+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesterdays goal

Yesterdays goal

It was the first time we played simple,fast attacking football.
    One pass and move;the return pass;a good deep ball accross the face of goal and the inevitable thumping header rippling the back of the net.
    I am in no way criticising our style of play,but the over egging the pudding gave a very poor Ipswich side all the time in the world to close down and pack the box.
    Sometimes less really is more.
    Great 3 points and we look forward to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    It was the first time we played simple,fast attacking football.
    One pass and move;the return pass;a good deep ball accross the face of goal and the inevitable thumping header rippling the back of the net.
    I am in no way criticising our style of play,but the over egging the pudding gave a very poor Ipswich side all the time in the world to close down and pack the box.
    Sometimes less really is more.
    Great 3 points and we look forward to the next one.
    What I would call good constructive criticism SBT and there's nowt wrong with that.

I think the implied criticism of yesterday’s performance is somewhat harsh, as I thought we had already created a lot of “situations” in which some very good crosses just didn’t quite reach the intended target or, when they did, with not quite the right timing. The difference with the goal was that Bash’s run from deep was timed to perfection. Yes, it was “simple” fast attacking football and a great cross, but it was not the first time in the game that we produced something similar. We were only an inch or two away from being 2 or 3 up at half time (or being 1 or 2 down for that matter). Such are the fine lines in professional football!

In AK and CW we trust. UTB!!!

I know what Sbt's saying Ronnie we were just a fraction off with a few situations but there were plenty of times good situations were squandered due to overplaying it,however if that's all we've got to moan about I'll take it (we're blades we've got to have somat to moan about) who could see us in this position 2yrs on from the Adkins debacle of a season

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    I know what Sbt's saying Ronnie we were just a fraction off with a few situations but there were plenty of times good situations were squandered due to overplaying it,however if that's all we've got to moan about I'll take it (we're blades we've got to have somat to moan about) who could see us in this position 2yrs on from the Adkins debacle of a season
    Yes, I know hat SBT is saying Bully, but I thought we played some excellent build ups before the goal, none of which resulted in their keeper having to make a save other than from his own defender, but with a bit of luck, we could have had 2 or 3.

As to your last point - we are only 17 months on from the Adkins debacle! That makes our present situation even more remarkable.

Finally, as a Blade with over 69 years watching them, I will retain my ingrained pessimism - but moan - NEVER!!!
    Last edited by RonnieWaldock; 15-10-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Ahh you guys would be better to keep your pessimistic powder dry, I’m sure I saw McCabe stick for sale tags on the back off Fleck’s, Duffy’s and Brooks’s shirts as they walked off. The old pretend pat on the back didn’t fool me.

As for the OP, I can see where SBT’s coming from but I also see Ronnie’s point. We played some wonderful stuff especially down our left side but the final ball just wasn’t there or it didn’t quite stick or if it did stick the player couldn’t dig the ball out. There were definitely opportunities to be had and it wasn’t like Ipswich were completely in control as the back (as we weren’t) and on another day the ball could have fallen better and we’d have scored 2 or 3. But there were also occasions where some players where guilty of trying to set it up on a plate for Clarke and Billy instead of having a go themselves and that one extra pass in the box was where it usually broke down.

Like Ronnie says it’s fine margins, if any one of those great moves had resulted in a goal we’d be replaying it over and over again and this thread probably wouldn’t exist, but the OP is a valid point. Even the best footballing teams in the world mix their play when they have to and keeping it simple can result in the oppo being totally unprepared as we saw with the goal and when Clarke hit the bar.

I read in the paper this morning that we won again yesterday. Who are we playing next?

The day you stop looking for ways to be better is the day your decline commences.
    I love the football we are playing,the formation,players,management and fans.
    Dosen't mean you shouldn't look at getting a bit better every day.
    Put diamonds on it Wilder does!

And it's Reading up next.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbeanstattoo View Post
    The day you stop looking for ways to be better is the day your decline commences.
    Well, it might just be me, but I don't think we've declined much in the last year. Reading eh? They used to be a bit of a bogey team for us. Be nice to get another three points.

Well I guess the reason we haven't declined is because Wilder is always demanding improvement.
    Quite why someone with your self proclaimed background,knowledge and expertise can't simply accept the point rather than look for what isn't there baffles me.
    Luckily our manager sees it and won't stop striving for more.
    In this instance less isn't more.
    Reading will be a tough game and another good test of our spirit and ability to adapt to how they line up and approach the game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast