+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Better the devil you know?

Better the devil you know?

I don´t think there´s anyone who wouldn´t like us to be taken over by a mega rich owner, from wherever, who shares our ambition for the club and who will heavily invest. The question is, are there any potential buyers around like that?

I´m not bowled over by talk of the Turkish guy - he is seriously rich but not so much so in 'planet football' terms. A 60 million spend is being talked about. My first question is - does that include the spend on wages or is that just for transfer payments? If it´s the former, then with the TV money coming I would expect Rafa to have that anyway under Ashley.

Time for calm heads because for every 'rich' owner who has bought a club and is adored by the fans, I can show you two who the fans hate and can´t wait to get rid of.

It´s been said many times: ´be careful what you wish for´but, to be honest, there´s little we can do to influence any changes in ownership. I just hope that any new owner has done their home work on NUFC, meaning that they can see what it takes to be successful - not just spending money, by the way, but things like including and communicating with the fans and also sees what a massive potential this club has for success on the pitch and, at the same time, as an investment.

This could be a major turning point in the history of the club - I just hope the rollercoaster throws us up this time, instead of down.

He is just the first to throw his hat into the ring.There could be others to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    He is just the first to throw his hat into the ring.There could be others to come.
    There had better be others to come, bit awkward if he's only one.

One thing is for sure Ashley will only sell the club with his sole interests at heart not the clubs. Cant wait to get rid now the HMRC are all over us. Another massive feck up on his watch whether the club end up in court or not. The likelihood is that we wont get a Mansoor, but whoever does finally buy us would have to go some to out do Ashley for feck ups especially two relegations that were completely avoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    One thing is for sure Ashley will only sell the club with his sole interests at heart not the clubs. Cant wait to get rid now the HMRC are all over us. Another massive feck up on his watch whether the club end up in court or not. The likelihood is that we wont get a Mansoor, but whoever does finally buy us would have to go some to out do Ashley for feck ups especially two relegations that were completely avoidable.
    I was just thinking before that maybe he´s in a rush to sell becuase he´s worried of the effect the HMRC investigation will have on the SD share price. HMRC will still punish who they need to punish but if he´s not owner of NUFC anymore then the importance of his link to the scandal in the press will pale into insignificance.

It wouldn't surprise me that any deal has in it that the Sports Direct adverts stay up until all instalments are paid and it'll be structured for at least two years.

i'm thinking that too

Quote Originally Posted by kingstonbob View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me that any deal has in it that the Sports Direct adverts stay up until all instalments are paid and it'll be structured for at least two years.
    TBH I couldn´t care less if it means we get a rich owner who´s prepared to spend!

Ulker X
    Thohir X
    Kraft ? (very rich but a ´tight ship´owner apparently)

Amanda Staveley looks the best option at the minute but I get the feeling the press are, and will continue to be, in the dark on this. (If only that would stop them guessing all the time).

All we need to be concerned about is Ashley leaving the club in a healthy position, which it is.
    Then we just have to hope that whoever comes in will (at the very least) run the club on what the club generates and not running it on the never never basis.

Just think back not too many years ago when a lot of fans were wishing Ellis Short was our owner, or someone like him, who cares about the club, apparently.
    Can anyone remember when Ashley was the ultimate devil who was going to run this club into the ground then leave it dead and buried?

The arguments about Ashley apologists against those that despised him and how the grass will be greener no matter who comes in as long as Ashley goes.

Well, it looks like the time has finally come to get rid of the man that many love to hate at every opportunity. the man who's to blame for every ounce of bad that the club finds itself in.

Now we can have a new owner. A new messiah who can give Rafa the cash he needs and constantly top it up, as and when required so that none of us have any real complaints.

Let's just hope that this messiah really is just that; seriously.

A north east club with an excellent loyal set of fans.
    One club in one city.

A fantastic stadium.

What's not to like?
    The problem is, it has to be subsidized to play among the elite.
    An owner must bank roll it to compete higher up, whilst keeping a calibre of manager like Benitez.

The only other option is to make sure the club runs from it's own coffers like Ashley has been doing, which means we have to rely on shrewdness.

Let's just hope we don't get an Ellis or a Portsmouth type scenario...or an Anzhi Russian job where your owner runs out of patience and gives up.

There's a lot of if's and but's and what not but I just hope we have exciting times ahead for a long time to come and not dining on fresh lobster for a few seasons to be followed by crab paste from then on with an owner showing dust for an arse.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 18-10-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Aye, that's a good post, Ghost.

I think almost all of us would rather take a chance on a new owner than either stagnate or go backwards under Ashley. We'll never progress under him and, in this league, if you're not going forwards then you'll effectively go backwards as others move past you.

If I'm honest, I think we've missed the boat as far as being in the 'elite' goes but all we want is a club that tries to compete and you never know where that might get you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)