradshaw & Ugbo) needs service, and surely that goes without saying.

On current form anyway, have any of us changed our minds about certain teams after 11-12 games ?.

Wolves are now top despite looking rubbish against us recently, and Sheff Ure are third now and the Nobbers are fifth!.
    Bolton beat the Fowls to get their first win, and apparently Brentford were very lucky to beat Millwall. But the Brentford & Reading & Birmingham wins all went against us. And remember after winning their first 4 games, Mick Mac and his lucky over rated Ipswich team have lost 5 out of the last 7, thats relegation form isnt it ?.
    Last edited by Acido; 14-10-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    On current form anyway, have any of us changed our minds about certain teams after 11-12 games ?.

Wolves are now top despite looking rubbish against us recently, and Sheff Ure are third now and the Nobbers are fifth!.
    Bolton beat the Fowls to get their first win, and apparently Brentford were very lucky to beat Millwall. But the Brentford & Reading & Birmingham wins all went against us. And remember after winning their first 4 games, Mick Mac and his lucky over rated Ipswich team have lost 5 out of the last 7, thats relegation form isnt it ?.
    If Wolves don't win the league comfortably I'll eat my hat .

Looked proper quality tonight against Villa , best performance I've seen from a championship team this season by a good distance .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    If Wolves don't win the league comfortably I'll eat my hat . Looked proper quality tonight against Villa , best performance I've seen from a championship team this season by a good distance .
    Actually yes they did Animal, and I dont mind saying that today as I dont have anything against Wolves or anything in favour of the Villingham!.
    Some of those results really went against us admittedly, who would have thought Burton would hold on at Brizzle, and Brum would beat Cardiff, and Reading would win at Leeds ?.

It says a lot that Hecky feels confident enough to switch to 4-4-2 rather than, as most teams would do, just shut up shop. It might not be the way I'd go, but he's the boss. I just hope that the lack of a couple of points doesn't come back to haunt us at the end of the season.

That said, yes the team are still finding their feet, but looking better each time I see them. Fingers crossed they'll continue to gel and improve individually and collectively and we'll get more points on the board. The jury is still out on one or two, but it's early days. On the plus side, they all put a shift in. Give me hard-working young uns over lazy journeymen any day of the week.

My only real concern is that the midfielders all look much of a much-ness, physically, talent-wise, and mentally. I'm waiting for one of them to step up and make a play for the midfield general role. Once that happens, I think the ship will be steadier.

Interesting times ahead I think...
    COYR!

I think Moncur/ Mallan should play with Mcgeehan and Williams instead of Potts.

I like Potts , but he should have been subbed in first half, he was struggling early on from a knee in his back, Williams been playing well recently, he had a Neetmare yesterday , not sure who was on the bench ? But Jared Bird should have been introduced much earlier, if rumours are correct ? You can see why some are Sniffing after Lindsey , good signing that lad and will certainly get better, good partnership with Jackson developing too ,
    Looking pretty good just now, a few more points needed though and quickly

I’d like to see us trying to get the ball down in defence and play out. Too much hoof out of defence for me..... and it’s coming straight back to us... too many times. Hoof out, Bradders jumps, back it comes,.... too many times. I don’t know the answer but we are getting pinned back too much... Any ideas?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast