+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: On this day 2001

On this day 2001

Despite Philliben and Krivocapic doing a solid job as temporary managers, the full time position was given to Eric Black following the departure of Billy Davies. It was Black’s first managerial position but he was a highly rated coach and the appointment was met with optimism from the Motherwell support. Terry Butcher was to be his assistant.

Name:  A.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  8.6 KB

GLF 42: Eric Black - First Impressions

Looking back, I always associate Eric Black's appointment as the descent into administration for us. I know it wasn't really and that started a long time before he came but that period from October 2001 to April 2002 was horrible for us, on and off the park, yet I don't think anyone outside the club knew just how much trouble we were actually in.

Terry Butcher is someone I have a great deal of respect for and look back on his time with a lot of fondness. He took on the job at a time when there was really no one else to take it and over the next few years gradually helped get the club back on its feet. Strange as this may seem looking back, but the 2002/03 season where we would have been relegated but for Falkirk not having a fit and proper stadium at the time, was one of my all time favourites following Motherwell. The young, raw squad were motivated and fired up by TB and we had some epic results (wins over both Celtic & Rangers, 6-1 v Hearts) and a fantastic Scottish Cup run.

Butcher had his faults, but he certainly gave us a lot to smile about during his time at the club.

Agree completely about 2002/3 - it's tinged for me because it's the last I could go every week without fail but the spirit between fans and the players was unmatched. Every game was a battle and even when we were terrible - which was, let's be honest, most weeks - there was none of the bitterness or acrimony you see so often now (not just us, fans in general). The early 3-0 at Rugby Park was a glorious day, as was Stranraer.

Butcher was precisely the right coach for us at that time. His subsequent record shows he's no kind of managerial genius, sometimes the fit just works.

There was a real 'togetherness' at the club at the time and the Stranraer Cup tie you mentioned encapsulated that perfectly. A great away day out with a big travelling support seeing us reach our first Semi Final since '91 and then on the road back up just about every Motherwell fan who was at the game stopping off in Girvan for fish & chips meaning the town was taken over by a sea of C&A. I remember the excitement as word quickly spread that the team bus was approaching and everyone running to the main road through the town to salute it as it passed through. Brilliant memories and that will live with me forever.

Butcher was definitely the right man at the right time. He was no tactical genius, indeed he was prone to some utterly baffling mistakes, but by God could he motivate the players and he had a strong bond with the support, something I've not seen before or since with a Motherwell manager. He came into the job at the right time and left at the right time and overall he did well for us.

Enjoyed your reminisce there lads; sparked memories for me too. Stranraer - boy, what a trip and a half! And, couldn't help but pull out a significant comment made about TB ...
    "by God could he motivate the players and he had a strong bond with the support, something I've not seen before or since with a Motherwell manager. He came into the job at the right time" - remind you of anyone presently?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)